It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bernie is Burned Out

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I truly hope Sanders does run independently after the primaries if Clinton wins and wins only by super delegates.

Here is a quote and great break down by Denis Miller, i think. Correct me if someone else said it, please.

"Hey, kids. Hillary has 1132 pledged delegates without the super delegates factored in. Sanders has 818 of the same. Hillary has 467 super delegates (given out by the powers that be in the Democratic Party) for a total of 1599 delegates. Sanders has been awarded only 26 super delegates for a total of 844 delegates. Flip the super delegate distribution and she would have 1158, he would have 1285. He would be winning. It's a rigged game over there, young people. They're going to jam her down your throat. Don't take it. Rise up."

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

Sen Sanders should join the Green Party, it would give them a boost!

After seeing the dirty tricks of the DNC and HRC, I would love to see Sen Sanders run without the extra Dem party BS!

Just say no to Hillary!

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: AlaskanDad

That's an interesting thought. Surely they would be well-aligned on most any issue.

originally posted by: amazing

"Hey, kids. Hillary has 1132 pledged delegates without the super delegates factored in. Sanders has 818 of the same. Hillary has 467 super delegates (given out by the powers that be in the Democratic Party) for a total of 1599 delegates. Sanders has been awarded only 26 super delegates for a total of 844 delegates. Flip the super delegate distribution and she would have 1158, he would have 1285. He would be winning. It's a rigged game over there, young people. They're going to jam her down your throat. Don't take it. Rise up."

That's an interesting spin, but I don't think it is quite accurate. The super delegates are not "given out by the powers that be in the Democratic Party." They ARE the powers that be in the Democratic Party. And in this case, prior to any primaries, Debbie Wasserman-Schultz, as Chair of the Democratic Party, went around to each of these delegates in an attempt to "sign them up" for Hillary's campaign. Since most of them are office holders themselves you can imagine the kind of quid pro quo that was going on. She managed to get over 400 pledged with somewhat over 200 who refused. Sanders' 26 super delegates were not "awarded." They chose to support him.

Now, you can play with the numbers and claim that IF they were opposite, Sanders would be ahead. But you have to ask, why would they be? What can Sanders offer the super delegates that is better than what can be offered by Wasserman-Schultz? Things like support in dollars for a re-election campaign, for example, or maybe choice committee memberships. Unless Sanders is elected, he can't deliver. Given that a great many of those "super delegates" are, in fact 2-year term congressmen in the House, it's a very practical decision for them.

The key is not in the super delegates, but in the remaining states. If Bernie truly is strong enough to win the delegates in these states, then he could make it. My state has yet to hold its primary, and Bernie is seen to be pretty strong here (Washington). But the people who need to be convinced to support Bernie are regular voters. Do you think Bernie has a chance in California? Right now the polls show it's 42 to 29 Clinton. That's 475 delegates right there.

And that's enough to get it.
edit on 3/16/2016 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

originally posted by: IAMTAT
This has become an Establishment vs. Anti-Establishment election.
With Sanders and Rubio ushered out last night...Hillary Clinton and the Democrat Party..now, officially, personify 'The Establishment'.

And the GOP really doesn't like Cruz either. All their 'Establishment' candidates are history: Kasich (almost), Rubio, Bush, and a host of minor ones. Remains to be seen whether they will follow their own studies that said they should leave the selection to the voters, or whether they will self-destruct.

If this charade goes into a brokered convention....who do you think will rise to the occasion?

My money's on Bush...the corporate neocon establishment isn't going to sit idly by and let a clown like Trump steal their thunder. To much $$$ is at stake to let Trump have any power.
edit on 16-3-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

The Sanders family has one member already in the Green Party!

The British Green Party has named Larry Sanders, brother of presidential candidate Bernie, as its new health spokesman.

Larry Sanders, who has lived in the UK since the 1960s, stood at the general election as the Green's candidate for Oxford West and Abingdon - coming in fifth place.

In a statement issued on Thursday afternoon, the 81-year-old said while 2016 would be a "good year" for the Greens, the party was "not in the public’s eye as much as we should be".

Commenting on Bernie's run against Hillary Clinton for the Democratic presidential nomination, Larry said: "Bernie’s main platform is almost identical to the Green Party's."

source

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: AlaskanDad

Further proving Bernie wants to make America into the hellhole Europe is.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Bennyzilla

America needs to be a part of the modern world; as if the US of A is not a hell hole. After all we are number one with the highest amount of citizens imprisoned, and spend more the all others on our military.

America is a great place,

if you're a lobbyist!

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

originally posted by: AlaskanDad

That's an interesting thought. Surely they would be well-aligned on most any issue.

originally posted by: amazing

That's an interesting spin, but I don't think it is quite accurate. The super delegates are not "given out by the powers that be in the Democratic Party." They ARE the powers that be in the Democratic Party. And in this case, prior to any primaries, Debbie Wasserman-Schultz, as Chair of the Democratic Party, went around to each of these delegates in an attempt to "sign them up" for Hillary's campaign. Since most of them are office holders themselves you can imagine the kind of quid pro quo that was going on. She managed to get over 400 pledged with somewhat over 200 who refused. Sanders' 26 super delegates were not "awarded." They chose to support him.

