It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump says he'll 'open up' libel laws if he's elected - USA Today

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 07:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

"Rabble rabble! PC culture is making America so ungreat and it's a yuuuuuuuge problem! All these gays suing over cakes and discrimination... low class whiners. But... just don't say anything mean about me, though. Okay? I'll sue."

- Trump (interpreted)

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 09:08 PM
link   

He sounds like Putin.

Maybe he'll order hits on journalists who disagree with him.. Like Putin does.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 09:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: clay2 baraka

He sounds like Putin. Maybe he'll order hits on journalists who disagree with him.. Like Putin does.

Make sure the HIT targets are 'spelled' out correctly (Trump is notorious for Twitter misspellings); otherwise 'Sponge Bob Square Pants' may become an inadvertent proxy for an important info-commercial late night frying pan huckster needing elimination.
edit on 28-2-2016 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 01:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: clay2 baraka

He sounds like Putin.

Maybe he'll order hits on journalists who disagree with him.. Like Putin does.

He won't have to issue orders ... he'll just Beckett them. (As in Henry II "Who will rid me of this meddlesome priest?").

Trump admires Putin however (not to mention Mussolini and apparently Hitler) ... so I wouldn't be surprised that he would be aping their tactics though.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 02:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
More from the USA Today article in the OP:

Trump said that under his administration, if the New York Times “writes a hit piece, which is total disgrace, or when the Washington Post, which is there for other reasons, writes a hit piece, we can sue them and win money instead of having no chance of winning because they’re totally protected.'

“You see, with me, they’re not protected,’’ he said.

To Trump, money is the way he keeps score. If they right a hit piece and sell it, they make money, Trump makes none. Therefore the NYT is winning. If Trump on the otherhand sues, and takes the money away from the NYT... he's winning. That's what it comes down to.
I genuinely have no words for once.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 05:49 AM
link   

WASHINGTON — Donald Trump promised Friday that the media would have major problems if he wins the presidency.

“If I become president, oh, do they have problems,’’ Trump said at a campaign rally in Fort Worth, Texas.

Trump, a candidate for the Republican nomination who is leading in the polls, threatened to “open up our libel laws’’ under his administration and make the media pay a hefty price for writing “hit’’ pieces.

“This is only going to make it tougher for me, and I’ve never said this before,’’ Trump told the crowd. “I’m going to open up our libel laws so when they write purposely negative and horrible and false articles we can sue them and win lots of money.’’

Trump says he'll 'open up' libel laws if he's elected

I can't even genuinely express how many different things are Constitutionally wrong with these few lines by Mr. Trump.

I'll start here:

1. The President of the United States doesn't "make laws" remember?

2. The First Amendment guarantees Freedom of the Press ... not Freedom of the Press That Kisses Trump's rump.

3. Put as succinctly as possible ... What in The holy French Onion Dip is the guy thinking??

What say you ATS?

It must best worst before it gets better.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 06:03 AM
link   

myself to reregister Republican and vote for him ..

"reregister?" You Americans have a funny system...We (Australians) can change sides at any time at any election...without telling anybody...

what am I not seeing?
edit on 29-2-2016 by TheConstruKctionofLight because: edit

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 06:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
Sometimes I love him...

Sometimes he is every bit of a Buffoon as he looks when his hair flails and he puckers his lips.

This is one of the latter times.

That tge problem. Some times he says something that 100% makes sense..... Then ruins it by saying or doing something dumb.....like me!

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 06:50 AM
link   
He didnt say he'd sue people who CRITICIZE him, he'd sue people who LIED about him, which I feel EVERYONE should have the right to do so

“I think it’s very unfair that The New York Times can write a story that it’s very much false, and they basically told me is false,” he said. “All I want is fairness.”

thehill.com...

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 07:30 AM
link   
a reply to: HomerinNC

.... And we do it's called libel.

The laws already exist.

So does the Constitution.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 09:04 AM
link   

This is something I do not agree with. It goes against freedom of the press. The press should have the right to have an opinion, and even to publish *gasp* facts that show a public figure in a negative light. Donald Trump wants to be able to do whatever he wants without consequences, even as President, and that is ridiculous. The media has the right to criticize the President and it should be that way.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 09:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: HomerinNC
He didnt say he'd sue people who CRITICIZE him, he'd sue people who LIED about him, which I feel EVERYONE should have the right to do so

“I think it’s very unfair that The New York Times can write a story that it’s very much false, and they basically told me is false,” he said. “All I want is fairness.”

thehill.com...

I'm not convinced that Donald Trump is grounded enough in reality to know when someone writes the truth about him. He probably sees anything negative written about him as being "false."
edit on 29amMon, 29 Feb 2016 09:06:26 -0600kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 09:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

and false articles

Already illegal.

