It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A New Study Questions The Link Between Teen Pot Smoking And IQ Decline

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a reply to: vjr1113

Lol fair enough. I had a feeling you got confused there.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

I'm sorry you feel that way, but the point of the study was to say that that effect isn't permanent.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 08:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I''m sorry you're sorry. I understood the point, but thanks. I was just adding my thoughts. Should have known better.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 08:17 AM
link   

You don't have to get offended... I didn't mean anything by that...

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 08:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

You don't have to get offended... I didn't mean anything by that...

I don't do well with condescension. One of my shortcomings. Adios.
/out

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 08:23 AM
link   

While the effect can be noticeable (usually in users with less tolerance) I seriously do question the connection to IQ loss, here's the thing I am not naming names but someone very close to me, who is highly respected in his industry and a buisness owner and in a technical field uses pot everyday three times a day. He is never noticed and never incapable of performing highly involved and logical tasks, I will say that over the years some memory issues have seemed to surface but that could be aging or a mixture of reasons. Regardless, decriminalize it all, that's my position I do not have to have a study to tell me that.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 08:24 AM
link   

I wasn't trying to be condescending either, but ok. I see you are in a bad mood. Carry on.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 08:40 AM
link   

I do not think you were being condescending even in the slightest, if anything you respected her opinion and encouraged more debate.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Yea, when it comes to marijuana, I don't accept ANY negative long standing accepted consensus on the plant.

And yet you tout any positive results as valid. Any study that comes out supporting it's use is right and any negative results are just lies and propaganda?
That's not good science.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I'm sure smoking before class would lower anyone's IQ,
. I wouldn't think it's related to losing brain cells as much as it is to spending more time with recreational smoking than time studying. I'm sure alcohol would have the same effect.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 09:02 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Being stoned all the time isn't good for you.

damn it.

Are you sure about that ?

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

I'm actually willing to listen to any evidence presented and what you are saying there isn't what I meant.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Yeah more and more studies have shown even the opposite. Like cannabonoids prevent plaque build up in the brain or even ineutero (when mom uses) associated to faster eye tracking development.

The real brain cell killer is adderoll. It should be illegal to give to children. It causes irrereversable brain damage. Yet its completely legal. The best and most long term studies have shown not only are add drugs innefective and addictive they are damaging to development. Like this 30 year study.

mobile.nytimes.com...

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 09:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64

Yea, when it comes to marijuana, I don't accept ANY negative long standing accepted consensus on the plant.

And yet you tout any positive results as valid. Any study that comes out supporting it's use is right and any negative results are just lies and propaganda?
That's not good science.

It's more that the studies in the past were complete fabrications. Like hooking up monkeys to 24 hour smoke machines without oxygen and then saying pit kills brain cells.

Pot is a drug. There are side effects to any drug. You would be very hard pressed to find a drug with less physical side effects than marijuana. Intoxication is a different story but as far as brain and organ damage and the likelihood of an OD its on the bottom of the list.

Now that some studies are being done without the intent of proving its danger a lot of so called studies are being debunked. Almost all of the past negative studies have been debunked. That doesn't mean we won't find negative effects and haven't but when taken in context there are more dangerous food preservatives people eat everyday than marijuana. There are pharmaceuticals we give children proven to be far more dangerous than marijuana.

It's hard to take the medical field seriously when they are so contradictory.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: luthier

Thanks for expanding on what I said. Glad you understood what I meant by that. You summed up very nicely what I meant too.

edit on 19-1-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 09:29 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Well, I was one of the biggest potheads I knew in high school, but I quit smoking it in 1998 when I joined the military.

I always test in the 140s, so I think I'm okay. I'm not bragging, as that's not genius level or anything, but it is decently high, so I'm using that as a point to confirm with my anecdotal evidence.

Now, the effects on my memory as an adult might be a different story.

Wait, what are we talking about?

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: luthier

Thanks for expanding on what I said. Glad you understood what I meant by that. You summed up very nicely what I meant too.

Thank you for always being thoughtful. Even when we don't agree.

These are important topics because people may understand a bigger, broader subject through doing so which is the importance of critical thinking even when consulting an expert in the field. The medical field is in shambles in the US because of the lies and greed for profit. It's no wonder people look for alternative treatments even when they are a hoax.

If drs are willing to give adderal to even preteens how can we take their word for much of anything on the dangers of drugs?

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 09:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Is there a link between marijuana use and mental illness?

Marijuana and Mental Illness
FACT SHEET

No comment because I don't really understand.

Nope. There is a link between self medicating and " mental illness". There is also a link between lithium and manic depression. Dr's prescribe it.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

You should have left a comment, because even you links say that the jury is still out on if marijuana use CAUSES these thinks, exacerbates existing conditions, or is really just a result of the mentally ill seeking out self-medication.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join