It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The scam we should not fall for

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Greetings fellow consumers.

I am going to warn and inform you-whatever device you are using to read this will either cease to work or will be needed to be upgraded before 2017. Why? let me explain.

There is something called planned obsolescence-a somewhat dubious business model where...

the obsolescence (the process of becoming obsolete—that is, unfashionable or no longer usable) of a product is planned and built into it from its conception. This is done so that in future the consumer feels a need to purchase new products and services that the manufacturer brings out as replacements for the old ones.

Apple has thrived on this business model for years, and now Microsoft is upping the ante by ending support for windows eight

“upgrading and staying current is important.”

Yeah...but that's just the start. What about the hardware? Delicate components are placed near heat sources so eventually that device becomes beyond repair and therefore a new device is required. if everybody got their phones and laptops repaired then that means a drop in sales so these manufacturers design products to 'self destruct.'

The problem is that consumer electronics don't have to adhere to the same sets of standards while manufacturers of white goods such as refrigerators have to meet a benchmark when it comes to longevity.

It's about time consumer electronics are held to the same standards.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 08:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

Is this something new? I thought this was common knowledge.

Why is it that cell phones seem to "die" just after 24 months (one of the typical contract lengths)?

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 08:06 AM
link   

First off, what a load of BS.

Secondly, Microsoft aren't pushing an end to Windows 8. They've stopped support for Internet Explorer. Massive difference. Windows is the operating system (OS) which makes your system run, Internet Explorer (IE) is a web browser.

Thirdly, computer, laptop and ALL electronic parts fail eventually. Been happening as long as there has been electronics. Almost every part within a computer or laptop is near a heat source. It's unavoidable. That's why there's heat sinks and fans, even liquid cooked systems.

So in conclusion, you're talking rubbish.

ETA I repair laptops, computers, TVs and anything else electronic. Everything is repairable by fixing or replacing parts.
edit on 230823/2/1616 by TerryDon79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 08:07 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Notice that it is Windows 8. NOT Windows 7 NOT Windows 8.1. This has been planned for some time now. Also Internet Explorer 8, 9, 10, should be accompanied by 11 as far as I'm concerned.

Agreed on the planned obsolescence for the most part, but I will give manufacturers credit for upping the quality of PC components in recent years. They are lasting longer overall.

It's about time consumer electronics are held to the same standards.

Obsolescence is more about specs than quality in the computer industry. Old CPU's and Graphics can't keep up with today's higher demands.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Just checked the End of a Life for Windows 8. It's going to be 9th January 2018. And that's just mainstream support. Extended End of Life will be 10th January 2023.

Here the link to it from Microsofts site.
LINK

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 08:18 AM
link   

The service industry has been gone for a long time. We live in a "throw away" world.

It's cheaper to buy new than to fix the old. While we do still build products that last, most people prefer to buy the cheaper product that's replaceable.

It's sad that the majority has that mindset. I'm in the service industry and it pisses me off. Can't change people's desires for cheap crap though. Walmart loves that simplistic mindset of the sheep!

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 08:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: TerryDon79

Just checked the End of a Life for Windows 8. It's going to be 9th January 2018. And that's just mainstream support. Extended End of Life will be 10th January 2023.

LINK

Thanks. Couldn't remember what the dates were at this point. MS has changed them.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 08:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified

LINK

Thanks. Couldn't remember what the dates were at this point. MS has changed them.

It's not unusual for MS to change the dates. They did with mainstream XP and gave an extra 5 years (on top of what they already had) for extended support.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22

A former boss had to renew his "plan" so he could continue to use his phone. That's fleecing.

Like I said, consumer electronics should be held to the same standard as every other consumer goods. Ovens and dryers have to get a seal of approval before the hit the shelves and if a fault is discovered then the whole line is recalled-yet smartphones and computers fly under the radar.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 08:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie

A former boss had to renew his "plan" so he could continue to use his phone. That's fleecing.

Like I said, consumer electronics should be held to the same standard as every other consumer goods. Ovens and dryers have to get a seal of approval before the hit the shelves and if a fault is discovered then the whole line is recalled-yet smartphones and computers fly under the radar.

Consumer electronics are held to a high standard also. If a fault is found within the warranty or extended warranty time you are offered either a fix or a replacement.

I've been in the computer industry (from fixing to server admin and everything in between) since the late 90s. What you're talking about is pure nonsense.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 08:35 AM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79

Thirdly, computer, laptop and ALL electronic parts fail eventually. Been happening as long as there has been electronics.

Thats a bunch of crap. There are light bulbs been burning a hundred years. In WWII the raoyvac corporation made flashlight batteries that could stay on all night to light drop zones in Nazi occupied Europe. (don't tell anyone)

The OPs point however is not that things fail more often which they do, they are shorter lived.

