It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PC Do Gooders Strike Again

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Bludgeon To Death An ‘Aborigine’: The Virtual Apple iPhone Game The Whole Family Can Play

What a load of rubbish this is, a survival game set in Australia has been removed from online stores because it allows you to kill Aborigines. If you believe the media's headline for this, you may be upset, but all isn't what it seems. It's an open world type of survival game, you can choose to attack whatever, or whoever you want, including kangaroos, other players and yes, aborigines, or not kill them, and actually work with them! (Working with kangaroos doesn't work so well)

I guess we should ban all games that feature killing a race or type of person, goodbye COD, Battlefield and GTA, to name a few.

newmatilda.com...

edit on 16/1/16 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 04:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Chadwickus

Right now im playing a game that lets me lead a band of vikings round Britain looting, killing and sacking churchs.

As a English Christian should I be offended? Cause im haveing too much fun

edit on 16-1-2016 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

+6 more 
posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 04:59 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

+8 more 
posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 04:59 AM
link   
wow what happened to the old method of not buying something you didn't like ?

These idiots who petitioned for its removal are no better than Nazi's with their behaviour

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Yep , better ban Farcry 4 then as I murdered half the population of the Himalayas.
I think their mistake was to base the game in a real world location and use Aboriginals instead of natives , the game looks much like another game called The Forest which didn't cause a fuss because you kill (or are killed) by natives on an unnamed island.

I agree with you though Chad it's absolute PC nonsense , some people aren't happy unless they have something to get upset about.

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 05:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Discotech
wow what happened to the old method of not buying something you didn't like ?

These idiots who petitioned for its removal are no better than Nazi's with their behaviour

You should probably read a bit more about Nazis.

Ewok,which game is that?

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 05:12 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Start a petition buddy.

#monasticlivesmatter

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 05:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Nexttimemaybe

Oh should I ? So this behaviour of censoring/removing things you disagree with for a "greater good" is not at all similar to the Nazi censorship and book burning behaviour ?

Perhaps you should read more about the Nazi's that goes far beyond their final solution genocide on the Jewish people and maybe put some thought into your posts instead of arbitrarily throwing around patronising 1 liners to provide yourself with some perceived higher than thou self worth which adds nothing to the discussion

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 05:30 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

There seems to be a PC movement over here at the moment.

Everything is offensive now, it was dolls last month:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 05:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Discotech
a reply to: Nexttimemaybe

Oh should I ? So this behaviour of censoring/removing things you disagree with for a "greater good" is not at all similar to the Nazi censorship and book burning behaviour ?

Perhaps you should read more about the Nazi's that goes far beyond their final solution genocide on the Jewish people and maybe put some thought into your posts instead of arbitrarily throwing around patronising 1 liners to provide yourself with some perceived higher than thou self worth which adds nothing to the discussion

If you can't see the difference between the removal of one game and the actions of the Nazi then there is nothing much to say.

Oh and stop being so angry. Maybe anger is the reason behind the reactionary idiocy that was your comparison.

Frankly, if aborigines are offended and want it removed so be it. Everyone else should mind their own business.

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 05:51 AM
link   
The main problem I have with this type of video game is not really that it exists. Rather, that I know there will be people exposed to it who have a lot of fuzzy boundaries in their heads between reality and fantasy.

While my libertarian nature wants maximum freedom, my rational mind wants that tempered with sanity. I don't really know how well freedom is served when a 7 year old with a crack (Or whatever) addicted single mother is playing games like this with absolutely no guidance. We have to live in the same world this kids will inhabit when they grow up.

I can't help but think about how a lot of the BS that goes on in today's world is caused by people who had very little guidance as children. I'm in my 40s so I was just the right age when the Atari system was at it's most popular and Nintendo was really starting to take off. My generation was really the first to be seriously touched by video games.

At first, I think it wasn't a really big deal because the graphics and effects weren't all that realistic. Although you were "shooting" things it was not even cartoon realistic violence. It was just a stick figure flinging dots at other stick figures. I admit it gave me some pause even at the time when I thought about what it might become when the technology advanced but it was an uncomfortable thought so I dismissed it.

I don't think we can afford to be dismissive now. I think intelligent, responsible adults can handle this kind of thing but someone is going to have to figure out how to teach responsibility to 8 year olds even when they have terrible parents who don't care. Like it or not, this is a significant threat to freedom in the future. If kids are not taught responsibility and boundaries some of them are going to grow up and do things that will have a serious impact on the freedom of everyone.
edit on 16-1-2016 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 06:04 AM
link   
So terrible, so terrible.

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 07:22 AM
link   

What if there's a game where you play as a terrorist? Would that be going too far?

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 07:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

COD Modern warfare 2.

You play a character that is part of a terrorist group that attacks a busy Russian airport.

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 07:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
Yep , better ban Farcry 4 then as I murdered half the population of the Himalayas.
I think their mistake was to base the game in a real world location and use Aboriginals instead of natives , the game looks much like another game called The Forest which didn't cause a fuss because you kill (or are killed) by natives on an unnamed island.
I agree with you though Chad it's absolute PC nonsense , some people aren't happy unless they have something to get upset about.

LOL!!

The actual deed of killing is OK ....

Just don't put a name or ethnicity to the unfortunate deceased.

Don't know whether to
or

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 07:43 AM
link   
a reply to: BrianFlanders

My generation was really the first to be seriously touched by video games.

Guess I'm part of that generation too , been playing games for about 30 years.

I don't think we can afford to be dismissive now. I think intelligent, responsible adults can handle this kind of thing but someone is going to have to figure out how to teach responsibility to 8 year olds even when they have terrible parents who don't care.

I don't think we can afford to be swayed by sensationalist reports either , the game is about survival in a hostile environment not killing indigenous people , it gives the player the choice of joining the Aborigines or fighting against them.

I would have no problem letting my kids play this , Grand Theft Auto not so.

Mr and Mr's angry from Aversham have their knickers in a twist over nothing , let's not join them for no reason.

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 07:47 AM
link   

In case you guys haven't noticed, white people are pretty evil. They are xenophobic and racist and mean to women. We can't have video games where whites can choose to be mean, this could give them ideas and they will hurt more people. I mean c'mon, they are already oppressing everyone on the Planet.
edit on 16-1-2016 by GOrwell because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 07:55 AM
link   
The aboriginal people of Australia have a long history of being persecuted and massacred. I can understand that some people may find the game very offensive.

How do you think people would react if an iphone game was released where you could massacre Jews? I bet many of you would change your mind in that case.

This is an example of how the free-market works. If there is high demand for a product, someone will provide it. If the people don't like a product and it causes more problems than it's worth, the product will be pulled. This has nothing to do with political correctness and I wish people would quit throwing the term around so carelessly.

Personally, I couldn't care less. It's only a game and I don't waste my time or money on something so useless as a smart phone.

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 07:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia

originally posted by: gortex

LOL!!

The actual deed of killing is OK ....

Just don't put a name or ethnicity to the unfortunate deceased.

Don't know whether to
or

No , the Actual deed of killing isn't OK but killing in a game is because nobody actually dies , the killing in this game is in context with the players attempts to survive in an hostile environment , killing of humans is an option not a requirement.

I stand by what I wrote , the only reason this game has been singled out over similar survival games in the genre is the inclusion of Aborigines , if they were an unnamed tribe of cannibals we wouldn't be discussing the game because there would be no story.

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 08:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

The Saboteur was kind of like that. You were terrorizing nazis while they occupied paris, blowing up comms towers and such. Fun game!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join