Now, you can play with the numbers and claim that IF they were opposite, Sanders would be ahead. But you have to ask, why would they be? What can Sanders offer the super delegates that is better than what can be offered by Wasserman-Schultz? Things like support in dollars for a re-election campaign, for example, or maybe choice committee memberships. Unless Sanders is elected, he can't deliver. Given that a great many of those "super delegates" are, in fact 2-year term congressmen in the House, it's a very practical decision for them.

The key is not in the super delegates, but in the remaining states. If Bernie truly is strong enough to win the delegates in these states, then he could make it. My state has yet to hold its primary, and Bernie is seen to be pretty strong here (Washington). But the people who need to be convinced to support Bernie are regular voters. Do you think Bernie has a chance in California? Right now the polls show it's 42 to 29 Clinton. That's 475 delegates right there.

And that's enough to get it.

Remember that Sanders was 20 points down in the polls in the last state he won. So he might do better in Cali than we think.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 05:07 PM
link   
As a percentage of GDP military spending for USA isn't even in the top 10. You can't look at total money spent when dealing with a budget. The US spends more because they make more.Number one in defence spending used to be Israel if things haven't changed.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I think Bernie will stay in the race till the convention no matter what happens. It gives Hillary a platform to talk about issues. There is also a chance he will be Vice President . I know he says he doesn't want that position but I doubt he would turn it down. So Hillary/Bernie ticket would be a strong democratic ticket to run against the republicans.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 05:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: nyjet67
I think Bernie will stay in the race till the convention no matter what happens. It gives Hillary a platform to talk about issues. There is also a chance he will be Vice President . I know he says he doesn't want that position but I doubt he would turn it down. So Hillary/Bernie ticket would be a strong democratic ticket to run against the republicans.

He wouldn't give up senate seat for VP. That would be incredibly stupid on his part.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 05:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: nyjet67

Good points. I really don't believe it when a politico says they won't take the Veep job. I'm wondering on the GOP side if Ben Carson would take the job.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 05:40 PM
link   

The democratic choices are as exciting as choosing between a rice cake and a bland tofu cube to eat.

All the drama still can't erase the point that it's two elderly white establishment democrats.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

The democratic choices are as exciting as choosing between a rice cake and a bland tofu cube to eat.

All the drama still can't erase the point that it's two elderly white establishment democrats.

And two establishment candidates on the right as well. I think Sanders is less establishment than the three of them, but Cruz is being controlled by the establishment to take out trump who is a Billionaire and good friends with everyone in the establishment...So, can you be more establishment than that?

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Bernie has been in the senate so long that Abraham Lincoln went to Bernie Sanders High School.

Hillary just lucked out by sleeping with the right people.

Cruz is Canadian and doesn't count.

That leaves Trump, someone who has never held political office.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 06:02 PM
link   
If Trump had controlled himself better, he may have seen a majority of Bernie supporters go to him, but instead Trump is acting like a narcissistic dictator calling for violence, torture, and murder, and appealing to racists everywhere---which will be a big NOPE for Bernie supporters. Hillary will get the vote just to keep it away from the party of hate.

Republicans -- little advice -- go back to being closet racists. Talk more about taxes and spew less hate. Every once in awhile side with the unarmed guy getting killed by police instead of calling them all thugs. Pretend to be decent and don't be afraid to abandon the racist bigoted voters... be humanitarian, and stop being anti-science. Just some basic levels of human decency and reason could have democrats vote republicans. Less Palin/Trump/Cruz, more Ron Paul/Kasich. It's not necessary those people's politics... but people who seem to genuinely care. It's hard to explain what caring means... Never mind, you wouldn't understand.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 06:21 PM
link   

I suppose she could still be indicted, but that doesn't mean the delegates would vote for Bernie by default.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 06:33 PM
link   
It broke my heart when it happened to ron paul, now bernie too. I cant believe hillary will be the next president, makes me gag everytime i think about it.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 06:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Bernie has been in the senate so long that Abraham Lincoln went to Bernie Sanders High School.

Lincoln never went to high school. In fact, he only spent a month or two in formal education.

Hillary just lucked out by sleeping with the right people.

Mostly women.

Cruz is Canadian and doesn't count.

His mother was American, so he does count.

That leaves Trump, someone who has never held political office.

But he's fired a few who have.

Just pickin' on ya! Star for you.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 06:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

I suppose she could still be indicted, but that doesn't mean the delegates would vote for Bernie by default.

Now THAT'S an interesting scenario! I wonder what would happen if that came to pass. I'm thinking a DEM controlled government won;t do it, but just...what....if...! Get the popcorn!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join