It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

John Oliver Destroys Trump!!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 09:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Konduit

jonh oliver is an American citizen

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

I watched his entire half-hour tirade carefully and his points were weak. I doubt very much if it influenced anyone. His whole show is just a leftist circle jerk every week.

Furthermore, I'm a fan of comedy and this joker barely qualifies. His material is likely written for him and he just reads it off a screen.

This was nothing more than a desperate hit piece and was even ineffective as that.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Annoyingly, my iPad will not allow me to keep a tab open to work on a reply properly. What I like to do is to load up source material in one tab, and the post in another, but it will not keep my post if I change tabs... The little bugger. This means I am having a hard time copying and pasting links to video for example.

If you watch every Jon Oliver video available, you will see he has had a bit of a go at everyone at one time or another though. He does, however, respond to things in the order of the amount of stupidity there is to enjoy within them. So Dakotas environmental and oil industry regulations get a whole 20 minutes, asset forfeiture laws get about the same, but maybe some less BS heavy issue gets a little less time.

Trump, by just straight up lying to everyone he has ever met, about everything, for no reason than to further his own wealth however? He deserves every one of those minutes.
edit on 29-2-2016 by TrueBrit because: Grammatical error removal and other issues

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 09:16 AM
link   
What unsurprising responses these all are so far. Attacking the messenger but not the message. Good form people.

Yet not one person denies anything that is being said or can say that it's not true. So now that everyone has thrown their little fit and whined about having to accepting the truth about Trump the question is will it change anyone's support for Trump???

Does the fact that Trump is a liar and fraud matter to those who are supporting him???

Do his supporters even give a damn about the truth at all or are they happy being lied to???

Because they say they are tired of being lied to and that is why they want change but if they continue to support Trump without even addressing his pile of lies so far then they are equally "full of it" just as much as Trump and can't be taken seriously.

It's one thing to fall for a scam when you don't know it's a scam. But to fall for it when even you know you're being scammed, well that's just foolish and self defeating and there is no excuse and nobody to blame but themselves. But like Trump I'm sure they'll just blame someone else and continue to tell everyone that they were right all along and keep believing the lie.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 09:21 AM
link   
It was hilarious, but even with Oliver's vitriol, the things he was talking about were not really that bad. I was waiting for something big and damning but, alas, nothing of the sort.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Urantia1111

Really??? Showing multiple examples of Trump's lies and hypocrisy is weak??? I fail to see how that makes any sense.

But calling it a "Leftist circle jerk" certainly does show you're bias though. So I'm not surprised that is your opinion on it.

Again, this isn't about John Oliver. Why not try opposing what is being said here rather than attacking the person saying it. Why not address Trump's lies??

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: ChaoticOrder

Thank You ChaoticOrder, I found that enjoyable..I think what will happen with Trump is that he will get so close, but at the last minute he will have to pull out for some personnel reason and he will be on all the TV channels in tears apologising to all his loyal supporters, and then it will be normal service resumed.
This whole nomination business is too much, should've taken at most a month, then move on.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

To "prove" Trump is a lousy business man, they play some 5 second clip of his daughter recalling an off-the-cuff comment he allegedly made to her on the street like 30 years ago.

The points were of poor quality and obviously patched together haphazardly to counter a bunch of random stuff Trump has said over many years.

And, mind you, not a PEEP about Bernie or Hillary. Just a list of illogical irrelevant cheap shots desperately trying to bring Trump down.

I think even Oliver knew the material was weak.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
Trump, by just straight up lying to everyone he has ever met, about everything, for no reason than to further his own wealth however? He deserves every one of those minutes.

If this is true then why has it taken 8 months for a Comedian to point this out?

When you have a candidate that is overwhelmingly popular yet you see MSM outlets posting articles with this in the title "John Oliver has the Donald Trump takedown America has been waiting for" you know that the establishment is trying to steer the public in the direction they want.

Also the timing of the video, two days before Super Tuesday when Trump is about to sweep a huge victory, is quite suspect.

I just refuse to get suckered into 8 more years of the Clinton's. Sanders and Trump were my picks from the beginning, but unfortunately Bernie has already been railroaded out of the election so who are you going throw your support behind?
edit on 29-2-2016 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 10:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
Calling people names is not going to help change their minds. "Dumb" "Stupid" "Mentally Challenged" are just a few names I've seen used here on the boards.

Let's face facts — Trump supporters are not going to change their minds no matter what. He exposed the mindless adulation of his his supporters to the mindless adulation of his supporters:

"I could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn't lose voters."

