It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gravity still Elusive?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Nochzwei

I don't need to know much about gravity. But I've spent a lifetime worrying about the failure of gravity. If someone suddenly turned off gravity, all would be lost. And I'm obviously not the only one who worries about this. Why else would we build houses with roofs? We need the ceilings to hold us down in the event gravity were to suddenly fail.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Lol. Okay...

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple

Lol. Okay...

Well, he wasn't wrong..

Can any scientific institution today that is public, show a demonstration of gravity being controlled and manipulated by technology?

No.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: NoCorruptionAllowed

Calling light a form of energy is super wrong.
And what about planes? These things fly...

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

Electromagnetic energy is the same as radiation or light. How can calling light a form of energy be wrong???

And lets face it you have still as of yet refused to tell us why gravity is not mysterious?

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Well light thanks to its particle wave duality is more mysterious than gravity.

What about gravity is not mysterious? Are you kidding me? Do you want me to explain it to you in detail, or how else could i answer that? Tell me what you find confusing and i'll see if i can help.
But you lack some serious physics basics, radiation is not the same as light, nor is electro-magnetism...

Or here ask them.
edit on 3-1-2016 by Peeple because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 11:33 AM
link   

At least i understand that gravity does indeed effect energy as well as matter. You seem to be the one that lacks some serious basic concepts regarding physics.

I find you rather confusing and presumptuous truth be told. At the risk of sounding nasty possibly you should stick to writing.

Lets run with it however since you offered, yes i would indeed like you to explain gravity in every detail and to its totality?

Go on then, impress us all by explaining the mysterious force?

Unwrap the mysteries for the likes of people such as myself and i will be really impressed.

edit on 3-1-2016 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Calling light a form of energy is super wrong.
And what about planes? These things fly...

Photons are energy. They have no mass, but they don't defeat gravity from a black hole.

Planes aren't defeating gravity when they fly, they actually depend on it to fly. The air giving lift by the action of airfoil shape of the wing is balanced by the gravity pulling it down making flight of the plane controllable. Gravity in that case is only being taken advantage of to make flight controlled, it isn't being changed or manipulated.

edit on 3-1-2016 by NoCorruptionAllowed because: added

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 11:38 AM
link   

And i am still waiting for the source of that? Show me.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 11:41 AM
link   

The source that gravity effects light???

Light is clearly affected by gravity, just think about a black hole!

Now come on explain gravity in its totality since its apparently not mysterious to you?

Mere mortals such as myself and other inquiring minds want to know!

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Photons are energy. Light itself is a wave. Means photons transported through air. And the mass of a photon is 1*10^-18 eV/c^2.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Light sources a gravitational field, because of the stress energy tensor.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Well thanks for clarifying that light which consists of photons is indeed a form of energy.

Now on to gravity, how does that work, whats it made of, etc? Layman's terms if you dont mind considering you have mastered the mysterious force and apparently i lack basic physics.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Seriously? What exactly is the mystery?
And it is still not the same as electro-magnetism or radiation.

edit on 3-1-2016 by Peeple because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   

"What exactly is the mystery?"

That's you explanation as to how the force of gravity functions with relation to the other active forces in nature!

Give me a minute.

What is gravity?

What causes Gravity?

Why is gravity so weak?

Why is gravity so fine-tuned?

Why does gravity only pull with relation to quantum field theory?

What is the quantum theory of gravity for that matter?

Please reveal those mystery's

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: NoCorruptiolowed
Depends what you mean. If you meant what you typed, magnets can Technically control the influence of gravity. Super conductors can.

But you are correct we can't directly harness it, not to my knowledge.

edit on 3-1-2016 by rossacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Sometimes just saying my bad I was wrong is more appreciated. It helps stimulate debate.

You might want to research how Einsteins theory was proved correct, it will help you understand that mass curves time/space which affects light.
edit on 3-1-2016 by rossacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: intergalactic fire
I believe that one day they will find that gravity and magnetism are the same.

For now the only thing they have in common as a fact is that they can't explain nor magnetism nor gravity

It's just a feeling though.

Maybe it's not such a big surprise that magnet/magnetism is used in almost every technological invention or
that the earth itself act as a giant magnet
and let's not talk about galaxies
or stars

Just a feeling those 2 mysterious forces are somehow linked. They are all two 'weak' forces on small scale but on a big scale they rule they universe (and i'm not talking about artificially created magnets)

Gravity and magnetism are different forces.

Their causes, mechanisms and effects have been completely and adequately described in theory and mathematics.

Here's a Wikipedia article on the Timeline of gravitational physics and relativity.

If you are uncertain of what each event in the timeline means, you can click links that explain the details.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS
a reply to: Nochzwei

I don't need to know much about gravity. But I've spent a lifetime worrying about the failure of gravity. If someone suddenly turned off gravity, all would be lost. And I'm obviously not the only one who worries about this. Why else would we build houses with roofs? We need the ceilings to hold us down in the event gravity were to suddenly fail.

That's why they used to build things out of huge blocks of stone. the blocks of stone were so heavy so they'd have something to hold on to if gravity got shut off.

Modern humans have lost so much ancient knowledge!

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed

Lol. Okay...

Well, he wasn't wrong..

Can any scientific institution today that is public, show a demonstration of gravity being controlled and manipulated by technology?

No.

Yes. It's called an elevator.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join