It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians, what are your thoughts on dinosaurs?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Rasalghul
I certainly haven't claimed it as an inerrant detailed history.
It is theological teaching about the relationship between God and man.

I have told you that I don't have a problem with the science of dinosaurs.
Why should it be a problem for you that I don't have a problem with it?
We both accept that dinosaurs probably existed, so that's a state of agreement, right? Don't you find it pleasing that we end up in agreement?

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Moses wasn't a chistian,he may not have been jewish. Not sure why people refer to Jewish books to support Christian thought, when one just plagiarized the other and Jews certainly don't think anything evolutionary about Christian dogma to their own.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

Because the bible is the OT and NT. I. gotta ask, why would anyone think moses was a christian when he lived thousands of years before Christ?

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Ea reply to: DISRAELIw

I don't have a problem with your beliefs. I just find it contradictory. All you have to do is add the book of Enoch and the question is answered. Everyone loves it anyway. You should just add it. Many Jews believe(d) it was a divine revelation.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Bible OTest. does not contain all earth history...little is included.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 05:16 PM
link   
The books I'm already using work fine for me, so I shall just leave it at that.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Kinda what I was saying no? That's the problem with the Internet

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 05:19 PM
link   

I believe in God, I believe in the message of Christ Jesus but to take every word of a clearly corrupted dogma as irrefutable evidence of truth .... thats a fools errand.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 05:20 PM
link   

I think Abraham was probably a follower of Zorastrianism, so more than likely , Moses was too. Christians don't even count until 2k years ago, and frankly they still grasp at straws imo.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 05:28 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

OK I was just trying to help. Enoch makes it all make sense, but who needs that I guess. It just reminds me of children believing in Santa Claus because there parents told them so. Religion is the adult version of Santa Claus, your parents were lying, and you let it go. But why WOULDN'T the bible be lying too. People lie to make money, it's life. Look at the state of christianity, televangelists, prosperity gospel, people going to church just to avoid hell. Inability to accept history and archeological discoveries that prove the Canaanite polytheism Israel was a small part of, moses, Solomon all myths.
· And gods book forgets to mention the dinosaurs because it was a greater Mesopotamian story and not a revelation to moses. It's getting sad.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rasalghul
a reply to: ketsuko

Sketchy is acceptable to you for a book supposed to be about god? I think that would be kind of lying by omission on gods part telling everyone his creation happened one way but leaving out the part about the dinosaurs? Not very honest of god, that is pretty sketchy.

Why? He didn't specifically mention about how he created great white sharks, giant squid, megaloceros, woolly mammoth, C. furcifer, moa, and bunch of other things.

The Bible isn't God's book of natural history. It is His book of interactions with man, specifically His interactions the lineage of Adam through Moses and later David to Jesus and finally all of mankind. His creation is merely the setting for that and needs only be addressed as such.
edit on 7-2-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 06:13 PM
link   

There are at least two dinosaurs described in the Old Testament
The Leviathan and the Behemoth

If you were to study dragons as they were called
Modern dinosaurs still exist today, lake monsters are very common, mokolomembe, and plenty of other sightings if you were really interested, dating back thousands of years

Research if you are interested

Nothing I say will make you accept my opinion

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 06:21 PM
link   

There is a thing called the "Gap Theory" which is that there is a gap in time between the original creation of the universe and then its recreation after some sort of catastrophe.

An extremely literal translation of the initial wording of Genesis fits with this idea:

In the beginning, when Elohim began/was shaping the heavens and the whole earth, the whole earth came to be formless/confused and emptiness. And obscurity/darkness/'indistinct vision'' was on the surface of the deep places. The breath/spirit of Elohim relaxed/hovered on top of the waters. And Elohim spoke "let light come to pass" and there was light. Genesis 1: 1-3.

In Genesis 1:1 God started the creation, the assumption is that God made it perfect and complete. In Genesis 1:2, it was somehow messed up.

Many have suggested that, perhaps, when Satan fell, it also damaged the Proto-Universe, requiring God's further intervention. This would place Satan's fall some time just before the seven day creation that is accounted in the rest of Genesis.

As to the Biblical recording of dinosaurs, we do know of four giant creatures being mentioned; The Behemoth, the Leviathan, the Auroch (mistranslated as 'unicorn' in the KJV) and the Dragon/Serpent (In the scriptures, only the Dragon is supernatural, the others are just described as large powerful animals). Similar creatures abound in other Canaanite myth and legend where they are attributed with godlike status.

If we consider the status of the fallen angels, they were cast out of their spiritual realm into a material world, where they could not effect anything. Some chose to copulate with humans and produce the Nephilim/Anakim. Others chose to 'possess' animals and humans to gain physical control (and some still do). To me, a disembodied spirit looking for 'power' in the physical realm would be highly attracted to such powerful animals as dinosaurs. Perhaps the epithet of Serpent or Dragon for Satan is not metaphoric?

edit on 7/2/2016 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 06:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket
a reply to: chr0naut

Mega fauna and Dinosaurs are not the same thing, at least not that I'm aware of. Mega fauna died off during the younger dryas, 12800 years ago, Dinosaurs died off 65 million years ago. The only correlation being a large astronomical event ending them both.

I would argue that smaller dinosaur descendants exist to this day (in Avains, not Reptiles).

