It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The mysterious Shem, son of Noah

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I think the most mysterious person in the bible is Shem. It is because of Hebrew tradition and meaning of the Name. Shem can literally mean Name or it can mean god. The tower of Babel has the people saying" Let's make a name for ourselves." But in Hebrew it's "make a Ha-Shem..." which literally means "make a god" in the Tanakh.

But the most interesting thing about Shem in Jewish tradition is that he is also Melchizedek, who is alive when Abraham is so Shem must be outside of the 120 years limit set after the flood or Abraham lived shortly after the flood which nobody really knows.

Is Shem/Melchizedek someone divine in Judaism? I think so.

Well I would like to see what everyone else can add to this because I find it very interesting. Semites are very abundant, Jews are actually the minority Semite, but they own the term. What's up with that?

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Sassanid

Something I never understood. If Noah's family were the only survivors, we're all products of incest.

Or there was another Ark.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 04:27 PM
link   

I thought that the "120 years" was referring to about how long people had until the flood came - not how long the lifespans would be. I consider that the lifespans just naturally started to decline due to genetic mutations accumulating from the time of the "original sin". If you think about it, with only those left in the ark, the world population was reduced to just three main family lines all through Noah for the male lineage, with the three daughters-in-law contributing to the female lineage. That would limit the genetic variation and amplify some of the deleterious mutations potentially contributing to the decrease in lifespan.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Something I never understood. If Noah's family were the only survivors, we're all products of incest.

Maybe Noah and the boys were from West Virginia?

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sassanid
But the most interesting thing about Shem in Jewish tradition is that he is also Melchizedek, who is alive when Abraham is so Shem must be outside of the 120 years limit set after the flood or Abraham lived shortly after the flood which nobody really knows.

Never heard that one, always suggested it was a theophany of jesus holding communion with Abraham. "Prince of Peace", "High Priest of the order of Melchizedek"

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Three sons and three daughters-in-law, cousins can marry cousins, it is possible.

Adam and Eve on the other hand???

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Maybe we have a lot of junk DNA for a reason, maybe those experienced their expiration date.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Or a fleet of them, the Tribe of Noah.

You have seen this and there are many convincing explanations that argue against it but all of them are perhaps even more unlikely than that it is what it look's and tests suggest that it is, a large double ended boat or ship.

And you may also have heard of this,
www.noahsark.it...
What if Ed Davis sighting was not the same but yet another of these ship's that just happened to be part of the same fleet.
www.noahsarksearch.com...
www.arkdiscovery.com...
angel-strike.com...

Of course there are arguement's against the Drogue stone's but they tend to be claims of too many of them (some may have been later reproductions made to emulate the original ones and also this argument against hinges on them being too heavy for a rope, it missed the point that water negates much of the weight due to the stone having higher bouyancy in water since water is much denser than air and is also based on the false concept that the ancients could not make a strong rope, well that would be news to the builders of baalbek and the pyramid's so of course that arguement also falls flat on it's nose, also if there was more than one boat then of course that mean more drogue stone's).

edit on 8-3-2016 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Or the ENTIRE earth did not actually flood...but Noah's 'known' world did.
Modern humans were killed...but earlier humans such as neanderthals survived elsewhere.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 06:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978

Three sons and three daughters-in-law, cousins can marry cousins, it is possible.

This is an argument older than the Translation of the bible from the hebrew texts but this may be one of the more plausible solution.

www.kjvbible.org...

How does god shape the clay, does he take earth and shape it or could that clay have been animal man, man without divine (higher dimensional entity) soul, the breath of god which he put into his finished avatar's adam and eve which may have been intended as a new race to spread that soul into the world naturally.

Time is not the same for God, biblehub.com...

