It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there any reason to live?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 12:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Murgatroid
What of the people born by accident?
Something breaks, things get loose and meet another thing we can barely see.

In Satanism the birthday is most important and agrees with you though.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 12:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Wtfiswrongwithall

S/he is my reason to live
S/hame it's complicated

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Boobs

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 01:48 AM
link   

If you can look out into the vast, impossible hugeness of the world, at every flake of snow, every drop of rain, every plant, animal, and person walking the world, all the sandy dunes, all the rainforests, the oceans, the mountains, the most barren places, and those places teeming with life, and say that there is no reason for living, then you have your priorities all wrong.

Yes, it would be lovely to have someone to enjoy those things with, but not being able to enjoy them at all, just because you are currently doing so without companionship? I cannot relate to that at all. Don't get me wrong, lonely is a terrible condition to be in. I have been suffering with it for some years now. It certainly can get depressing, but when I get like that, I strap my boots on, and get out into nature. Go for a walk in the forest. Get up early and watch the sun rise over something of an interesting shape. Get rained on. Do something primal, natural, get your head in the now, into every sensation, every experience you can encounter. Be mindful of the joy to be found in what is, rather than bemoaning what is not.

There is plenty to enjoy about living, which has nothing to do with other people, and everything to do with being yourself.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 02:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Wtfiswrongwithall you know a relationship with a woman can be a pain in the ass. When you realise that, what you gonna do. Get to know yourself, be comfortable being single. The grass isn't always greener. You only get one shot here. No one gets out alive, so make the most of it and enjoy it. You've got nothing to worry about, meditate, explore the wonders of your own mind. You'll realise that is a great life adventure in itself with limitless possibilities and self discoveries, the adventure of a life time, better than any movie you could watch. Don't believe me, try it.

I should write those Facebook platitudes

edit on 29-2-2016 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 02:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
Boobs

A great philosopher once said

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 04:14 AM
link   

There are two likely explanations for your current situation:

1) Loneliness has messed with your head to the point where you feel a romantic relationship is necessary for your survival.

2) You might be undergoing an existential crisis of sorts. If this is the case, then I would recommend reminding yourself that these feelings of emptiness are temporary, and you can experience happiness and fulfilment.

You don't need a romantic relationship to survive and don't put so much pressure on yourself to be in one.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 04:40 AM
link   
As my mother told me, romance is just the icing on the cake. After 20 years of being unhappily married, I've had 18 years without romance and I adore my times without men or children just to explore selfish me. My life has been fulfilled through my children, my volunteerism and my "pollyannaish" feelings about my future. I love to question everything and discover the new. Doesn't mean I don't feel somewhat lonely at times and wish I had that great tingling romance in my life. But I do appreciate all other experiences: explorations, with friends and family even without that special man. Maybe one day. My health tends to hold me down more than anything else-but every day I can talk to my children, my friends and even enter a stranger's conversation and learn something new I am glad to be alive. I truly feel we are all essentially alone in our journey; whether romantically involved or not. You have still many areas of your interests-you gotta love you and know yourself and you'll never get bored.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 04:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr

originally posted by: crazyewok
Boobs

A great philosopher once said

I follow the KKK!

Keep it short, keep it simple and keep it stupid.

That will get you through life!

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Depending on who you ask, either:

1) There is no scientific or logically compelling "meaning" of life or "reason" to live, and all empirical data, studies, and theories currently prevailing suggest that existence is nihilistic and simply a natural consequence of matter and energy interacting according to the laws of physics. At best, we possess an extremely narrow form of free volition, and at worst we may lack free will entirely. Any semblance of meaning is derived from existential terror management, cognitive dissonance, the unique capacity of homo sapiens to be cognizant of its mortality and to think about it, and is an illusion; an emergent property or system we call consciousness, but is ultimately simply neurology, perception, and a combination of randomness, chance, and delusion.

2) Everything happens for a reason, there is a reason for your life, and it is (insert mystical, religious, or secular philosophical reasoning.)

Or

3) (What I believe, at least at this moment.) No one can adequately prove #1 or #2 beyond all rational doubt. Moreover, short of simply laying down, not moving, and awaiting death, we are all engaging in some modicum of belief in some reason - even if only a functional one - for which there's no compelling proof. Because really, there is no compelling proof of a reason to perpetuate our existence beyond biological instinct and the human desire to find meaning in existence. Yet... even knowing this... even the most ardent, skeptical, dedicated atheist doesn't just lay down and die. They get up. They love. They live. They advocate and defend the rationality and logic of their skepticism, even as it - objectively (or something like it) - points toward meaninglessness in the grand scheme of things.

We feel these emotions - love for our families for instance, which we perceive as feeling like more than just neurotransmitters and hormones - and actions have meaning, even though logically it seems probable the universe will one day grow cold and dark, and become devoid of life, or any sign that any of us ever thought a thought or created a thing or expressed an emotion or said/wrote/signed/signaled a word.

