It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

African-American couple upset over words written on IHOP receipt

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 06:19 AM
link   
I am convinced, stories like this is why Trump is getting votes. The anything I don't like is racist, sexiest, homophobic, and so on crowd.

How much do you want to bet, if the of the people at the table was running late. They come in to the IHOP and tell the wait staff, "I am running late, I am supposed to meet my friend here. Have you seen them" If the wait staff asked "who are you meeting" or "what does the person look like" That the word "black" would be the first descriptive word out of their mouth.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 06:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Schkeptick

I think the real reason they're upset is that restaurants in general are super racist. My experience with this is in Texas specifically. I've posted online before about volunteering to take "black" tables because everyone else said "they never tip" or whatever.

As a former restaurant owner I can give my anecdotal opinion that there are certain ethnicities that fall under the category of 'likely not to tip'. Being the pseudo nice guy that I am whenever the staff got stiffed by one of these ethnicities I would make up for it by taking money out of the register. Sometimes stereotypes are stereotypes for a reason.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 06:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
I suppose they could call Saul Goodman - but even he would tell them it's a frivolous suit that would get thrown out.

I bet Saul would have weaseled himself a week of free dinners first though.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 06:29 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

lol!! We used to live in Summit County Colorado - bf worked at a restaurant where they took the customer's first name....when it was the height of the season, lots of Texans came to ski. One jerk in a ten-gallon hat came swaggering into the restaurant all snooty and, well, Texan.....(no offense to you Texan readers - we're talking about the Cliven Bundy type; pushy and 'entitled') and instead of his name, bf wrote "Tex" on the ticket.

When the order was ready, the manager called out "Tex!" "Tex!" - to no response. Until 10-gallons realized it must be him.

We thought it was hilarious. Mind you, this was back in the peak oil days, the early 80s, when Texans were all rich, spent loads of money, and treated all of the locals and staff like slaves.

edit on 3/3/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 07:01 AM
link   
If my service person wrote "Baldy with a babe" on the receipt would not upset me at all, because I am bald! a reply to: ReadLeader

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 07:11 AM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Rofl.... good stuff Buzz!! In law enforcement this would be called profiling

Thanks for posting

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 08:23 AM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader

My pleasure, ReadLeader! LOL....ah....good times.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Was it insensitive? Maybe... Should he just have used the table number instead or another descriptor? Yes. I hope no one makes a big deal out of this.

By the way just a friendly note it's law suit...not suite

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: moresco
Should he just have used the table number instead or another descriptor? Yes.

Take out order, no table number, so he was free to use colorful descriptors for the patrons.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: trollz

No one is saying it's wrong to see that someone is black or even that segments of society label themselves. It's this instance where a couple was identified by race when it was unnecessary. On a restaurant receipt.
Do we get an ID tag for the server that says Stupid Waiter? Can't identify his customers except by race?

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
Do we get an ID tag for the server that says Stupid Waiter? Can't identify his customers except by race?

You can certainly scribble something on the receipt when you sign. I have seen some pretty odd messages on the guest checks myself.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Maybe he just should have used their name then. I've worked in a few restaurants in my day and this wouldn't fly in any of them and for good reason. It's not really that big of a deal but, if a white server did this it would be a little different.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: moresco

I agree, it would have been the smart thing to do but I can tell you from experience you get a little punchy in the restaurant business and logic often exits from the premises on occasion.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: moresco

Mores, agreed, thanks for posting!!!!

Dang voice to text thanks for the 411 on that

S u i t

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Indeed

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Makes me wonder, wouldnt the tape in the register hold ALL of the same info as on the original ticket?

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Thanks for posting

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Not necessarily. The dupes usually get spiked when the order is completed. Some places then like to match them up by hand to the register receipts, it really depends on the POS system and how they run each establishment.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 10:49 AM
link   

I see. Me still thinks we have NOT seen the end of this...

Austin couple furious at IHOP receipt made out to ‘BLACK PPL’ — but waiter was black, too

S O U R C E

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 11:25 AM
link   
No case here unless the judge is an irrational SJW. This is just another example of POPs (Perpetually Offended People). Society, and judges, need to stand up to them to prevent their "stinking thinking" from infection any more people. They just can't get along with other people. I'm a white person. I don't get all uppity and superior if someone calls me a white person. I can't dance either, and I don't care if someone observes that, because that is a fact. Facts are not racist.

edit on 3/3/2016 by bulrush because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Lol the times we live in Jesus people get upset over every little thing >_>

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join