It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ted Cruz was born in Canada

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Recently I learned Ted Cruz was born in Canada, yet he is running to be President of the United State of AMERICA.

The problem is, the United States Constitution states that a person must be a natural born citizen of the USA.

As directed by the Constitution, a presidential candidate must be a natural born citizen of the United States, a resident for 14 years, and 35 years of age or older.

www.loc.gov...

Being the Ted Cruz was born in a DIFFERENT country, I do not see how on Earth Ted Cruz can be considered for the office.

As far as I can tell, the Founding Fathers did not consider a person born in Canada to be a Natural Born Citizen.

I heard Ted Cruz recently suggested that Donald Trump change his campaign song to "New York New York", but I think it would be just as fitting for Mr. Cruz to change his campaign theme song to "Oh Canada".

Please tell me how a Canadian born Cuban can be eligible to be president of these United States?

What do you guys think?

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 06:21 PM
link   
He is a natural born citizen because one of his parents was a full citizen of the United States.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Your correct, he was born in Canada, his father was born and raised in Cuba, only his mother was born in American, that means he's not qualified.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: yesyesyes

His mother is an American Citizen. He simply happened to be born outside the country, as is the case with many children of Americans who travel abroad, for one reason or another, whether work or military often means "natural born" Americans are born as Americans citizens yet in another country.

edit on 13-1-2016 by Kitana because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Sorry, but he's all yours now. We don't want him back. Anyway, he's from Calgary which is only sorta Canada :-)

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Your correct, he was born in Canada, his father was born and raised in Cuba, only his mother was born in America, that means he's not qualified.

Edit: unless his parents were both American and in the military or US government employees overseas and he was born on base then he would be considered Natural Born Citizen.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 06:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake
He is a natural born citizen because one of his parents was a full citizen of the United States.

So he is a reverse anchor baby? lol

I don't think that's right at all. I think he is a citizen, but he was not born in America and I think the people who drafted the Constitution felt that a natural born citizen was a person born here naturally, like born here. Otherwise they would
of stipulated full citizen, or child of full citizen, they did not write that.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 06:30 PM
link   
The problem with the term natural born citizen is there really is no definition of the term and it doesn't say what it is in the constitution. Cruz is of course a American citizen because his mother was a citizen but is he a natural born citizen? I don't think he should be called one because he was born in another country. So no he shouldn't be able to run for president.

+8 more 
posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 06:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake

Funny how people didn't think this way when it came to Obama.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: 38181
Your correct, he was born in Canada, his father was born and raised in Cuba, only his mother was born in American, that means he's not qualified.

www.washingtonpost.com...

"All the sources routinely used to interpret the Constitution confirm that the phrase “natural born Citizen” has a specific meaning: namely, someone who was a U.S. citizen at birth with no need to go through a naturalization proceeding at some later time. And Congress has made equally clear from the time of the framing of the Constitution to the current day that, subject to certain residency requirements on the parents, someone born to a U.S. citizen parent generally becomes a U.S. citizen without regard to whether the birth takes place in Canada, the Canal Zone, or the continental United States.

While some constitutional issues are truly difficult, with framing-era sources either nonexistent or contradictory, here, the relevant materials clearly indicate that a “natural born Citizen” means a citizen from birth with no need to go through naturalization proceedings. . . .
Despite the happenstance of a birth across the border, there is no question that Senator Cruz has been a citizen from birth and is thus a “natural born Citizen” within the meaning of the Constitution. Indeed, because his father had also been resident in the United States, Senator Cruz would have been a “natural born Citizen” even under the Naturalization Act of 1790"

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kitana

Both of his parents are American Citizens, and were at his birth. He simply happened to be born outside the country, as is the case with many children of Americans who travel abroad, for one reason or another, whether work or military often means "natural born" Americans are born as Americans citizens yet in another country.

There is no legal challenge to him running for president, because both his parents are and were American citizens at the time of his birth. Being born while your parents are abroad does not take away that natural born citizen right .

His father was not a citizen until 2005 I have read. Neither of his parents were in the military, I don't think the founding fathers intended a Canadian to become president.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 06:36 PM
link   

This sounds very familiar....

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 06:37 PM
link   
There's precedent in the courts for this.

He's qualified.

He renounced his Canadian citizenship. Anybody who argues otherwise will have to make a court challenge, otherwise it's just talk.

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

Funny how the same people who defended Obama screamed it at us for years how legal it is, yet when it is someone they don't like suddenly its an issue. If its not an issue for Obama then it shouldn't be an issue for cruz.. at least cruz isn't trying to hide the fact.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 06:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010
The problem with the term natural born citizen is there really is no definition of the term and it doesn't say what it is in the constitution. Cruz is of course a American citizen because his mother was a citizen but is he a natural born citizen? I don't think he should be called one because he was born in another country. So no he shouldn't be able to run for president.

I agree.

Does anyone really think George Washington thought a guy born in Canada should be the leader of America?

I just don't see it at all.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 06:39 PM
link   

He is a natural born citizen of the US. Both of his parents were US citizens at the time of his birth. They just happened to be in another country, which is perfectly ok. If you are an American citizen but happen to be on vacation in another country while pregnant and happened to give birth while you were there, would the baby be denied US citizenship? Of course not...it doesn't work that way.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 06:40 PM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

Not that I keep with Birther issues but I recently I learned while Ted was born his parents were registered voters in Canada which means they were citizens. Technically the U.S. only wants its citizens to swear an alligence to it, not to other nations. There are plenty of people with dual citizenship and that's because other nations, like Israel, don't care if your a citizen of both nations. So if it's true that his parents were Canadian citizens with a voting record during his birth than he might run into problems. We might see Trump send his people to Canada to investigate.
edit on 13-1-2016 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

That's mostly for tax purposes, it doesn't make you any less 'American' to have dual citizenship. Otherwise, we should be asking all the dual citizen Israelis what they are doing in congress and the senate.

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Rafael Bienvenido Cruz (Ted's father) was born Cuban, obtained Canadian citizenship during his residency in Canada, and renounced his Canadian citizenship and became a naturalized US citizen in 2005.

He was a Cuban citizen at the time of Ted's birth, 1970, only because there is no way he would have obtained a Canadian citizenship in the time of his arrival to Canada and Ted's birth.
edit on 13-1-2016 by peck420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Is Cruz also a natural born Canadian? To me, an individual can only be "natural born" in a single nation; the one they were naturally born in. "Natural born" should not be some option that certain foreign born individuals choose at a later date.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join