It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What the hell happened to country music?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 04:21 PM
link   
What the hell happened to country music?
loll the same as german "slaghers".... Dutch "smartlappen" ect....
the big buizznis of the music industry's are now based on pre-programmed """HIT'S""""
wich are generaly based on old songs in an other setting and pimped up...
so for the tru songs like country is no place anymoore couse the big money wo'nt support it..

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Right around 9/11 country music really started to nose dive.

Hmmm... do I smell a conspiracy...

edit on 18-1-2016 by charolais because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: raedar

Great point.

When a Psychobilly guy writes better country/Americana music than actual country musicians...

edit on 18-1-2016 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 08:58 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

You say all of this as if it's limited only to country music. You should remember that it is a mainstream format, and as with most modern mainstream formats - it is watered down garbage that lacks creativity. There are certainly exceptions, but those exceptions are far and few in between. It's not just country, it's in just about every genre of music out there save for maybe jazz music. It's sad but true. The fascinating thing about it is that youth generally seems to argue with that point - "you just don't get it." Well, you're right, I don't understand garbage. I guess I don't know crap about crap.

Gone are the days of Led Zeppelin, (and now) the Eagles, Creedence Clearwater Revival, and James Taylor.
Gone are the days of Hank Williams, George Strait, and Jerry Lewis.
Gone are the days of The Sandpipers, The Carpenters, and Santana.

It's an unfortunate reality, but perhaps it reflects the reality of our society today too...

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Has anybody mentioned Jr. Brown....

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 12:52 AM
link   
I really like these neocountry guys...some of these country rockers write some good stuff. like this ....

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

edit on 19-1-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Ok, so opinion seems to trend toward agreement with the premise, although some folks have found pockets of resistance against the nonsense, bands and artists still producing real music, for its own sake rather than to appeal to the sort of moron who thinks an alley way is an appropriate place for a first date to end, often in mindless rutting and a disappointing conclusion.

To those of you fortunate enough to have been exposed to PROPER music, I applaud your good taste, and indeed, your good fortune.

I think the reason that I am so appalled by the awful, cheese ridden, mindless waffle that I have been hearing lately, is the otherwise good taste of the people who keep putting this crap on the stereo at my buddies place. Metalheads like myself and my clan are relatively rare in my county. We number in the few hundred, out of tens of thousands in my neck of the woods. When hanging with other metalheads, I never expect any of us to be listening to the thing which has the widest appeal in its genre. I always expect my brethren to be riding the raggedy edge. For example, one of my favourite bands of the last ten years, has to be a black metal/jazz fusion outfit called The Shining. Saxophone in a black metal tune? I am all over that like flies on carrion.

The idea that my fellow followers of the path of steel, have developed a taste for the sort of mindless prattle one can expect from modern country, is perhaps the thing that I do not understand. These are people who express in every other way, an appreciation for good music, good beats, melody, and harmony. These people are the last I would expect to put up with what's going on at the moment. They have failed in every particular to see the corporate trap which has sprung about their ankles.

I must make every effort to alert them to their folly, and this thread will help me make them aware of the better things that are out there. Thank you everyone, for your input, and especially to those who provided examples of how the hell this stuff ought to be done!

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 01:40 AM
link   
You just reminded me of the time when I got a Johnny Cash cd because of his cover of Hurt by Nine Inch Nails on it. My buddy was giving me crap about liking country and I told him that some of his favorite bands probably like it too. Well, he'd gotten a Cannibal Corpse dvd and we were watching it. They start going through their music collections and what do you know, there's Waylon Jennings, Merle Haggard, Hank Williams, and a lot of others. One of them even got an acoustic guitar out and starts playing My Buckets got a Hole in it by Hank Williams. I just looked at him and laughed. Man, was he pissed lol.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 07:22 PM
link   

What about this one?

Or just about anything from Vince Gill?

One more!

edit on 22-1-2016 by TNMockingbird because: more specific

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 07:36 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I like it!

"Well, you can write me up as just white trash
‘Cause honey I know it don’t take all that much to see that"

I thought I recognized the sound and then I found this:

edit on 22-1-2016 by TNMockingbird because: add video

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 07:58 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 07:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: greydaze

Perhaps that's it then.