Mega Fauna to me are all those that have excessively large body mass and would find great difficulty surviving in our current environment. This would include dinosaurs.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 06:45 PM
link   
This website (if you are a God fearing Person), lays out a pretty good timeline, it takes some reading / studying, but I do believe that dinasours are 100% legit. As I do believe Jesus walked the earth.....

Because of this wickedness, God warned a godly man named Noah that He was going to destroy the world with a Flood (Genesis 6:13). God therefore commanded him to build a great ship (the Ark) so that all the kinds of land animals (which must have included dinosaurs) and Noah’s family could survive on board while the Flood destroyed the entire Earth (Genesis 6:14–20).

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 06:49 PM
link   

My thoughts on dinosaurs are that they are very cool, but if they lived today as they did in the past, we wouldn't have internet we would be busy hiding from dinosaurs, so I am glad they went extinct. I don't think I could fully appreciate caveman life.

Yes I am a Christian, I see no contradiction and no need to find dinosaurs in the bible. The bible gave a rough idea, it was not intended to spell out every molecule so not everything got mentioned. No biggy, it mentioned the important stuff we needed to know.
edit on 7-2-2016 by Kitana because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Christian here, dinosaurs are pretty cool.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 10:03 PM
link   

ever hear of the behemoth in Job the oldest verbal book of the bible

Job 40:15 ¶ Behold now behemoth, which I made with thee; he eateth grass as an ox.
16 Lo now, his strength is in his loins, and his force is in the navel of his belly.
17 He moveth his tail like a cedar: the sinews of his stones are wrapped together.
18 His bones are as strong pieces of brass; his bones are like bars of iron.
19 He is the chief of the ways of God: he that made him can make his sword to approach unto him.
20 Surely the mountains bring him forth food, where all the beasts of the field play.
21 He lieth under the shady trees, in the covert of the reed, and fens.
22 The shady trees cover him with their shadow; the willows of the brook compass him about.
23 Behold, he drinketh up a river, and hasteth not: he trusteth that he can draw up Jordan into his mouth.
24 He taketh it with his eyes: his nose pierceth through snares.

sure sound like a dinosaur to me.

or maybe the Leviathan

Job 41:1 ¶ Canst thou draw out leviathan with an hook? or his tongue with a cord which thou lettest down?
2 Canst thou put an hook into his nose? or bore his jaw through with a thorn?
3 Will he make many supplications unto thee? will he speak soft words unto thee?
4 Will he make a covenant with thee? wilt thou take him for a servant for ever?
5 Wilt thou play with him as with a bird? or wilt thou bind him for thy maidens?
6 Shall the companions make a banquet of him? shall they part him among the merchants?
7 Canst thou fill his skin with barbed irons? or his head with fish spears?
8 Lay thine hand upon him, remember the battle, do no more.
9 Behold, the hope of him is in vain: shall not one be cast down even at the sight of him?
10 None is so fierce that dare stir him up: who then is able to stand before me?
11 ¶ Who hath prevented me, that I should repay him? whatsoever is under the whole heaven is mine.
12 I will not conceal his parts, nor his power, nor his comely proportion.
13 Who can discover the face of his garment? or who can come to him with his double bridle?
14 Who can open the doors of his face? his teeth are terrible round about.
15 His scales are his pride, shut up together as with a close seal.
16 One is so near to another, that no air can come between them.
17 They are joined one to another, they stick together, that they cannot be sundered.
18 By his neesings a light doth shine, and his eyes are like the eyelids of the morning.
19 Out of his mouth go burning lamps, and sparks of fire leap out.
20 Out of his nostrils goeth smoke, as out of a seething pot or caldron.
21 His breath kindleth coals, and a flame goeth out of his mouth.
22 In his neck remaineth strength, and sorrow is turned into joy before him.
23 The flakes of his flesh are joined together: they are firm in themselves; they cannot be moved.
24 His heart is as firm as a stone; yea, as hard as a piece of the nether millstone.
25 When he raiseth up himself, the mighty are afraid: by reason of breakings they purify themselves.
26 The sword of him that layeth at him cannot hold: the spear, the dart, nor the habergeon.
27 He esteemeth iron as straw, and brass as rotten wood.
28 The arrow cannot make him flee: slingstones are turned with him into stubble.
29 Darts are counted as stubble: he laugheth at the shaking of a spear.
30 Sharp stones are under him: he spreadeth sharp pointed things upon the mire.
31 He maketh the deep to boil like a pot: he maketh the sea like a pot of ointment.
32 He maketh a path to shine after him; one would think the deep to be hoary.
33 Upon earth there is not his like, who is made without fear.
34 He beholdeth all high things: he is a king over all the children of pride.

seems Dinosaurs may have roamed the earth and men saw them and feared them.

edit on 7-2-2016 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 11:12 PM
link   
I don't even know any Christians who don't believe that dinosaurs didn't exist. They were a long time before modern man came to be though. The beginning of the bible just tries to explain how things started and kind of explains a blood line of modern man. Adam sounds a lot like Atum from other religions.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 11:37 PM
link   

They are ancient and dead..
I am a Christian
My question is what will Christians think of ressurection of mammoths by cloning
Again I really am a Christian but it's time to step away and take the essence of bible in not literal interpretation
There is a lot to learn from bible (I love New Testament and read it over and over when I am on a downer it's hopeful)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join