It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Miriam the prophetess

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 08:29 AM
link   
· Good day people. I just noticed that Aaron's sister Miriam was a prophetess. Exodus 15:20-21:

Miriam, the prophetess, Aaron's sister, took up a timbrel, and all the women followed her with timbrels, dancing.21 And Miriam led them in the refrain:

'Sing of Yahweh: he has covered himself in glory, horse and rider he has thrown in the sea'.

Does anyone know what she prophesied?

Are there any more prophetess' in the O.T.?

Is she Miriam, Jesus' mothers, namesake (or the other way around, whichever is correct)?

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Rasalghul

What an interesting post! I have no idea, but I know we've got some pretty smart ATSers here that probably do. I'll be looking forward to the answers you receive...

I can say that Miriam lived first. And some people claim that "Mary" is actually a title for a priestess of sorts in the tradition of Miriam, rather than a name. It is also said that the Arc of the Covenant contains a statue or symbol of Mary, but I've never understood how that could be since she hadn't been born yet! It's a little confusing for me.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 08:52 AM
link   

The real prophets and seers, male or female, don't claim they are…

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

What you said makes a lot of sense. Interesting.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 08:57 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr
Agreed. I don't think she claimed it, the author(s) of Genesis did.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 09:07 AM
link   

I don't know why they claimed it either. Usually prophecy is something we look back on and go oh, they saw the future… see?

Not that Royalty didn't utilize seers throughout history…

Daniel, Nostradamus and Rasputin come to mind.

So who knows? Searching…

Edit: Found this…

Link
edit on 16-2-2016 by intrptr because: link

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Are there any more prophetess' in the O.T.?

Yes there are a few of them in the OT

Miriam is one... probably the first mentioned...

Deborah from judges
Judges 4:4
Now Deborah, a prophetess, the wife of Lappidoth, was judging Israel at that time.

Huldah from Kings... who is also mentioned in 2 Chronicles I believe
Kings 22:14
So Hilkiah the priest, Ahikam, Achbor, Shaphan, and Asaiah went to Huldah the prophetess, the wife of Shallum the son of Tikvah, the son of Harhas, keeper of the wardrobe. (She dwelt in Jerusalem in the Second Quarter.) And they spoke with her.

Noadiah mentioned in Nehemiah
Nehemiah 6:14
Remember, O my God, all the evil things that Tobiah and Sanballat have done. And remember Noadiah the prophet and all the prophets like her who have tried to intimidate me.

Isaiah's wife... can't remember her name
Isaiah 8:3
And I went unto the prophetess; and she conceived, and bare a son. Then said the LORD to me, Call his name Mahershalalhashbaz.

And in the NT Anna was called a prophetess
Luke 2:36
And there was one Anna, a prophetess, the daughter of Phanuel, of the tribe of Aser: she was of a great age, and had lived with an husband seven years from her virginity;

And Phillip had a few daughters who were also had the title prophetess, mentioned In Acts
Acts 21:8-9
On the next day we who were Paul's companions departed and came to Caesarea, and entered the house of Philip the evangelist, who was one of the seven, and stayed with him. Now this man had four virgin daughters who prophesied.

So you have a grand total of about 10 in the bible

hope that helps

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Miriam was not unique in the Bible as a prophetess.
I covered the wider topic here;
The Biblical prophetess

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Akragon
a reply to: DISRAELI

I'm smiling... I was hoping you two would chime in.

I'm aware of other prophetesses in the Bible, but do you know what Miriam specifically prohpesied?

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 09:28 AM
link   
All we know, I think, is that she led the women in singing the Song of Moses. Exodus ch15 v21
Perhaps even composed it?

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Thx for the link

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Most times when it came to females little is actually written about what they did...

Keep in mind the bible in its entirety is a very male oriented book...

Women get the back seat... especially when Paul hit the scene...

Ironically, I don't recall him ever being called a Prophet

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Hell yeah that helps, I knew you would have something I was thinking that as I wrote it matter of fact.

You forget one NT prophetess though, the Virgin herself spoke at least to God. I'm not certain if that qualifies actually, doesn't a prophet speak FOR God? Now you got me thinking.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
Miriam was not unique in the Bible as a prophetess.
I covered the wider topic here;
The Biblical prophetess

Don't take it personally Disraeli but I just get angry when I read your stuff, it has a certain smuggish self entitlement tone, maybe I am schizophrenic though so who knows.

I know you're no fan of mine either, but I have no problem with you. I HATE mainstream theology and you didn't invent that so, again, nothing personal.

I'll take a look though at what you have to say, always am willing to hear other people's opinions. Even when I disagree.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon
Most times when it came to females little is actually written about what they did...
Keep in mind the bible in its entirety is a very male oriented book...
Women get the back seat... especially when Paul hit the scene...
Ironically, I don't recall him ever being called a Prophet

Thank you!

This is pretty much my understanding. I've always kind of figured that whatever Miriam prophesied, that it was shared with Aaron and Moses, providing inspiration and motivation and some level of future success in their endeavors... but it wasn't shared with the people.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 10:11 AM
link   

DISRAELI's thread covers the topic in much more detail...

One thing I never though of was stated in his thread...

In Numbers ch12, though, God put her to shame for claiming equality with Moses.

This is actually very interesting... IF one reads about Moses, said person will find he wasn't such a great guy... in fact to me it sounds like he was a horrid person

Yet this so called god shames her for claiming to be equal with Moses... Personally I would say she was probably greater then him... at least as a person... Though, most people would be

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Why does it only say she is Aarons brother without mentioning Moishe? Seems deliberate.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 10:19 AM
link   
He was also really stupid, self admittedly.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Then said the LORD to me, Call his name Mahershalalhashbaz.

Lord could we just go with Baz maybe?

Wonder why so many don't even want a word of religious advice to come from a Woman, even the JW's only have male "elders". Religion is considered by man.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

Likely because women are the weaker sex so to speak... overly emotional

Which is funny because they're really not... though perhaps in the physical aspect

Most Men are dumb... Myself being one, trust me I know lol

Gnostic texts actually state that Mary (Jesus' wife) was probably supposed to lead the church

I think its probably true too, though the men wouldn't stand for it

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join