It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PC Do Gooders Strike Again

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 09:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
This is how it works:

Do you think I'm three?

You (and the OP) want to blame the consumer (the "zeitgeist", the "do-gooders", the "PC brigade", etc.), for a decision that Apple made. The consumer influences business decisions. If more money could be made from the sale of this game than from discontinuing it, I'm quite sure Apple would decide to keep it. But it was in their best interest to stop selling it.

originally posted by: JDmOKI
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Yea its really sad that when people yell loud enough people tend get what they want.

If enough people want something, and they let their desires be known, they can get what they want... What's sad about that, exactly? Why shouldn't businesses make their decisions based on what people want???

If you think the public should dictate whats on the market you have way too much faith in humans.

I'm not saying the public should DICTATE. I'm saying we have voices and have a right to be heard. The BUSINESSES decide what to sell.

I haven't heard anyone fire off about how those games are racist in any way despite the level of violence.

Grand Theft Auto racist - look it up.

But that was racist, so the company had to change the ethnicity of the zombies

The company didn't HAVE to do anything! LOL! The company is not a victim. As I said, you guys just want to blame the people for things the companies do. The people have the right to complain about or praise any products they want.

If a game was about killing white American Christians, we'd be hearing a whole different chorus of people complaining, with the goal of influencing business decisions. They'd be writing the businesses and vowing to spread the word... But something tells me you wouldn't be bothered by that.
edit on 1/17/2016 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Sorry, can't feel sorry for the game maker. They used a very provocative game title for a reason, and it bit them in the ass this time.

They can easily slap a new title on it and rerelease it (which is what will happen).

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 10:38 AM
link   
i debated adding this...and decided to go ahead:

What baffles me the most here is that people who use Apple products, and have agreed to have a limited availability to products because of using Apple products, would get irate when Apple decides to no longer make a product available. When Apple decides to pull a product from ITunes....its "the PC crowd" that gets blamed?

You really can't make this up, people. Seriously.

Apple tells you that you can only use products availabe on ITunes. This isn't the first time they have decided to pull a product and create outrage over the decision. They do this somewhat frequently....and you still use their product. And blame anyone BUT Apple when it happens?

LOL.

edit on 1/17/2016 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 10:41 AM
link   

It's amusing how the concept of free market principles are being misinterpreted as political correctness. Even more, it appears those that are more likely to opine on the superiority of a free market are the ones misinterpreting it as PC.

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 10:43 AM
link   

I'm saying that you call it "free market," but it isn't exactly and I explained why.

It is a business decision, but not one based on what the actual market dictated in terms of supply and demand. They saw a controversy based around the flag and decided to get ahead before any potential bad press they may or may not have received. They didn't actually wait to see if they would get any.

Can you show me where a bunch of Apple users got together and demanded Apple remove Civil War games because they had the Confederate flag in them? Or can you show me the games had bad sales figures and that there was no market for those games?

If not, then they didn't make any decision based on anything their consumers demanded of them or any lack of demand in the market for the games which means their market didn't demand anything. They reacted to the zeitgeist.

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 10:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
i debated adding this...and decided to go ahead:

What baffles me the most here is that people who use Apple products, and have agreed to have a limited availability to products because of using Apple products, would get irate when Apple decides to no longer make a product available. When Apple decides to pull a product from ITunes....its "the PC crowd" that gets blamed?

You really can't make this up, people. Seriously.

Apple tells you that you can only use products availabe on ITunes. This isn't the first time they have decided to pull a product and create outrage over the decision. They do this somewhat frequently....and you still use their product. And blame anyone BUT Apple when it happens?

LOL.

Actually I do blame Apple. I thought my post made that clear. I also don't use any Apple products.

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

my comments are in general, and not "in reply to".

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Eh maybe this is somewhat off topic but I find it incredibly disingenuous that Apple would have thought to pull a game because it has a confederate flag in it, while at the same time having their products be built using what is essentially child slave labor.

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Punisher75
Eh maybe this is somewhat off topic but I find it incredibly disingenuous that Apple would have thought to pull a game because it has a confederate flag in it, while at the same time having their products be built using what is essentially child slave labor.

Its all about risk. There is no risk using their current labor model. There IS risk for having a non PC game on their marketplace (kids love Apple, and parents love making kids happy....Apple ain't stupid).

Thing is: this is a "shame on us" scenario. We have made a market (as the consumers) where we will pitch a fit about having access to a game about killing Aboriginals, but are silent on their atrocious labor practices (despite it being common knowledge). This speaks poorly about humanity on the whole.

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Its all about risk. There is no risk using their current labor model. There IS risk for having a non PC game on their marketplace (kids love Apple, and parents love making kids happy....Apple ain't stupid).

Herein lay the absurdity of the whole controversy. LOL

Thing is: this is a "shame on us" scenario. We have made a market (as the consumers) where we will pitch a fit about having access to a game about killing Aboriginals, but are silent on their atrocious labor practices (despite it being common knowledge). This speaks poorly about humanity on the whole.

I agree totally we would rather be offended on behalf of virtual people than people who live in the real world, real actual living people.
At the risk of being melodramatic, people truly live in the Matrix.

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Punisher75

It's the same impulse that leads people to go on days' long agonies over the shooting of a lion but ignore the everyday tragedies that take place in every inner city in the US involving real children.

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 12:56 PM
link   

It is a business decision, but not one based on what the actual market dictated in terms of supply and demand. They saw a controversy based around the flag and decided to get ahead before any potential bad press they may or may not have received. They didn't actually wait to see if they would get any.

Agreed. I'm not disagreeing with you on that at all.

Can you show me where a bunch of Apple users got together and demanded Apple remove Civil War games because they had the Confederate flag in them? Or can you show me the games had bad sales figures and that there was no market for those games?

I'm not making either claim, so, of course I don't anything to back up a claim I didn't make.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join