It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Record-breaking cold sweeps eastern U.S.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Holy crap! I could NOT live up there! You folks in the NE, it's looking like a cold few weeks ahead of you.

The Mayor is advising every one to prepare for drastic measures.
It is going to be nearing the eighties this week in the midwest!

(CNN)So much for a warm and fuzzy Valentine's Day.

As many as 18 cities across the East could endure record-breaking cold Sunday, forecasters say.

New York City's temperature plummeted to 1 below zero at Central Park -- shattering the record of 2 degrees, set during World War I.

Bridgeport, Connecticut, could suffer an all-time low of 1 below. Philadelphia could tie its record low of 2.

And those are just the real temperatures.

Factor in brutal winds, and every state from northern Pennsylvania to Maine will feel wind chills below minus 15.

L I N K

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Suck it up butter cup
It -45 C here last few day's in northwest Ontario LOL

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader

Yah, what happened to the global warming threads anyway… Oh its wintertime.

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Ha! It's 64 here in Dallas right now and it's going to be 80 by Saturday

Seriously...You guys stay warm up there!! I have much respect for all of you who can handle the cold!
edit on 14-2-2016 by texasgirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trillium
Suck it up butter cup

OMG...Y'all need to take a vacation and come down to Texas!
edit on 14-2-2016 by texasgirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Trillium

Sorry about that, my fellow Canuckian.

I accidentally pushed the cold snap in your direction... It's now a balmy -9 celsius here in Manitoba.

So cheer up, the bikini weather is heading your way in the next couple of days !

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Not a chance. I would absolutely freeze to death..... hats off for living in that cold!

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   
It was cold here in MI this morning, about 0*F. I can't remember what the windchill was, -5? Anyway, I remember the local met mentioning the NE temps & said something about the Blizzard of '99 -- 1899, that is. There were some seriously bitter temps back then.

Cape May, New Jersey, dropped to 0° F, the coldest temperature ever recorded in Cape May county, and received an unprecedented 34 inches of snow, a record for the state. Tallahassee dropped to −2° F, which is the only sub-zero temperature in Florida’s recorded history. Atlanta, Georgia, reached a numbing −9° F, a low it has not exceeded since. Washington, D.C., hit −15° F, an all-time low for the city, and received 51 straight hours of snow. Other areas had even lower temperatures: −33 °F in Sandy Hook, Kentucky; −35° F in Dayton, West Virginia;−39° F in Milligan, Ohio; −47° F in Camp Clark, Nebraska; and a bone-chilling −61° F Fort Logan, Montana!

Even the normally sweltering city of New Orleans recorded a sub-freezing temperature of 22° F during its Mardi Gras festivities that year. The city was completely iced over, and revelers had to wait for the snow to be shoveled from parade routes.

farmersalmanac.com...

Great Blizzard of 1899 Wiki page

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: texasgirl

Suck it up butter cup

OMG...Y'all need to take a vacation and come down to Texas!

Was in Dallas/Fortworght around 1992 for a computer programing WonderWare US DATA for 3 week
should of seen the look I got when I got out off the plane with my - 40 C coat LOL

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 03:55 PM
link   
-32c here -40c with windchill but it's supposed to go up to a balmy -2c with a -9c windchill tomorrow. Think I'll dig out the shorts and beachtowel as I'll be working by the river tomorrow.
edit on 2/14/2016 by Kukri because: typos

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: ReadLeader

Not a chance. I would absolutely freeze to death..... hats off for living in that cold!

No not hats off . That could be suicide. You loose a lot of heat through your head.
Though at those temps no one needs to go outside anyway. Spit freezes before it hits the ground as the saying goes.
As far as weather sayings go my favorite is pavement so hot you can fry an egg. Ill take that over the cold any day.
In the twenties here in the mid Atlantic. Average for winter is low to mid forties.

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Kukri

Sure get started on that tan early. You'll look fabulous by summer.

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 04:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Brrrrrrrrr and no central heat either. Everyone huddled near the fireplace or the stove.
And repeating a theme, they all wore hats to bed. Lol.

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader

Ummm...it was 47 below...(Fahrenheit) here at my place...the water is still frozen...

Coldest spot in the nation this morning...

YouSir
edit on 14-2-2016 by YouSir because: it was a capital idea...

edit on 14-2-2016 by YouSir because: Of an error in the matrix...

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: texasgirl

Ha! It's 64 here in Dallas right now and it's going to be 80 by Saturday Seriously...You guys stay warm up there!! I have much respect for all of you who can handle the cold!

Oh, how nice, thank you Texas girl. Attitudes must be changing as it wasn't long ago when someone took a picture of a Texas registered car and it had a bumper sticker that said "Drive 75 - Freeze a Yankee"......

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 07:42 PM
link   
-3 F here south of Boston

First real cold this winter, though not abnormally cold.

I'd say below -10 F would be considered abnormally cold around here, actual, not with wind chill.

Hell it can easily hit -30 with windchill around the coast here.

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Yikes! If it gets below 60 I'm freezing. Fortunately it's been in the mid 80s all week here in Phoenix.

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Meh. It will be 50* here on Tuesday. Two days of cold is no biggie.

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 07:55 PM
link   
It was 5 below last night. It was in the 20s today. After the sun went down it got COLD.

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Suck it up butter cup

They're havin' a heat wave in Toronto it's 12* F or about -11*C right now.
www.google.com...=weather+ontario+canada

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join