How some of you don't see where this is going is laughable.

Laffable.

This would definitely be true if Donald Trump was sane and not dangerous, but I have a feeling that he is neither. Hopefully none of the crazy ideas he's interested in gain traction, but he has been performing "miracles" so far so I wouldn't be surprised with his track record.
edit on 29amMon, 29 Feb 2016 09:10:48 -0600kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
"reregister?" You Americans have a funny system...We (Australians) can change sides at any time at any election...without telling anybody...

what am I not seeing?

In the general election you can vote for anyone regardless of your affiliation. During primaries though, most parties limit who can vote in them to only those who have registered for their party. In some states this isn't legal and they have to let anyone vote. The idea is that the Republicans don't want a bunch of Democrats to come in and screw up their primary.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: vethumanbeing
originally posted by: Boscowashisnamo
a reply to: 727Sky

Bos: Trump's yammering comes from a place of constitutional ignorance, and it appears he once again engages his mouth before thinking. Doesn't his handlers act in a filter capacity? Does he believe with a lead so big over the other candidates he can verbalize anything that comes to mind and suffer no repercussions? Or is it merely for shock value?

He is always talking about "His People" (handlers) advising him; yet refuses to answer the questions posited as to who these people are. What are they actually; voices in his head: he says it this way its all 'magic' working in his favor.

Thanks for the clarification. In all my reading on Trump, little is mentioned as to his handlers/advisers in regards to vetting the contents of his interactions with the press. It doesn't appear they hold much sway to temper his outbursts, and you'd think some of his off the cuff remarks result in damage control for his team. One things for sure: some of his remarks display a lack of working knowledge on how government functions in the real world, but is seen as a DC "outsider" who's gonna get things done and make America "great" to his supporters. I'd just like to hear the details of how he will accomplish this at some point.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 01:53 PM
link   

WASHINGTON — Donald Trump promised Friday that the media would have major problems if he wins the presidency.

“If I become president, oh, do they have problems,’’ -Trump

Trump, threatened to “open up our libel laws’’ under his administration and make the media pay a hefty price for writing “hit’’ pieces.

“This is only going to make it tougher for me, and I’ve never said this before,’’ Trump told the crowd. “I’m going to open up our libel laws so when they write purposely negative and horrible and false articles we can sue them and win lots of money.’’

Who decides if an article is "negative and horrible"?, horrible for who? Too bad for Nixon he didn't think to do something like this, history would be a bit different.

I wonder if the Russian people had such obviously ominous warnings as these before Putin put a deadly strangle hold on their media. It does seem to work.
edit on 29-2-2016 by LordSnow21 because: mysterious reasons

edit on 29-2-2016 by LordSnow21 because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-2-2016 by LordSnow21 because: added

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Wow! Just think: Donald “the Schlong” Trump, President of the United States of America. What a glorious day for the Mob! This is the stuff of dreams for every Goomba and GoodFella worth a flip. If all goes well, la Cosa Nostra will declare November 8, 2016 as an international holiday for the organization; the day they finally put one of their own on the throne. Imagine the first day in office: the Donald will privately meet with all the bosses of the major crime families for a celebratory power luncheon. What a sight that would be: Donald “the Schlong” at the head of the table surrounded by Vittorio “the Terminator” Amuso, Michael “the Nose” Mancuso, Peter “One Eyed Pete” Gotti and Giovanni “John Boy” Gambino. The King is dead! Long live the King!!

Seriously, I’ve been wondering when the other candidates would start insinuating that Trump has had past business ties with organized crime. I think Rubio mentioned it the other day, so the cat’s outta the bag now. My guess is the sh*t’s about to hit the fan.

Like I mentioned in another post the other day, I might just write-in Koko the Guerilla for President. Voting for any of the other candidates would make me feel dirty somehow. Koko does have some good qualities. For one, she’s a lot smater than any of the current candidates. Here’s a cool vid of Koko consulting with her good friend, the late Robin Williams.

Cheers!

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: netbound

Like I mentioned in another post the other day, I might just write-in Koko the Guerilla for President. Voting for any of the other candidates would make me feel dirty somehow. Koko does have some good qualities. For one, she’s a lot smater than any of the current candidates. Here’s a cool vid of Koko consulting with her good friend, the late Robin Williams.

Cheers!

Does it say anywhere in the Constitution that the President has to be human, or just a natural born citizen?

Koko was born in San Francisco.

Mayor Stubbs has my vote.
edit on 29-2-2016 by Junkheap because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Junkheap
Good point, JunkHeap! Koko's a natural born primate. Plus we'd probably regain some respect around the globe by putting a female in charge. Works for me.

I'l put my future in the hands of Koko before I will any of the others currently running.

Peace...

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: netbound
Koko could spell more words correctly than Trump can sign.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join