It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama to propose $10-a-barrel oil tax

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 12:33 AM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

Or we could move all the subsidies the oil companies get from the feds and apply it to infrastructure instead.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 12:54 AM
link   
The price of petrol is barely affected by the price of crude oil. It's all artificially controlled.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 01:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: Wardaddy454
Good. I'm sure that money will go exactly where he says it will. /s

Oh, you mean like that Stimulus bill they passed early in his first term that was supposed to fix all that infrastructure and go to shovel ready jobs?

Exactly. I think it was around 90% of that "stimulus" went to a variety of welfare. Could have had the country rebuild prosperity and have jobs but no....effin liar.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 02:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: greencmp

When American industry is down, that's when you kick it hard. Especially when it makes consumers hurt too.

God forbid he would allow low energy prices to encourage manufacturing.

Progressive strategy 101.

Perhaps a bit of Marxist there ?

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 04:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: MALBOSIA

If passing the tax onto me is too expensive then I wont pay so your just going to have to settle for your fitty cent or get nothing at all. Go find another market to do business in. Ill buy a Tesla.

Its really that simple

And I suppose that your worldly-wise advice to the starving poor in famine-struck countries is qu'ils mangent de la brioche...

The people who can afford to go out and buy a Tesla aren't the people who get affected the most by these things.

I'd be more worried about the people who are scraping and saving to keep their beater truck on the road so they can get to work on time every day and keep their job.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

We could just eliminate all that BS from the tax code and charge every company the same flat rate.

But they won't because then they can't pick their preferred winners and losers in industry by offering tax breaks and leveeing penalties like this proposed one.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Seems the Obama apologists are out in full force on this thread. This sounds like a liberals wet dream.

Lets be serious here though. If he starts taxing "Big Oil" you know the consumer will end up with the burden. Is it really wise to continue taxing and regulating an industry while its in a down market? Then when oil rises again, do you really think "Big Oil" will pay their own tax? No. you and I will take on the burden, while all that tax money collected doesn't even get invested back into the country.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 09:56 AM
link   
How about a sales tax on stock trades?

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 10:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: greencmp

When American industry is down, that's when you kick it hard. Especially when it makes consumers hurt too.

God forbid he would allow low energy prices to encourage manufacturing.

Progressive strategy 101.

Economic Engineering.. they're good at finding ways to keep our heads shoved in the mud

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I think the monies collected from this proposed $10 barrel tax will be earmarked for the increasing resettlement programs ...exclusively

that would be the extent of the 'rebuilding infrastructure' programs being alluded to..

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

True..

The speaker of the house said the tax idea is dead on arrival so this is a moot point now.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra
a reply to: ketsuko

True..

The speaker of the house said the tax idea is dead on arrival so this is a moot point now.

That doesn't mean they won't attempt to slip it in with some other bill by way of a concession or backroom deal. The GOP doesn't have a very good record of standing up to Obama's nonsense.

edit on 2/5/2016 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

I thought maybe the Republicans expected a deal.
Now it sounds like it will be the Republicans that sponsor a protectionist tariff on just imported oil?
That way the big US oil companies could compete with the countries that have lower production costs.
The US would still have to shut some of their marginal production sources, but it might save the industry.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Of course I'd argue the average ATS Obama hater is worlds smarter and more astute that Kanye West,

Good luck trying to make that argument.

This thread alone is testament to how uninformed or misinformed many "Obama haters" seem to be.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: MALBOSIA

Taxes hurt poor people. They raise the cost of living. A poor person cannot dodge these sales taxes that inflate costs.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: EternalSolace

WASHINGTON — President Obama will propose a $10-a-barrel oil tax to fund an ambitious new transportation spending plan, White House officials said Thursday. But no sooner had the White House proposed the plan than Republicans in Congress shot it down.

The new oil tax would be phased in over five years, and would apply to both domestic and imported oil. It's different from a gas tax in that it will be paid for by the oil companies, not directly by consumers, and would also apply to jet and train fuel

Obama to propose $10-a-barrel oil tax

Apparently low oil prices aren't sitting well with Obama. He want's to increase taxes on oil by $10 per barrel. One has to wonder what failed green companies he wants to waste tax money on now. Obama claims it's a per barrel fee that the oil companies will pay. But as everyone knows, taxes are always passed on to the consumer. So not only will gas prices rise at the pump, plane tickets and train freight will rise as well.

The republicans in congress already shot it down, but there's no telling how far Obama will be willing to go to see this through.

The worst of State Capitalism and State sponsored THEFT at it's finest.

Price of a Commodity goes down from MARKET response (the real test), the State imposes it's plans to take advantage of the gap so that it can fund itself, grow larger, and work with OTHER Private companies, through contracts WITH the State...so that everyone in every industry gets their piece of the taxpayer pie.

This is Government and this is the Leftist Utopia in practice over and over and over and over.

Textbook

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Obama proposing a $10 a barrel tax on oil has about as much chance of passing congress as me proposing a law requiring all his records be opened!!!

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 02:44 PM
link   
This is the Left lefting....and scumbag practices by a scumbag leader with a scumbag STATE behind him.

California where I live has the highest gas prices in the nation. Tax tax tax tax tax yearly more and more, and when we get relief, tax them again.

Just keep taxing us and growing that debt over TWENTY TRILLION....who's counting anymore?

"Working Class"? "Middle Class"?

Yeah EFF THEM...

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: BatheInTheFountain

Agree on your summation 110%

With $2 dollar difference in retail gasoline you'd Obama would redirect that windfall government savings temporarily while fuel costs are down - but no, he goes full cronyism again.

What a bum, can't wait till were rid of him.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 02:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phoenix
a reply to: BatheInTheFountain

Agree on your summation 110%

With $2 dollar difference in retail gasoline you'd Obama would redirect that windfall government savings temporarily while fuel costs are down - but no, he goes full cronyism again.

What a bum, can't wait till were rid of him.

The STATE and it's Gangsters are always planning ways to SCUMBAG us to death, along with their Private Industry thugs in the backroom.

And Bernie Sanders it the next 'answer" I hear. Sure.....okay.

edit on 5-2-2016 by BatheInTheFountain because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join