It's not country music itself, just the noise drowning the signal.

There is the mashed nail, Brit. I began listening less all the
time to 'Country' right after watching a clip of 'Low Places'---
with Garth up front strapped to a Strat and two Marshall stacks.
(I however refuse to frisbee my George Jones vinyl and th' like.)

Then I showered with a live version of briefly reunited Mark II
doin' 'Perfect Strangers' (the tune Ritchie touted as "..the best
single thing they ever did".
There the justification is made that the noise IS the signal.

Arrr D5. I weep every time, it's positively shameful... and country.
Just the right one

Red White and Blue beer + Glenlivet = highland hillbilly hangover,
truly to sing the body electric gastric disastric.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 08:11 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Awesome!

Off to watch the entire North Carolina concert...

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 09:43 PM
link   

to answer your question, luke bryan happened. -shudders-

but on a lighter note (no pun intended) some of the modern bluegrass bands have picked up the slack

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 02:46 AM
link   
a reply to: tinyDAWK

LUKE BRYAN PISSES ME OFF.

Is it country, is it REALLY though? I am told it is. That is the section within which music emporia shelve his wares. And yet look at it. Baseball cap, not a Stetson. Cannot dress himself worth a crap, probably never seen a damned horse in his entire life, has never written a song that did not include an oblique reference to sophomoric attempts to be more drunk than he was last week, and yet drives a pick up truck everywhere he goes? He is the country equivalent of Britney bloody Spears. Its bad enough that there is a Britney Spears version of Britney Spears. Did there have to be a new version?

And furthermore, why is it that many modern "artistes" show no evidence of ever having done a days solid work, other than in the gym? What happened to living a real life, with some value to it of its own, and then writing about that? Nope, let's just get drunk, and write about being drunk....

Bloody marvelous. *smashes Luke Bryan CDs with a hammer*

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Modern country is wanna basically pop music! I don't mind it to be honest, better than the crap in the actual pop category lol

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 07:06 AM
link   
a reply to: mblahnikluver

Yes, I guess so... In the same way that anthrax is preferable to bubonic plague.

I re-wrote Its Time To Take My Drunk Ass Home, to adequately reflect my ire toward Luke Bryan and his sort, but it has some instances of foul language, and thusly cannot be posted here.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Don't lie TrueBrit, you like it. That long hair don't cover that red neck boy!

I don't think this is exclusive to country, it seems rather pervasive in any genre that is (very) popular.

So people who listen to trashy pop country seem to identify with it, so they eat it up, so it keeps getting turned out, and it's become obvious that low effort doesn't mean fewer sales. I think a very good comparison is rap. Pop music has always pretty much sucked. Rap used to have meaning, now we have Nikki Minaj talking about how fat her ass is. Now that's not to say there isn't still god rap/hip hop out there, but you're not going to find it on the radio, same with country.

I'm in the 90's country camp personally, love it, listen to it more than anything else. I grew up with horses and around barns, and that's what we listened to. Now it's part nostalgia and part I just like it. So some of these newer country pop songs still get me, because they bring back memories.

Every older generation craps on the newer generation, especially over music. Sometimes it's warranted, but not always. Someone upthread said something about people claiming Garth Brooks ruined country. Freaking love Garth Brooks.

I don't know man, why do you care if you don't like country in the first place? I have a reason to be irritated about country changing, but you listen to metal. I think metal is incredibly dorky and awful, but if you like it, you like it. I also will say that I do appreciate how technical it can be, even if I think it sounds really bad and predictable. Share some good metal with us, I haven't delved in much.

At the end of the day, let people like what they like. We don't have to listen to it.

This is Miley Cyrus, who has been much derided. A lot of these people country singers are capable, it's just not what the idiots want.

edit on 2420160120161 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 01:39 AM
link   

In the same way that anthrax is preferable to bubonic plague.

This might be way off topic but can you imagine Anthrax doing a country song? I don't know why that popped into my head but I think it would be weird.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join