It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can't stop pop ups when viewing ATS b

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 07:06 AM
link   
For a few months now I have been frustrated with ATS. Every time I open to just browse or log in I keep getting pop ups suggesting I might like to download some type of free Ap.

I only experience this on my iPhone. My PC does not have this problem.

Is anyone else experiencing pop up advertising on ATS?

If so any solutions would be great to hear. Otherwise I'm just getting tired of being re-directed to Ap downloads I don't want.

(post by TheMadTitan removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)
(post by Danowski removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 07:28 AM
link   
a reply to: TheMadTitan

Add blockers are against T&Cs.

20b) Ad Blockers: As the Websites are provided as a free service, in part through the income of our advertising, you agree not to use "ad-blocking" software or similar built-in web browser options designed to obfuscate or block online advertising while using the Websites.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

a reply to: inquisitivenature
I don't use an add blocker nor do I have pop up adds but I use a PC not a phone , I'd suggest scanning your phone for any little nastys that may be causing the problem , either that or it's because you're using a money grabbing Apple product.

edit on 2-1-2016 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Ad blockers are against the T&C's as this is how ATS generates revenue. Watch out for the Malleus Maximus!

I have the same problem with my phone. I don't even bother trying to visit ATS on my phone otr tablet because of it.
edit on 1/2/2016 by Kukri because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 07:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: inquisitivenature
For a few months now I have been frustrated with ATS. Every time I open to just browse or log in I keep getting pop ups suggesting I might like to download some type of free Ap.

If so any solutions would be great to hear. Otherwise I'm just getting tired of being re-directed to Ap downloads I don't want.

SO had replied to a similar thread that some phone providers in certain areas were using these popups. I think Las vegas was one area. There were a couple more. I think it was for Uber.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 07:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kukri
Ad blockers are against the T&C's as this is how ATS generates revenue. Watch out for the Malleus Maximus!

I have the same problem with my phone. I don't even bother trying to visit ATS on my phone otr tablet because of it.

I have that 'thing' on. It doesn't block the one or 2 popups I get if I physically log in. I don't mind 1 or 2. There was just 1 today in the lower right corner. And not for an app. I don;t think it's against T&C, how would I remember to turn it off and on? I think I have manually turned it off for ATS, but it comes back on when I open and close the browser.
edit on 2-1-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

Hmm....I stand corrected. I will do my best to have it off here.

Even with it on you will get the big truck ad and occasionally the small one in the lower right. I only see those on this site.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 07:42 AM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Gortex posted the section (20b) right above mine in the T&c's regarding blockers.

20b) Ad Blockers: As the Websites are provided as a free service, in part through the income of our advertising, you agree not to use "ad-blocking" software or similar built-in web browser options designed to obfuscate or block online advertising while using the Websites.

ETA:
I see you caught it NVM
edit on 1/2/2016 by Kukri because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 07:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Kukri
Ya, that is why I edited to say "I stand corrected".

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 07:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: reldra
a reply to: Kukri
Ya, that is why I edited to say "I stand corrected".

And I edited to show that LMAO

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 07:45 AM
link   
SkepticOverlord quote

I have been alerted that mobile providers in Las Vegas, Los Angeles, San Francisco, New York City, Chicago, and Miami are injecting ads over sites that haven't paid the fee to prevent this. I'm trying to track down the source(s), but unfortunately, right now, there's not much we can do other than complain.

and this:
COX communications injecting ads

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I did 2 tests on my phone, which I haven't used for ATS in awhile. One while connected to my home WIFI which is Verizon. There were some small ads trying to load, but they didn't. There were small aspinning 'loading circles' where an ad should have been. Whether I was logged in or not. I use only 'plain internet' not maxthon or anything special on my phone. I then turned wifi off, and then was on AT&T 4g. Navigated to ATS. There were ads, but imbedded between topics to click on. None of them were pop ups.

I am in upstate NY. An Uber popup would be useless, as we don;t have Uber anywhere close. But no popups, nonetheless.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 12:10 PM
link   

I know exactly what you mean and I hate it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So annoying being taken to the god damn app store!!!!!!!!

edit on 2-1-2016 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   

SO had replied to a similar thread that some phone providers in certain areas were using these popups. I think Las vegas was one area. There were a couple more. I think it was for Uber.

I think it's more a universal thing with either wireless providers or the wi-fi network.

I get pop ups on my phone ALL the time, and it's annoying. When I'm my iphone on twitter it seems that 80-90% of the time when I click on a link (news-based links), the page in question will automatically load a pop up. It's not the old school pop ups, either, but the new in-page ads that blockers can't block because it's in the script itself, I think. I usually get more ads if i turn wi-fi off, but even when in network I still get that crap.

Never had a problem with ATS that I can recall, but god it's annoying. Makes me not even want to visit the sites because it's so inconvenient.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I don't have that problem, but there is a Target ad on my live feed that blocks more than half of the content. ATS, I could care less that you have ads in the header, but they have become increasingly more annoying, and now are preventing me from normal use of the website.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   

You have to wonder what benefit these advertisers get from annoying the hell out of people! I'm sure a majority of people like myself immediately close out the ad. Getting your product's name out there is one thing, but when you're doing it to annoy the hell out of people, it tarnishes the image of your company and product.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 04:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons

You have to wonder what benefit these advertisers get from annoying the hell out of people! I'm sure a majority of people like myself immediately close out the ad. Getting your product's name out there is one thing, but when you're doing it to annoy the hell out of people, it tarnishes the image of your company and product.

Yeah, I hate advertisements. Prefer to watch programming that is recorded so I can fastforward through it. On here everytime I would try to look at any news link that dam Dodge Ram ad would take up the whole monitor.. grrrr.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 07:13 PM
link   
ATS on an iPad is unusable. The Uber ad/tab takes up a third of the screen and woe betide you if you touch it by mistake. The horror.

Its despicable behaviour from both Uber and ATS's part. I just dont come on as often as i would normally. Simple.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Yep it wasn't originally Uber but for the last couple of weeks it is. I don't mind so much having advertising it's the fact it takes me to download Aps which takes me away from the page I actually want to read. It would be a real shame if people have to stop reading ATS because of stupid ads.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 07:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills

I know exactly what you mean and I hate it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So annoying being taken to the god damn app store!!!!!!!!

Yes F*#*#*%g pp'ssame here. Silly strategy from ATS. They just lose members

top topics

<<   2 >>

join