It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stop Smooshing words together in serious discussions

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: MrsNonSpecific

It's like any current buzzword or phrase - when I first heard journalists and newscasters saying 'Tweet us' or 'follow us' etc I found it very cringe worthy, but it's now part of our vocabulary.
These things are jarring and annoying but I'm not too worked up by it and doesn't irritate me to any great degree.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Morrad

Well,that was quick! I would like to see it in print. It makes it more real. I have to say that I do do a 'Delia' on occasion in the kitchen. Also a word in the Oxford English Dictionary... But she has been doing stuff since the 70s so it was a slow crawl into the dictionary for her.

Delia

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 05:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrsNonSpecific
Dear people of the English tongue,

I know it is an ever moving thing and I can understand teenagers doing it who only seem to be able to think in 150 character sound bites but the news? Serious reporting of current events? You are speaking allowed to viewers. You have time to speak in full, grammatically correct sentences.

"Brexit" has become the common phrase in mainstream media use. It's rare to see a news report or political interview on the topic where the phrase doesn't appear, that's why it's now in common use amongst the public.

edit on 6-3-2016 by Motorhead because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 05:15 PM
link   

But how could you be tired of things like Snowmageddon and Snowpocalypse and Snowzilla ... all names for major winter storm situations that killed numerous people?

I agree that it does sort of cheapen events that should have a measure of gravity to them.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Motorhead

What came first, the media using it or people?

I just find it irritating, hence the rant.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Everything becomes this huge great thing, for example, we are now referring to inclement weather as Storms. I know they are meterologically measured to be classed as such, but it's not like it's a hurricane. Your brolly turns inside out, and the puddles on the pavement, where I live get a little bigger.

I understand if we flood, that is continuous rainfall for weeks isn't great and it can ruin people's lives, but the US have this stuff hit them all the time. A bit of perspective.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 05:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrsNonSpecific
a reply to: Motorhead

What came first, the media using it or people?

I just find it irritating, hence the rant.

It certainly is irritating. I believe it was a media creation, coming off the back of "Grexit" being used to refer to Greek withdrawal.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Bunch of jealous nit-picky micro-managers.

What are you so nervous about anyway?

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 05:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

Bunch of jealous nit-picky micro-managers.

What are you so nervous about anyway?

Change, innovation, progress, and the breaking of tradition often confuses and frightens people.

They are commonly referred to as conservatives.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Just discovered Obama, Barack is in there as well. It appears the Oxford dictionary is turning into a mini-encyclopaedia. I wouldn't call that progress.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 06:56 PM
link   
ATTENTION:

The topic is never each other and this has to stop. If you are not interested in the topic or just here to derail a thread or post off topic stuff, please move on to something else.

Do not reply to this Post.

Blaine91555

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 09:36 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I'm not sure I would call slang to be progress. It's more like a fad. The idea that you are creating "new" words by smashing two existing words together to create a trendy term is just that - a fad. It's not a "new" word anymore than breeding two different breeds of dog together creates a new breed. The proper term for that is a hybrid or a mutt, but now we call them "designer dogs" and charge phenomenal amounts of money for them. People are silly if they think it's progress.

Want a "labradoodle?" Go to the pound and adopt it. You don't need to buy one, but because someone smooshed two terms together and "branded" it, they can get away with charging upwards of $1,000 for a pedigreed mutt and someone like you will think that's progress?

I won't knock someone's ability to run a good con game and make a living off of folks' idiocy, but let's get real. I wouldn't exactly call it progress either.

This isn't related to ideology and everything related to being trendy and the fads of the moment. Right now it's simply the "cool" thing to do even if it is somewhat less then serious. I don't mind it where appropriate, but make no mistake, when I am referencing the Snowpocalypse, I am in no way capable of taking the situation seriously.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

they can get away with charging upwards of $1,000 for a pedigreed mutt and someone like you will think that's progress?

"someone like me" what exactly does that mean? Apparently you think you know me.... Go ahead tell me what you think of me, who I am, how I live and think...even what you think I look like, women in my life, everything. You are obviously stalking me. Get it off your chest.

I'm really interested!! If you don't want to talk about it here....U2U me. I might have a few surprises in store....I'll even give you my imdb page and personal website address and links to some of my work.

I have nothing to hide.....aren't you even a little bit curious?

I'll send you a dream to give you a little indication of what I'm about....
edit on 6-3-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 12:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Morrad

I understand your point. What is the definition? How do you do an 'Obama'? Send me the link

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 04:05 AM
link   
A friend and I have a running joke regarding "Queens English" dammit or I don't have to pay attention.

Yes, we know we need the stick pulled out of our butts!
I will say I hit firm resistance from my grandchild about using Zed for Zero much to my dismay. While my grasp on the rules of grammar are tenuous at best, there is nothing wrong with using more established words instead of this farcical shorthand of crap you see nowadays.

Didn't ANYONE but me see and thoroughly enjoy the UK series "The Adventure of English"????

There's always time to be all "hip" and "slangy" but without the basics? You become a one legged guy in a @$$ kicking contest.

( Hugging my 1950 edition of the Oxford Dictionary to my heart)

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 06:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Caver78

I saw that TV show and I loved it. I just think "proper" English should be used in the news, as I feel it cheapens it somehow.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 07:02 AM
link   
It all depends on the question if you... the misses and the nonmisses refer to each other at home when talking about this thread,,, is it on ATS or Above Top Secret?

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Oh thank God! I've been convinced for years that show had a demographic of one.(me)

For what it's worth it's Above Top Secret the Conspiracy Forum. Anything else leads to confusion.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Caver78

"Above Top Secret the Conspiracy Forum from the Above Network" you mean?

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Heh, I hate when folks use text-speak when typing on an actual keyboard with all the characters available to them. That's just laziness or stupidity. However, I must rise to the defence of the portmanteau - which is when you combine two separate words that both have a common meaning either relative to each other or linking them.

Portmanteaux have been around for a looong time, and you use them all the time - motel (motor and hotel), fandom (fanatic and kingdom), newscast (news and broadcast), avionics (aviation and electronics), cryptanalysis (cryptogram and analysis), smog (smoke and fog) and many, many more. So I can live with portmanteax.

In fact, as an addicted Gunpla builder (GUndam and PLAstic model, Gundam itself being a portmanteau of gun and freedom) I soon learned that the true masters of portmanteaux are the Japanese. Holy cow, they love them some portmanteaux. My favourite: "U. N. SPACY", with the "SPACY" being "Space Navy".

^_^

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join