It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GAO denies Boeing Protest of LRS-B Contract Award

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 11:25 AM
link   
It seems as soon as I posted the query to Zaph, the GAO just released the news:

Like an old Quake game the announcement came out loud and clear:

DENIED

Northrop and the USAF are clear to move forward with the Long Range Strike Bomber. Cranked kite it probably be.

link.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: anzha

well that's it then.

Hopefully we get to see the bottom version soon in photos.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 11:31 AM
link   

And now Boeing has a court case thanks to the late revalation of the retirement account.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: grey580

No, if they choose Boeing can file in court now since it was revealed that officials in the acquisition office had an account with Northrop. Whether they do is the question.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Yeah, I was just thinking that. However, Lockheed might be gun shy with the attempt they just had with the JLTV.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   

That could be a court battle that could last some years.

And the guy wasn't even in charge of the acquisition for the lrsb.

I guess we just keep watching.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   

I feel for them, it's quite the smack down.

Give the people (us) what we want and show us some concept art!

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 12:06 PM
link   

No way they wont file, the stakes are too high not to.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Bfirez

If they do, this will be the A-12/ATA MK II court case if its not settled quickly.

Oh that money wasted...and I don't mean just on the contract.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

It doesn't matter if he was in on it or not. He was high ranking in the office, and could have easily made suggestions to people about Northrop during normal day to day conversations about other programs he was involved in, that would go back to swaying them on the bomber.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   

The problem is it's not money wasted for the losing team in light of the A-12 debacle cause now they have a precedence to recoup some of the potential earnings losses.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Bfirez

I get the cost/benefit analysis. I don't think it'll succeed though.

A little more info fromBreaking Defense including the statement by the GAO.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Even if it doesn't succeed in overturning the award, if they end up getting compensation, it's a net win.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Big win by Northrop , now its time to build the bomber, a next win with the 6th gen fighter and 21 century will be the Northrop century

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: darksidius

There will be two 6th gens, navy and air force. I am 100% sure these will go to different companies.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Simple, tell Boeing to STHU and they will buy 20 of their bombers in Dark as a hush payment.

And toss in 5 B1-Rs while you're at it.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Boeing said they are studying the GAO response and will consider whether to appeal to the courts. This sounds a LOT like what they said about the award in the first place: a lawsuit seems even more likely.

Northrop apparently acquired a bunch of lots around the old B-2 plant in Palmdale and are hinting that's where they'll build the LRS-B. SoCal could use the return of some defense contractor jobs.

link.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 02:46 PM
link   

What are the odds that they simply imply behind closed doors that Boeing has another big contract award looming over the horizon to end the controversy here and now.

As F-XX and the F/A-XX grow farther apart, it's looking more and more likely that they will be separate aircraft/competitions, even if they share engines/avionics/sensors.

Since things seem headed that way, I could see the DOD handling the projects the way they handled the F-14 and F-15, (the aircraft that these new designs will be replacing anyways,) and awarding the different birds to separate contractors while skipping the fly-off.

With the state of their current fighter airwings, the USAF/USN need the 6th gens yesterday, and this strategy would potentially save years between RFP and IOC, and it likely wouldn't hamper the quality of the aircraft themselves one bit (especially if the rumors of various 6th gen demonstrators already flying are to be believed).

If that's the case, could the RCO already be in the beginning stages of a solo Lockheed/Boeing F-XX bid, with the plan being to give F/A-XX to Northrop Grumman?

I'd imagine that would shut up any further LockBo LRS-B protests REEEAALL fast...
edit on 16-2-2016 by Barnalby because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Barnalby

Entirely possible.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Barnalby

I'm not sure what grounds the RCO would have for a sole source procurement, unless LM/B had some kind of unique technology - even with major programs, I have never seen a justification for sole source that was based on industry concerns.

Then again I have no idea what kind of FAR deviations there are for contracting shops that operate in the black world, i.e. RCO, SOCOM, and other agencies.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join