It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Didcot Power Station 'explosion' reported

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Well, my hopes are that this is not another terror attack; I put it in the war on terrorism, until more comes out-

Hoping for a low casualty rate, but I am afraid this is going to be really bad..

A major incident has been declared following an explosion at Didcot Power Station in Oxfordshire.
South Central Ambulance Service said it has sent its hazardous areas response team to the site, as well as three ambulances and the air ambulance.
A spokesman, who said he thought there would be casualties, said: "We are describing it as a major incident."
Thames Valley Police confirmed officers are at the scene but have not released further details.
Npower said it is investigating.

Here a a few tweets

Twitter users have described an "explosion" as well as "loads of dust".
Adrian Redhead said: "All kicking off at Didcot powerstation, explosion, loads of dust, loads of emergency vehicles. Hope everyone is ok."
He also posted a picture of the scene, adding: "Not sure the side of that building should be missing."
Thames Cryogenics tweeted: "Big collapse just happened at Didcot Power Station. Loads of dust. Not sure if it was planned."

L I N K
edit on 23-2-2016 by ReadLeader because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader
More likely old age.
As the link observes, the coal-fuelled power station has already ceased generating electricity, making it an unsatisfying target for terrorists.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Thanks for posting Dis! I am hoping you are correct. Looked like the OKC Fed building-

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

I'm not being a wise guy but this station appears to no be in operation...did you not read the entire post?

Unless they were doing a demo and it was not operational not sure why the rush of ambulances and air support?

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Didcot A is the station that exploded which has been in the process of decommissioning and due for demolition later this year , this would seem to me to be an accident.
Reports so far from the local council say 1 person confirmed dead but no word on injuries as yet.

edit on 23-2-2016 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 11:43 AM
link   
*looks up Didcot Power Station* Coal... *phew* hope everyone's ok there, but thank god this was a coal burning plant.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: chrismarco

No worries Chris- I was going off of

South Central Ambulance Service said it has sent its hazardous areas response team to the site, as well as three ambulances and the air ambulance.
A spokesman, who said he thought there would be casualties, said: "We are describing it as a major incident."

Here is another updated link, www.itv.com...

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Given how long it's been since the initial reports came out, I doubt it's terrorism. No reports of gunfire, no follow on attacks.

Could be wrong, but the first report I saw is nearly an hour old now. Seems a rather lame terror target, from what I can tell.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: chrismarco
I'm not being a wise guy but this station appears to no be in operation...did you not read the entire post?

That's what I said, in different words. "Has ceased generating electricity", I said

Unless they were doing a demo and it was not operational not sure why the rush of ambulances and air support?

They received reports of people being injured from the collapsing building. Why should they not rush ambulances?

edit on 23-2-2016 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
Didcot A is the station that exploded which has been in the process of decommissioning and due for demolition later this year

I wonder if some charges had been installed for demolition and they've accidentally gone off.

Seems strange a for an inactive power station to just randomly explode

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: ReadLeader
Well, my hopes are that this is not another terror attack; I put it in the war on terrorism, until more comes out-
Hoping for a low casualty rate, but I am afraid this is going to be really bad..

One fatality reported so far. The power station was a coal-fired station closed a few years ago. Suggests an accident during some part of the decommissioning work?

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Ok, sorry if I was abrasive...

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Discotech

From the report I've just seen given by a witness I think that is likely the answer , his words were that it looked like a controlled explosion , three of the towers were brought down about a year ago.

edit on 23-2-2016 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 12:26 PM
link   
This station is not very far from me and i didnt hear or see anything, i knew they were going to tear cooling towers down - i guess one or two decided to make it easy and explode all by themselves!

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Discotech

That's my though, but surely all precautions would be taken to prevent a chain reaction? A WTC style 'global collapse' following over ambitious removal of supporting structures pre explosive demolition may be possible. There could have been a weakness that was not obvious. Sometimes builders don't follow the plans.

edit on 23 2 2016 by Kester because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: ReadLeader

Why oh why does everyone jump up anytime anything goes "bang" and start dropping the 'T' bomb? That in itself is a type of fear mongering. Stop it!!!

Are you worried that, if you don't say you hope it isn't terrorism you'll be labelled a terrorist sympathiser if it turns out to be an attack?

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: djz3ro

It's possible some bitter labourer figured out a way to detonate explosives before time. If it was his one shot and he was a bit simple he might do it.

More likely over ambitious removal of supporting structures pre explosives placement.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Maybe Wolverine was fighting deadpool on the top of one of them?

2nd

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Just seen a photo alleged to show explosives laid ahead of a planned demolition on Saturday. Looks like a big whoops, or a disgruntled terrorist labourer.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 01:05 PM
link   
There was a fire at Didcot B in November of 2014.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join