What's more, nothing we are seeing or interacting with is "what is really is" anyway. What we see and interact with is dictated by the wavelengths of light we can sense, and the form the matter we can tangibly feel exists in, and the particular manner in which our brains create our picture of reality vs, say, a cat's. According to physics, it's all just highly specific perturbations of a medium (one I have yet to see ontologically or dialectically defined to my satisfaction,) and according to neurology, what we see is just a picture of whatever it "actually is" that our brains assemble. Not, in itself, WHAT it "actually is."

So you have the inability to prove meaning or meaninglessness definitively, coupled with engagement with belief - to however slight a degree, and however conscious or unconscious a degree - whether we like it or not, and on top of that... even our most precise, scientific perceptions of reality are, to some degree, subjective either to our consciousness, or to our sensing instruments, and where one ends and the other begins is also not necessarily settled to my satisfaction.

Therefore... I say believe absolutely whatever you need or want to, to make life bearable, and meaningful for you, if you need meaning. Because it's - at least with our current capabilities - all just this amorphous, subjective, indirect picture of reality anyway, no matter how objective and materialist we like to imagine we've become via the rigor of modern academia.

In short... take your pick, and create meaning for yourself if so inclined. Or not.

Peace.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 06:31 AM
link   

if you actually think " having a woman " is the only thing that matters - then i honestly suggest you impliment the nine mill retirement plan

i dont " have a woman " at the moment - but i have loads to live for

there ois more to life

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Man the answer is obvious...

FISHING!

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Living for a dream, for joy, for growth.
Do you have friends? Real ones are able to lift you up.
Do you have family? It can give you comfort and support.

In fact, reasons to live are around, they are everywhere: the smell of spring, the laugh of a baby, the feeling you get when you are swimming in the sea or walking around the new city etc.

Every individual has his or her own reasons to live.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Seriously... If you are in the UK I'll gladly show you how fishing will turn your life around.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Sounds like the deeper you is screaming at ya, Op, wakey wakey.....

“When you’re ready to wake up, you’re going to wake up, and if you’re not ready you’re going to stay pretending that you’re just a ‘poor little me.’ And since you’re all here and engaged in this sort of inquiry and listening to this sort of lecture, I assume you’re all in the process of waking up. Or else you’re teasing yourselves with some kind of flirtation with waking up which you’re not serious about. But I assume that maybe you are not serious, but sincere – that you are ready to wake up.

So then, when you’re in the way of waking up, and finding out who you really are, what you do is what the whole universe is doing at the place you call here and now. You are something that the whole universe is doing in the same way that a wave is something that the whole ocean is doing… The real you is not a puppet which life pushes around; the real, deep down you is the whole universe.” – Alan Watts

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 11:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Esoterotica
Life is totally pointless, with or without love. Love can make things nicer & help pass the time but make no mistake about it: this life has no meaning.

So? It's still way better "to be" than "not to be"
Life's meaning is what people make of it. Have fun, go out for a walk in the forest. Stop to smell the flowers, or the awesome scent of a fresh opened can of coffee.
We don't need to have a "meaning" for life to be worth living.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 11:10 AM
link   
There is no reason to live, or any point in living! unless you make reasons or have a belief in something, and with that, the reasons can become endless, some of us have lots, others have few and many have none, but things are forever changing, you may find your reason tomorrow, you just never know!

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 11:14 AM
link   
there's tons of reasons to live. just sounds like you have not found one yet.

my reason is to be able to experience and learn as much as i can while i'm alert and active in this current reality. part of my excitement of life is the prospect of another adventure after death. perhaps when we die nothing happens. perhaps when we die another adventure opens up.

think about that, too. what if you stopped "living" and just found yourself in a different reality that you are not prepared for?

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 11:19 AM
link   

"I've hated existing for a long time now because I'm Canadian and the thought crossed my mind sometimes that without a woman there's no point living. "

Because you're Canadian? Go for a walk in the woods. Go fishing. We live in one of the most free countries in the world. Expensive, yes, but our level of freedom is fairly good.

If you think living in Canada is part of your problem, figure out where you might be happier, and try to move there. Australia has koalas and kangaroos! Can't be depressed around them.

A life partner isn't the way to be happy. Don't put that responsibility on someone else, or the relationship won't last. Just get out of your rut. New Zealand also looks like a great place to check out.
Or look for somewhere cheaper, just get out of your rut.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I think if you approach any new relationship in terms of 'Oh darling you are my one and only reason to live!' Then you're putting a hell of a lot of pressure on that other person. Unbearable pressure. Too much for another person to handle.

Another person is never a reason to keep going. If they become your sole reason to keep going? Then, honestly, it's time for professional medical intervention and to speak to a psychologist.

Also, I think many people are very aware of this, and will run away from people who send out 'You are my only reason to live' vibes, because that's a level of crazy that's unacceptable in most healthy relationships.

So my advice to anybody who feels this way is first, heal thyself. Become comfortable with yourself. And only then think about maybe being with somebody else.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join