It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

African-American couple upset over words written on IHOP receipt

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 02:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Prezbo369
I don't think if the customers were white the receipt would say 'white people'...

I know of some places in town where it might. Say, some of the BBQ in the east side of town ... you know, because I might be at the only table with white people at it.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

Well, if he's the one to input the information, then yeah, he's to blame. I'm not going to say he was being racist, but insensitive, sure. It's no different than if you see a black man drop his wallet. I would hope you pick it up and call out to him "Excuse me, sir, you dropped your wallet.", and not "Excuse me, black guy, you dropped your wallet."

Just seems rude to do it any other way, especially in a customer service based job.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader

Looks printed not written.

But that is just my opinion.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: BIGPoJo

It still has to be keyed in by someone, in this case it was Dwayne, racist black waiter.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: yorkshirelad
Wow this thread shows perfectly why racism is so bad in the states, It's the unbelievable statements by people who don't realise the veiled racism that identification is. The comment "they are black so it's not racist" Sheesh !!!!!!

The fact that those CUSTOMERS have been identified as being different due to the colour of their skin IS RACIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FOR FECKS SAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Simple question.

"Would it be sane and productive for a police dispatcher to put out an All Points Bulletin, "Be on the lookout for a 6 foot male wanted in the connection of an armed robbery." Should the police stop every male to find the perp? Seriously, this is getting ridiculous!

"Veiled Racism" what a hoot!

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: BIGPoJo

It still has to be keyed in by someone, in this case it was Dwayne, racist black waiter.

Sounds like a pilot for a tv series.

Dwayne. Racist Black waiter.

8/7 central

On Fox!

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
Sounds like a pilot for a tv series.

Dwayne. Racist Black waiter.

8/7 central

On Fox!

Oh, what madcap fun Dwayne and his sit-com pals would have calling each other thinly-veiled, racist names and printing out POS tickets with pseudo-insulting epitaphs for the clientele.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
How is it racist?
They were people, they were black. I don't see how that's insulting.

Yeah!
And the waiter was black!
People get butthurt way too easily.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 02:49 PM
link   
They are feigning outrage in order to cash in on a settlement from a major corporation.

They love that ticket.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I own a bar and grill and we had a similar incident. We hand write our orders for the kitchen like diners used to do. We often put down descriptions of people to make it easier for anyone running the food. We had a black couple sitting at the end of the bar that ordered food. When food comes up from the kitchen the cook puts the ticket in the basket with the food. The bartender is supposed to punch the ticket but in this case the ticket was left in the basket and delivered to the black couple. The bartender wrote down their description as "crack couple." They were furious. They thought their description was that we assumed they used crack because they were black. They were sitting in front of a megatouch machine, and in the service industry those machines are referred to as the crack machine. I don't think they believed the explanation.
edit on 2-3-2016 by RammerJammer because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader

Sounds like an opportunity for a lawsuit to me!

I'm done with this US race crap. Some white people don't like blacks; some blacks don't like whites; some hispanics don't like either.......reminds me of the old joke song: "I hate you, you hate me, that's the way it seems to be".

Get over it. My solution? If black people are offended by something........have them take it to their government. There's no fixing anything where individual preferences are concerned and it seems to me the harder society is steered on this issue, the more blow back reaction there is.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Has anyone ever considered the possibility that the waiter is in on this? The customers and waiter could (not saying did, but it is plausible) have colluded ahead of time to put this down in order to create a legal issue. If it goes to court, and any monetary damages awarded, they split is in some form later.

It is plausible....for anyone to do (regardless of skin color).

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

Oh no!

Not Dwayne (the racist waiter, trademark pending Fox Network) !!!

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

We may have to change the theme of the series from a sit-com to a crime drama if that were the case.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Dont think it was racist, just unprofessional.

Simple solution, just dont eat there.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Not eat at the IHOP!?!?

Where else do you expect people to get a Splashberry and a Big Steak at 3 in the morning you heartless cad?

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Law & Order, Racist Restaurant Unit

Starring

Leonardo Decaprio as Skip
Morgan freeman as Dwayne
and
Special Guest star, Chelsea Clinton as Wanda, The Love interest!

(I tell ya, this writes itself!)

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

We can cast Cate Blanchett and Ricky Gervais as the offended black couple.

#lawandordersowhite

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 03:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
How is it racist?
They were people, they were black. I don't see how that's insulting.

Exactly. Especially since the waiter was also black. They call each other a lot worse than black.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

I think it's because they were identified by race at all. How about table 10 or man with green shirt or couple......

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join