The egypitian creation story starts with there god's coming from a primal island in the middle of the nile, some have interpreted this as being aliens whom came from the Celestial nile the milky way seeding the earth but that is another story.
The Babylonian creation story has a noah like character, not identical but so close many think the Hebrews borrowed it from the Babylonians (though it could have been the other way around).
The epic of Gilgamesh has a flood story.
The hopi indians are claimed to have had a flood story.
Many people from all around the world have flood story's, though one tribe in the jungle's of east asia make' there houses with upturned boat like roof's and claim they came from somewhere in the sky.
Many creation story's including a japanese one start with a primordial sea and darkness and two god's, male and female (stormy flood waters perhaps).

Using quantum based hypothesis I can even suggest how a flood that covers the globe could be achieved (I will leave continent tilting and massive tidal waves for my ideas on the ruin's near Cuba).

Imagine if you will a parrallel reality were there is an earth that is a water world, smaller core, more H2O making it a large but less dense world that is in the same orbit as the earth and is in fact the earth in another distant reality.
Now you are really angry and want to wash away a mistake or something that your enemy has destroyed form one of the multiple reality world's you have been tinkering with, you have control over the division between realitys and can merge them and seperate them using your science.
You merge these two ordinarily serperate reality's bringing them into phase with one another, of course the matter of each will retain it's own quantum state even as you make them come together, water from the water world will simply appear in the air and inside and outside structures so a roof is no protection but you can selectively protect areas as you will and that water will fall like rain, air from the non water world will bubble up in the water world as they both merge, you are perhaps because you can only choosing to only do this at the outer layers of these planets since you have selective control over this phase merging, the water and the atmosphere.
As you merge them the whole of the none water world is submerged but the plant gains in mass so it moves into a closer, slower orbit in both reality's which are now in partial synchronisation and then you phase these two reality's back out of there synchronised state, the water returns to the water world, the atmosphere to the non water world, no massive tidal wave patterns of washed away flood plains just a world slowly drying out with now much deeper ocean bed's and it's continental margins pushed down under the normal sea's after being crushed under the immense pressure of a 12 mile deep ocean, the combined mass slowly diminishes but the orbits of the world both still hold the signature of this event as they have been changed though they both move faster due to there lower mass and move back into higher orbit's around there version of the sun but both are now in an eliptical rather than perfectly circular orbit around there sun's for instance.

Not reality but just one scenario out of trillion's that are possible in a quantum universe.

edit on 8-3-2016 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: davidchin
Nah, 120 years is set after the flood, by God.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Butterfinger
You never heard it means you haven't studied Judaism as a separate religion, the Christ theophany is all Paul.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Can a mod please switch this to spirituality section, I goofed and picked the wrong section. Thank you.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 07:30 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

Why are you ranting about everything BUT Shem/Melchizedek?

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

Thats the other wait a minute… after Cain killed Able he went over the hill to those other people-- tilt…

…what other people? Weren't Cain and Able first born?

BTW: The above quandary is my biggest argument for how life got here. It was brought here.
edit on 8-3-2016 by intrptr because: BTW:

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 07:40 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

Personally, the ark is symbolic of interstellar real world versions. The only way they could preserve that much life and 'reset" the world was cryogenically preserve embryos and DNA, then hit the planet with a BFR.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 07:47 PM
link   

www.biblegateway.com...

I don't know if Shem is the same as Melchizedek. Is there a verse for that?
It says that Melchizedik means king of Peace, resembles the Son of God, king of righteousness, and continues as a priest forever.

I don't believe Melchizedik is Shem. Please provide proof, or resources.

I know Melchizedik is a threat to darkness.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Read it once and you will know that it was Noah's sons and their wives. You always have smart as answers in regards to bible content, and it's obvious you've never read it.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 08:31 PM
link   

I think this is well stated and based on solid understanding. I hope it helps.

www.christiancourier.com...

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 10:40 PM
link   
a reply to: KEACHI

(Potion redacted)

Its a fairy tale. I starred you anyway.

edit on 8-3-2016 by intrptr because: redaction

top topics

<<   2 >>

join