It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study links periodic mass extinctions to "Planet X"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Need a new name for "Planet X", I'm curious as to what they will call it when it's finally discovered. It's a interesting theory proposed by Daniel Whitmire and John Matese.

March 30, 2016 Daniel Whitmire. Photo by Matt Reynolds Daniel Whitmire. FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – Periodic mass extinctions on Earth, as indicated in the global fossil record, could be linked to a suspected ninth planet, according to research published by a faculty member of the University of Arkansas Department of Mathematical Sciences. Daniel Whitmire, a retired professor of astrophysics now working as a math instructor, published findings in the January issue of Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society that the as yet undiscovered “Planet X” triggers comet showers linked to mass extinctions on Earth at intervals of approximately 27 million years.

Continued...

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Why are the Institutions still allowed to go on with this? Only in America..

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: canDarian

This is an interesting idea and I want to hear more about it.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: sosruko

Because they're talking about an unknown planet in a fixed orbit. What should they call it? Planet F?

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: canDarian

It's quite a stretch of a theory imo.

To say it goes through the Kuiper belt is impossible to know just yet as we haven't mapped a full orbit because we haven't actually found the planet yet, we just have an indication that it's there.

Also, the Kuiper belt is 30-50au from the sun. Planet X is estimated to be between 200 and 1200au from the sun.

Some parts are actually quite funny.

"We've been looking for Planet X for a hundred years."

Not exactly. We've been looking for planets for a lot longer and any new discovery is called Planet X before a designation is given. Pluto was Planet X before they named it Pluto.

It just seems to many unknown variables are being explained without actually having any evidence for them.

Still, not a bad hypothesis.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Im saying use common sense... Ever seen a physicist get a Nobel prize, ive seen loads of mathematicians get Nobel Prizes..

+5 more 
posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 09:46 AM
link   

There is evidence that there is a planet out there that we haven't found. X is used for unknown, therefore Planet X.

edit on 3/30/2016 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

edit on 3/30/2016 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58I thought NASA had found two awhile ago?

So it's X and Y then ..

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: sosruko

Im saying use common sense... Ever seen a physicist get a Nobel prize, ive seen loads of mathematicians get Nobel Prizes..

Scientist claims there's even more evidence of Planet Nine's existence

Don't confuse Astonomy's Planet X with the Niburu crowd.

link   
a reply to: 0bserver1

They thought they had but weren't able to confirm the data as far as I know.

link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

There is evidence that there is a planet out there that we haven't found.

Im not sure what to reply to that, i would send a *gif with Jean Luc Picard..

zaph your awesome with aviation, and if i have any question about aviation im gonna run directly to you.. Im gonna say i never saw that reply..

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

A mathematician is a scientist, as far as i know.. Even if they are in the world of imagination..

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 09:53 AM
link   

A mathematician is a scientist, as far as i know.. Even if they are in the world of imagination..

Did I say otherwise? What are you getting at?

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Exactly what im implying

The hard part isnt imagination, its reality..

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Exactly what im implying

The hard part isnt imagination, its reality..

I'm not a mind reader. How about putting forth some additional effort and posting a post more than one or two lines in length? The snarkiness isn't necessary either. Just explain what you are trying to say and stop being coy.
edit on 30-3-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Olivia Newton-John's grandfather won a Nobel prize in Physics
edit on Wed March 30th, 2016 by damwel because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Now a new, prediction-driven search for a massive, distant planet is under way, spurred by orbital quirks among some of the solar system's most distant objects. That search will be accelerated thanks to a new analysis that provides circumstantial evidence for a seriously big, yet-to-be-discovered planet very far from the Sun.

Batygin and Brown have taken this idea to the next level. Their analysis shows that the solar system's six most-distant objects not only have clustered perihelia but also follow elliptical orbits oriented the same way in space, angled below the ecliptic plane by about 30°. All told, these six orbits are so similar that there's only a 0.007% chance of this having occurred by chance. Moreover, these copycat orbits couldn't simply be a holdover from the solar system's formation. Over time, subtle perturbations from the giant planets would cause them to slowly drift apart. Something must be actively keeping them corralled.

www.skyandtelescope.com...

Yes it's still hypothetical, but something is causing some oddities out there.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I always find it hard to understand why they can find planetary bodies from other stars better then in our own solar system.

It's just speculation to say that some planet X is trowing rocks at us..

link   
a reply to: damwel

And we are still in the world of imagination, it should be named, Nobel Prize for mathematicians, Physicists works in a realm of physical Objects.. Math has theories about an object..

link   
Is there really a NINTH planet in our solar system? Scientists say they have even more evidence of mysterious world

Looks like evidence is mounting for a planet 9.

Since its discovery at the beginning of this year, the mysterious ‘Planet Nine’ has had scientists looking for the signs that could confirm its existence.

Now, astronomer Mike Brown of Caltech, one of the scientists behind the January announcement, claims he’s found further evidence to support it.

The giant hidden planet is thought to sit on the edge of our solar system and is 10 times more massive than the Earth, gaseous, and similar to Uranus or Neptune.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join