Why should anyone have a higher opinion of his supporters than Trump himself?

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Konduit
Is this the same guy who said Voter ID doesn't prevent election fraud and that people should be allowed to vote without showing any form of documentation?

First Piers Morgan, now John Oliver. Why does the American establishment love to use Brits as political mouth pieces?

He's pretty much just invaluable joke material so the stupidity of the man is just inspiration for every comedian nomatter what country of origin how about john steward and bill maher? or is it a extra burn when other then muricans shows the obvious dumbness of this orangutan look alike?

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 12:14 PM
link   
John Oliver seems to be cherry picking here, making hasty generalizations, sometimes referring to things that happened nearly 30 years ago, only proving his bias. But in the same respect, Trump supporters should accept Trump's foibles, dishonesty and flip-flopping to avoid the very same cherry picking. Sure, he wasn't straight forward on some things, which isn't out of the ordinary given the political nature of what is occurring. Oliver's points and Trump's failures are quite insignificant when compared to Trump's successes.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Well I'd have to say that as an American, John Oliver knows a lot more about America than most Americans. But such is the willful ignorance of those Americans who love to live in their tiny little microcosm unable to see the big picture or what's really going on, even when right outside their own front door.

To say John Oliver is irrelevant is ridiculous. He quickly shot up in popularity due to the fact that he will come out and address issues that the center-right media are either too scared, or too bought to address (as if we have a real left wing media here that has any power at all). That said, John Oliver may have had an effect on FIFA. But as others have stated, Trump supporters don't care if Trump embodies a mountain of traits they would normally be against. Mob mentality (mentality being a 'soft' word here) and xenophobia triumphs. Scary times when a charismatic leader who has the power to say the things he does gets massive support. He is the true politician and the true establishment.

And for those that still gripe about the voter fraud issue, he just stated the truth... that time and time again, voter fraud is a right wing media hype issue and doesn't actually exist in real life. In the end it's about the facts.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Well, first of all it should be pointed out that Oliver is not just another part of the news media. He delivers deeply unpopular truths about a whole plethora of things, to people who do not necessarily want to hear them, in a way which makes them incapable of coming back at him with doing at least a modicum of research, which would, of course, necessitate that they increase their level of connection with the facts, realise he is in fact correct, and perhaps, just maybe, change their minds about some things, or better yet, teach them to think about things before forming opinions on them.

But on the matter of it taking eight months, and the question of why it is a comedian that has managed to point this out, in the face of deafening silence from other outlets of political news...

Look, for a start, Last Week Tonight took a break between the holidays and February, so they have not had eight months to get that segment out. But you are right, they could have had a segment out previously, but perhaps, just maybe, Oliver was genuine when he said that he, and the team, did not want to do a heap of election material, and perhaps he just came around to the idea when he realised "Holy crap...the buffoon might win it...Lads, best get the coffee on, because none of us are leaving till we at least TRY and save America from the Donald."

And as to why it had to be a comedian, rather than another politician, or a pundit, or an MSM news host, or talking head...Are you serious? These are the people who would, in the opinion of a Trump Believer (like a true believer, but not true, just a believer), be the ones who are part of the system, the problem, those who help brain wash the population into picking representatives who care more about banks and oil, than people and places (this despite the fact that Trump is a man who absolutely values tradable commodities far more than he does pretty much anything else).

If one of them said anything against Trump of any weight, then you know what? It would just be fuel on the fire, par for the course, just what everyone expected. Oliver is just about the only person who COULD have said anything, without being easily accused of being overly partisan, too deep with any of the candidates to have any trust placed in him, and so on, and so forth. He can also get away with an awful lot more, because to many, he is just that British guy, so who cares what he thinks? Murica is gonna do what Murica is gonna do, and no one can stop it!

Mr Oliver occupies a unique position in America right now. Unlike Piers Morgan, he is actually supposed to be quite an interesting chap, and pleasant as well, so people like him an awful lot more. On top of that, he is just different enough from an American, that if he says something that an American would "know better" than to say, folks can brush his utterances off as being something "that funny Limey bastard said!", rather than engaging FULLY with it. This also means, that he is in a position where his messages are not going to be seen as part of the party political broadcast system that is MSM around election time. People are going to have their guard down. The message will be received, because there will be that assumption that Oliver does not have a dog in the fight.

