It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ESA Planning to Build and International Village… on the Moon!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 06:18 PM
link   
This is interesting and I'm surprised that no one else picked up on this article sooner. Anyway, the ESA in cooperation with an international array of Space agencies including: NASA, JAXA, ROSCOMOS, and many others, has decided that they are setting their sights on the Moon. The plan is to build a sustainable colony there between the 2020's and 2030; a colony which serve as a staging platform for research and jaunts into the solar system.

At present, the plan is for the base to be built in southern polar region, which exists in a near-state of perpetual twilight. Whether or not this will serve as a suitable location will be the subject of the upcoming Lunar Polar Sample Return mission – a joint effort between the ESA and Roscosmos that will involve sending a robotic probe to the Moon’s South Pole-Aitken Basin by 2020 to retrieve samples of ice.

This mission follows in the footsteps of NASA’s Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (LRO), which showed that the Shakleton crater – located in the Moon’s southern polar region – has an abundant supply of water ice. This could not only be used to provide the Moon base with a source of drinking water, but could also be converted into hydrogen to refuel spacecraft on their way to and from Earth.

This is pretty exciting, ATS! I'll wait till it's actually complete and in operation before I really get excited but the news that the ESA is making plans for this to happen is worthy of note. So, what say you, ATS? Good move.....Bad move...?

www.universetoday.com...
edit on 4-3-2016 by lostbook because: word add

Mod Note:

Please do not use all caps in thread titles. Thanks.
edit on 3/4/2016 by Blaine91555 because: Edited all caps from title.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

I think that's an ambitious estimate , I would like to think it possible and the will is there to make it happen but I doubt that in 15 or so years we will have an ongoing presence on the Moon.
I look forward to seeing man return to the Moon sometime in the 20s though.

edit on 4-3-2016 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I would like to volunteer, I could be the first human to die of old age on the moon.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Forget a jaunt into zero-orbit, Mr Branson, I hope that in my life time, the facility may exist for me to take a holiday on the moon and visit this village.

It would indeed be a mind blowing experience for me, as I'm sure it would be for a great many.

Cool story, go human race you good thing!!

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Mars and the moon?
Aliens watch out! Humans are getting big boy pants

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Just wait till we get the good tech the bastards have been sitting on for years.

Just need to get the keys to the shed off the rabid psychopaths.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Now this is the kind of news I like to read about !

Fingers crossed that this comes to fruition in our lifetimes.

I'd be curious to hear about how they plan to work around the barrage of incoming cosmic radiation, space dust, and meteor impacts on this "moon village".

Top notch sci-fi technology stuff here folks !

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 11:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge
Now this is the kind of news I like to read about !

Fingers crossed that this comes to fruition in our lifetimes.

I'd be curious to hear about how they plan to work around the barrage of incoming cosmic radiation, space dust, and meteor impacts on this "moon village".

Top notch sci-fi technology stuff here folks !

Cool news, isn't it? I think the plan is to use Regolith (Moon dirt) in the actual construction mix for the walls. Regolith is a natural repellent to radiation if I remember correctly.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 03:51 AM
link   
People did pick up on this subject.
You just didn't search...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 5-3-2016 by Iamnotadoctor because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 07:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Iamnotadoctor
People did pick up on this subject.
You just didn't search...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

That's one of MY older threads.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 09:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: errorcode
Mars and the moon?
Aliens watch out! Humans are getting big boy pants

Humans confined to their own backyard unless we discover how to travel between two locations faster than light.

new topics

top topics

join