I agree. Batteries, lightbulbs and yes even your precious devices are obsolete quicker than ever,

I know, my generation started the trend in the 80's.

All of a sudden, the newest thing was 'in', out with the old.

(S)uper (V)ery (E)nhanced [C]olor (G)raphic (A)daptors , anyone?

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 08:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: KawRider9

The service industry has been gone for a long time. We live in a "throw away" world.

It's cheaper to buy new than to fix the old. While we do still build products that last, most people prefer to buy the cheaper product that's replaceable.

It's sad that the majority has that mindset. I'm in the service industry and it pisses me off. Can't change people's desires for cheap crap though. Walmart loves that simplistic mindset of the sheep!

Right you are. I made a good living off peoples throwaway mindset in the late 80's and 90's.

Amazed me what they put brand new into dumpsters.

Millions of dollars of inventory turned to 'pennies on the scrap metal dollar'.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Consumer electronics are held to a high standard also. If a fault is found within the warranty or extended warranty time you are offered either a fix or a replacement.

I've been in the computer industry (from fixing to server admin and everything in between) since the late 90s. What you're talking about is pure nonsense.

I've been in the industry since the 80's. He may not be phrasing it the way you or I would, but he's not talking nonsense. You know as well as I, that computer and component manufacturers get by with murder at times, and refuse to support products that should have been recalled. Like Gateway selling thousands of computers with power supplies too small, causing shutdowns, then charging consumers to fix it. Like Toshiba's various problems with their laptops, and refusing to admit it, plus charging consumers to fix their screw-up. The list goes on.

Not that non-computer companies don't have problems, but the computer industry could use an over haul on some things only you and I would probably be aware of. As well as glaring problems.
edit on 2/23/2016 by Klassified because: clarify

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I use two old laptops I was given and run Linux, one with Bodhi the other Ubuntu and they have been perfect for my needs these last 5 years....
edit on 23-2-2016 by slider1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Secondly, Microsoft aren't pushing an end to Windows 8. They've stopped support for Internet Explorer. Massive difference. Windows is the operating system (OS) which makes your system run, Internet Explorer (IE) is a web browser.

Thirdly, computer, laptop and ALL electronic parts fail eventually. Been happening as long as there has been electronics. Almost every part within a computer or laptop is near a heat source. It's unavoidable. That's why there's heat sinks and fans, even liquid cooked systems.

ETA I repair laptops, computers, TVs and anything else electronic. Everything is repairable by fixing or replacing parts.

Yeah I have fixed and built computers before as well. Do you want a cookie?

Face it-these modern day POS are not what they used to be. These computers that are designed to fail. Yes I recognize that you have a water cooled SLI tower with 8 gig of DDR4 but I am not talking about your girlfriend-i'm talking about consumer electronics in general.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 08:45 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Ok. Maybe my statement was a bit too broad. Apart from a few items (purposely designed in such a way) most electronics fail. In saying that though, those bulbs will eventually fail too.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

I get what you're saying, but the premise of the OP was Windows 8 and how electronics aren't held to a standard of other goods.

I know there have been cases of it happening (and law suits that followed), but generally they have to meet certain standards.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Yeah I have fixed and built computers before as well. Do you want a cookie?

Yes please.

Face it-these modern day POS are not what they used to be. These computers that are designed to fail. Yes I recognize that you have a water cooled SLI tower with 8 gig of DDR4 but I am not talking about your girlfriend-i'm talking about consumer electronics in general.

I'm married. And my PC doesn't get much attention.

People want cheap. It's not the manufactures fault. Most people want something that does the job and won't cost a fortune. Mobile phones, laptops, TVs, computers, games consoles etc. All are getting cheaper and aren't lasting as long.

I've still got my old Spectrum ZX 128k. That things a bullet. Cost more than a cheap laptop or computer nowadays though.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 08:55 AM
link   

a reply to: intrptr

Ok. Maybe my statement was a bit too broad. Apart from a few items (purposely designed in such a way) most electronics fail. In saying that though, those bulbs will eventually fail too.

Software, too. Not failing as much as upgraded to maintain security and add features.

Sometimes though, I wished they would leave well enough alone. Every new release, menu, features plus the remote are different. Thats why I got out of compooters back when. The rate of obsolescence was mind numbing, too much to keep up with. Let the kiddies burn out on it. Besides I knew all that whiz bang ever smaller / higher tech was going to be used one day in better weapons to kill more people with and more tracking to control everyone with.

Here we are.

Stuff is also changed more often because they are replacing our metal stuff with plastic, and our organic brains with High Fructose Corn Syrup.

edit on 23-2-2016 by intrptr because: additional and spelling

top topics

<<   2 >>

join