It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PuppyMonkeyBaby - Twisted Mountain Dew Superbowl Commercial

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 02:05 PM
link   
One of the few commercials I actually watched last night - and it's freaky. It is for Mountain Dew "Kickstart", It is a baby's body, with monkey arms and a pug's head. It talks, and says "Puppy monkey baby" repeatedly. The "connection" is that I guess the Kickstart drink is "3 awesome things combine", although I don't know what those 3 things are.

It even jumps up on one of the guys sitting on the couch and licks him (what the hell?)

I guess the outlandish nature and annoying repetition could be an effective marketing tool, but really it just scared the hell out of me. I don't have kids, but if I did I could picture them asking questions about it or being something that could confuse them. Anyway, I hate this commercial but it was freaky enough that I wanted to make a thread on it. Maybe that alone is proof that their marketing worked, I'm talking about it. But I want to see what ATSrs think -

Here's the commercial:

Fox 6 (Milwaukee, Wisconsin) also talked about it:

fox6now.com...
edit on 8-2-2016 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

The advertisers may have missed the mark.

No way am I induced to ever drink the beverage.

As a concept, yuck.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 02:11 PM
link   
It was designed to shock. You don't like it, but here you are repeating it for all to see, talking about it, and you know that Mountain Dew is the advertiser.

You're promoting it. Good job!

(I hate the taste of Mountain Dew myself.)

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

If anything it just makes me think the people running the company are deranged, and/or they might be using monkey parts as some cheap substitution ingredient that they order from China dirt cheap online

All just so they can watch their commercials, watch the money roll in, and laugh at all of us idiots who are drinking their monkeyguts and watching their ads which also aid in the turning of our brains into mush

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 02:14 PM
link   

no offense its just an advert, to grab peoples attention you just have to do something weird and catchy.
that's exactly what this is

It even jumps up on one of the guys sitting on the couch and licks him (what the hell?)

that's the puppy part, puppies lick things, faces, etc. as much as i would not allow a dog to lick mine..it happens.

I don't have kids, but if I did I could picture them asking questions about it or being something that could confuse them

I dont have kids myself either. Kids have wild imaginations anyway, providing you explain to them what it is they will know. Anyway kids are custom to talking bears, dancing rabbits, and clocks etc (sleeping beauty, Winnie the pooh etc) so doubt it would confuse them.

Maybe that alone is proof that their marketing worked,

maybe. . i dont relate it to mountain dew when i think of the advert, more puppy monkey baby. can imagine Roger from family guy saying it.
edit on 8-2-2016 by lSkrewloosel because: misread it, and edited responce

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: lSkrewloosel

It's on TV, and during the superbowl (with a more diverse viewing demographic than most shows/programs)

I don't think this is some conspiracy, but I did want to talk about it on ATS to see what others thought. I watched the superbowl with my older brother, sister, girlfriend, and mom, and most everyone thought it was a terrible commercial

I also paid no attention to the product, just the weird hybrid animal dancing and chanting, so if they wanted me to remember "Mountain Dew Kickstart" they failed in that respect

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

If anything it just makes me think the people running the company are deranged, and/or they might be using monkey parts as some cheap substitution ingredient that they order from China dirt cheap online

All just so they can watch their commercials, watch the money roll in, and laugh at all of us idiots who are drinking their monkeyguts and watching their ads which also aid in the turning of our brains into mush

Yeah, yeah. uh huh. Right. Whatever, but you're still promoting it. You'll never forget Mountain Dew as long as you live. Thanks for posting it for all of us to see if we didn't watch the Super Bowl. You just increased the ad's reach.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 02:23 PM
link   

the more time we spend with our kids the less they watch TV and rubbish.

enjoy

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 02:25 PM
link   
It was alarming to me because I have, for a long time, called my cats and dogs "stinky monkey babies".

They're listening...

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 02:29 PM
link   

I'm active in the ATS community and out of the entire superbowl this was more interesting than the actual event (to me).

bviously I wanted to talk about this ad since I made a thread about it - this ad was in the superbowl, news stations are talking about it, Mountain Dew doesn't need "Famcore" to promote their weird commercial.

"Yea yea uh huh right whatever" sarcasm not really necessary here

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 02:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

"Yea yea uh huh right whatever" sarcasm not really necessary here

Apparently. it is. You are failing to see that by making such a fuss over it, you have validated the ad. You keep going on and on about it. The publicity you are generating for the ad is just as good as people raving about the Clydesdales. You are helping to make the ad famous, spreading its reach, making it more effective.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 02:50 PM
link   

We can agree to disagree then.

I am saying that I HIGHLY doubt this thread or discussion is going to convince someone to go out and buy this drink.

If anything this conversation might have a negligible effect on sales.

I get what you are saying but being condescending isn't necessary because I already understand your point, and because it can be rude. Thanks anyway

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I don't know what the hell that was but it needs to be taken out back and shot, stuffed and then mounted on the wall next to the jackelope.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 02:57 PM
link   

They had me at Pug Puppy.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
It was designed to shock. You don't like it, but here you are repeating it for all to see, talking about it, and you know that Mountain Dew is the advertiser.

You're promoting it. Good job!

(I hate the taste of Mountain Dew myself.)

Ding...Ding...winner! You nailed it. The commercial was stupid and whack but you know what...it's one of the few that I can actually recall from yesterday. I am a fan of Mt. Dew and I really enjoy their KickStarts. I'm excited to try this new flavor as well lol.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Hysterically attention getting! Advertising works! I thought the Skittles-Steven Tyler-Dream on commercial was pretty funny too!

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Almost all of the Super Bowl ads were pretty weird. That Dorito's commercial...

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 03:38 PM
link   
My kids have been saying 'Puppy Monkey Baby' since Saturday. So it's very catchy for the youngins.

They must have seen a pre-release on the Interwebs.

It's working.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
Almost all of the Super Bowl ads were pretty weird. That Dorito's commercial...

Doritos commercials are made by filmmakers like myself in a Crash the Superbowl competition. One million prize money.

crashthesuperbowl.doritos.com...

I have made a Doritos "Crash the Superbowl" competition commercial for the last 5 years....no prize....yet!

Mt. Dew's parent company is Pepsi.....
edit on 8-2-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 04:41 PM
link   

the graphics suck. I think its meant to suck, honestly, as it looks like something dreamt up on Reddit.

To each their own, i guess.

ETA: the more i think about it, this is designed to gain traction in the world of meme's. They were hoping to get their moneys worth through meme's and various image macros.

Side note: i noticed that Bud wasn't a big spender this year like last year (or, if they were...it didn't stick with me, so was a failed ad). The only advertising I saw came from Manning's mouth after the game. I smell a conspiracy.....
edit on 2/8/2016 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join