And to a great extent, Oliver himself has nothing to gain by Trump failing to secure the presidency. If anything it will make Oliver's job an awful lot harder, if someone like Bernie Sanders got into power, for example, or anyone else who had some workable plan to get America out of the self imposed dark ages its education system is in, where text books older than me are still being used in some class rooms, where the Bible might appear in a science lesson unless someone does something about it, and where sexual education boils down to shaming and confusing young people until even THINKING about intercourse makes them get checked out at the sexual health clinic.

Education is just one example amongst THOUSANDS UPON THOUSANDS of things that American people need in order to secure their nation against not just the present, but the future. Roads and other infrastructure are in a dire state, veterans cannot get what they need in terms of care and assistance, people are still paying for health insurance, rather than just paying taxes because some accountants got together and told the Republicans to try to convince idiots that everyone paying a little bit is worse than some people bankrupting themselves with medical expenses... The list goes on and on, of backwards, stupid, inept, useless things that are STILL happening in the most powerful nation on Earth, that are not happening ANYWHERE ELSE OF NOTE!

Don't get me wrong, everywhere has its problems. But other places, are at least prepared to talk about the solutions without getting ideological about it, which is IMPOSSIBLE to do in America, according to some people. So who better than a man at whom people laugh because it is his job to make it so, to offer a gentle reminder that the most psychopathic of the psychopaths who has ever set his sights on presidency of the most powerful nation on Earth, is in fact a psychopath, and has very nearly won? Who better to deliver that information than a comedian?

After all, this election is turning American politics into a laughing stock, a joke (like the last twenty years really, except a more concentrated, unbelievable, deeply terrifying and also utterly hilarious version of those twenty years), so why not get a professional to deliver it?

As for Bernie... Did I miss something? Did he quit? Till he has, I would say Bernie Sanders would be my ideal, if I were living in America, if it was my home. You can put a rooster in a hen house, although it might lead to consequences that you could live without. But if you put a wolf in there, you have no chickens next morning. Just because said wolf is wearing the proverbial clown shoes and stripy pants on this particular occasion, does not change the shape, length, or intended purpose of its teeth.
edit on 29-2-2016 by TrueBrit because: Grammatical error removed

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   
OP, you open the thread up to ad homs on Oliver because you're using a comedian as source material we're supposed to take seriously.

When we obviously don't. He isn't even funny, but I digress. I've never understood why people regurgitate what some hack comedian says on TV says and peddle it as real truth.

Maybe that very fact is contributing to why so many fools are falling for Trump--they think comedy is news.

edit on 2/29/16 by NthOther because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Hilarys supporters are the ones that are in denial, she called black males "superpredators" wth is that ?a reply to: Jason88

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: okrian The BIG PICTURE is what You don't seem to get. Does the media generally rally against the bad person ?,,no

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 03:36 PM
link   
If there was really a problem with Trump then why do people make things up and put words in his mouth, he says enough crazy things they can use. THis guy nor any other guy will change anyones vote, not mine, not yours not anyones.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Medicator
Hilarys supporters are the ones that are in denial, she called black males "superpredators" wth is that ?a reply to: Jason88

I've heard folks on ATS call South Carolina voters 'low information voters;' I've heard that blacks 'can't waste their vote on Sanders'... I don't even know what that means. Hillary calls black men super predators and they don't even seem to care... there's some sort of cognitive dissonance going on. And it's insane.

As for Trump and the John Oliver bit, I maintain it doesn't matter whatsoever, Trump voters don't care about being lied to, they have a very different agenda.
edit on 29-2-2016 by Jason88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Medicator

First of all, I think you might be misunderstanding the term "The Big Picture".

This term, in case you were under some misapprehension about it, means to stand back, and observe the totality of a thing.

However, one can only know the value of looking at the whole picture truly, when one has already scratched ones head for some time over the complicated array of pixels that make that picture up, from a much more in depth and granular perspective. If ALL you look at is the big picture, the tendency is to miss something important about one of the many pixels involved.

In this instance, if you simplify the crap out of everything to the point where nuance is meaningless, nothing is important, and the only consequences involved will be a mild and very short lived hangover, then seeing Trump to the White House door is a sensible idea, and a great way to see the big picture...

But if you look at each pixel, if you have paid the diligent attention necessary when sifting through and electing a PRESIDENT, then the last place you want Trump is in the driving seat of anything more powerful than a golf buggy, because taking into account the big picture, all of his history, all his dealings, his failures, his debts over the years, you will realise that this man has all the capability to do the job, that a springer spaniel has to walk on The Moon, absent a human to guide it there.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join