It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should anything be ‘beyond a joke’? The new comedy code of intolerant conformism.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 03:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK
a reply to: woodwardjnr

Yeah, I know what you mean.

I also have a guilty love of Chubby Brown. He's not cutting edge, not politically astute, just coarse and vulgar, but he does make me laugh. (That's another one the mrs wont come with me to watch)

Cunning stunts!!! One of my housemates at uni, a Geordie of course, had all his videos. Not really my cup of tea but he definately has his moments.

Frankie Boyle is most definately my cup of tea, however.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 03:20 AM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK I don't think I could take dr who seriously now, knowing deep down its Malcolm Tucker. There are some epic rants of his on YouTube that take swearing to a new level

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 03:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Morrad
This is the title of an article on Spike Online by Mick Hume, Editor (loving this magazine, it is so thought provoking)

Comedy is suffering under a stifling atmosphere of conformism and intolerance. It appears that any joke judged to have crossed a line must be not just ignored, but condemned, censured and, if possible, censored. That, in turn, has given rise to a pathetic backlash of comedians and provocateurs trying to be offensive for the sake of it. The rest of us risk being left with the worst of both unfunny worlds.

Good jokes are generally in bad taste. They tend to mock the respectable rules and morals of society. By its nature comedy is always controversial, pushing as it must at the limits of what passes for taste and decency in any era. It is hard to think of a good joke that would not offend somebody. That is why there have long been attempts to control what is deemed ‘acceptable’ humour and to censor what is not. And why many writers and comedians have tried to subvert the rules.

However, as with other issues in the free-speech wars, the terrain has shifted. Once the complaints were about blasphemous and indecent comedy, and the censors were conservative politicians, policemen and priests. Now the protests are more often against comedians accused of breaking the new taboos – racism, sexism, ableism, homophobia, transphobia, Islamophobia, anti-Semitism and the other usual suspects. And the demands to shut them down tend to be led not by old-fashioned prudes but by radical online activists, the liberal media and even other comedians. Backed up in the UK by broadcast regulators, politicians and the newly PC police.

So what do you guys think? Is there a limit to acceptable humour? Should comedians and comedy artists be policed or allowed free artistic expression? Is it artistic expression?

I have mixed feelings on this. There is evidence that humour is a positive coping mechanism. Today we are continually bombarded with traumatic events in glorifying detail. I have personally seen 'emotional blunting' in family and friends, compounded by a dry, tongue-in-cheek sense of humour from several of them (maybe this is a British thing?).

One of the comments below the article caught my eye.

'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase.

Link

Censorship in all its form is designed to suppress freedom of speech, nothing else. You cannot legislate for how people are to think, nor can you stop them from thinking their thoughts.

Passing laws to try n prevent xyz..ism is about the least effective means of achieving that goal. Education about the hurt, pain, the suffering and offense caused is the best way to prevent people from expressing negative xyz isms.

Over the years I've read that education for this, that and everything else. Its only in recent years that education as a method for dealing with social issues has been dropped and legislation is now the preferred method.

Can you people not see this?

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 03:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Anaana

Haha, I do love Frankie. He's good value on twitter too.

Woodwardjnr I'll need to look them up

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 03:59 AM
link   
"Liberals" are the new uptight prudes.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 07:49 AM
link   
It's all about INTENT people.
None of these comedians are being malicious on purpose. In some ways, comedy is meant to make people feel uncomfortable.
Comedians should be able to say whatever they want to, for the sake of comedy.
Thats what makes people laugh, in a way. That nervousness of not knowing if its ok.
That being said, my favorites right now are
Bill Burr
Joe Rogan
Anthony Jeselnik
Louie CK
Here is another great,
Patrice O'Neil Defending Jokes

edit on 2-2-2016 by o0oTOPCATo0o because: Edit because embedded video wasnt working

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Sorry for the late reply. Something cropped up and have been busy the last few days. Some interesting comments.

I thought a lot about my OP since typing it and have come to the conclusion that offence is purely subjective and as such, cannot be censored or policed. That doesn't mean it is free from consequences, as Reldra quite rightly pointed out.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 06:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Morrad
So what do you guys think? Is there a limit to acceptable humour? Should comedians and comedy artists be policed or allowed free artistic expression? Is it artistic expression?

No limits, no boundaries.

The moment you draw a line, the busiest of busybodies will decide they are the only ones who can be trusted to know where that line should be drawn.

Can you imagine how utterly, intensely, desperately boring life would be if the bleeding hearts brigade could decide what we are allowed to consider funny?

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Morrad

To be blunt, these anti or pro ism'ist's are a bunch of pussies who can't acknowledge their own # stinks. No one. NO ONE is any better or worse than anyone else. its all perspective and you know, I think everyone's perspective is their own illusion of life. I think all these enflamed egos need to chill out, take a step back and realize the more you build a wall up to defend yourselves against words, the harder it will fall when you're met with someone who doesn't see the same illusion you do and become sensitively defensive over your own illusion that you are perhaps somehow protected from the natural ebb and flow of life. I think anyone who adheres to the politically correct sentiment should find the best method to remove their tongues because I and many others dont want to hear it. Hypersensitive children!!!

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: EvillerBob

Can you imagine how utterly, intensely, desperately boring life would be if the bleeding hearts brigade could decide what we are allowed to consider funny?

The result would be safe spaces at comedy venues.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join