It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Koko the gorilla gives New Years message , "Man stupid… stupid! Koko sorry, Koko cry"

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: artistpoet
a reply to: Bedlam

Her natural way of communication is not as ours
Yet there are vids of Koko interacting with Humans where there is no script

Sure. But her communication isn't that...structured. When I read the 'message' it was clear it was bull#, so I looked a little farther and voila! they admit they gave her a script and prompted her line by line to sign it.

Thus it's total hogwash.

Koko thinks Humans are stupid perhaps for imprisoning her and that makes her sad because she should be in nature with her own kind who understand her

I'd go for she wants a banana or likes kool-aid. A lot more complexity I wouldn't count on.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals

originally posted by: Blueracer
What an intelligent, thoughtful gorilla. She could just be mimicking what she has been taught. Or copying someone outside of view. Why would they teach her "man stupid"? Or "Fix Earth"? Or "Help Earth"? Coco only knows what she has been taught so doing what she has been taught isn't like it is her thoughts. I just feel like there is much more to this than what we are shown.

Are all you know just what you've been taught? Do you not have intuition as well? I believe animals, especially higher animals such as primates have extremely sensitive intuition. They know the Earth is in trouble, they see it everywhere in the loss of animals and changes in the plant life and weather. Often they know far more than we do; our tendency towards logic always demands evidence and never relies on feeling. Feeling has kept these animals alive for millions of years, they certainly didn't think their way to their current state of evolution.

I think Koko knows the true state of the planet; badly polluted and losing species every day. Koko also knows man is the driver of this damage and it is up to him to stop it.

I chose my screen name for this very reason, because animals do have much to teach us.

I asked my dog to teach me about the environment... no answer.Tomorrow I will ask the crow.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 11:29 AM
link   

I'd go for she wants a banana or likes kool-aid. A lot more complexity I wouldn't count on.

Sure she loves food just like Humans do ... I doubt she would understand what "kool aid" is however
By complexity what do you mean
edit on 2-1-2016 by artistpoet because: Typo

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 11:31 AM
link   
What the gorilla says makes sense, but who the hell has he been talking to?

In order for him to gain this kind of perspective, he would have to have been exposed to propaganda (like being told stories by his handlers or watching the news). A gorilla in a zoo is not going to be exposed to enough to know that humans are messing up the planet.

It sounds like he is repeating what he was told, which is different than coming to the conclusion himself.
edit on 02amSat, 02 Jan 2016 11:33:48 -0600kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Sunwolf

I asked my dog to teach me about the environment... no answer.Tomorrow I will ask the crow

Animals teach by example if you study them

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: artistpoet

Sure she loves food just like Humans do ... I doubt she would understand what "kool aid" is however

Didn't she call it 'watermelon drink' or something? I know it was a big deal in terms of abstract thought.

By complexity what do you mean

"nature" as a concept is going to be beyond her. As are metaphors. When I read the touching part about 'i am flowers, i am animals' that's the first giveaway. Metaphor is very complex. A lot of humans have a tough time with it, you don't see Koko or any other primate other than man use them in communication.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Didn't she call it 'watermelon drink' or something? I know it was a big deal in terms of abstract thought.

I wasn't aware of that

I understand what you are saying now you have explained ... can I have a banana now lol
Seriously though ... animals just get on with it ... Humans as you say are more complex ...

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I remember watching a documentary on mountain gorillas a while back. They are pretty much nomadic because they completely destroy the trees containing their food. They devastate the jungle wherever they go.

Someone should try teaching him the phrase about people in glass houses...

But that aside the youtube video is pretty fake.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
a reply to: gortex

Koko!!!
You old hippy chick you have lost a lot lately and it has been a few hard years for you but we are trying you know not all of us are bad and many fight the good fight.
We will strive forward with the help of the great monkey sage and do much better in the future.
Yours your child BM xx.,

I think it is the old hippy chick trainer that works with her...

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 01:57 PM
link   

a reply to: Deaf Alien

When they evolve opposable thumbs dude we are doomed.

Even then, they will never beat me on Halo!

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 01:57 PM
link   
What a beautiful story, regardless if it is not genuine.

Koko nails it imo.
edit on 2/1/16 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Future generations of apes looked up to Koko as...THE LAWGIVER

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 02:00 PM
link   
wow

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Can she run for president?

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: greencmp

originally posted by: thesaneone
Most ridiculous story of 2016 and it just started.

Wow.

"Koko love taxes, Koko vote democrat, Koko no likey firesticks"

Koko 2016, what difference does it make?

Come on you already had george W so there is already a president for a monkey in the oval office

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 02:09 PM
link   

a reply to: Deaf Alien

When they evolve opposable thumbs dude we are doomed.

They already have opposable thumbs on their hands AND feet. Just sayin'
edit on 2-1-2016 by Halfswede because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

originally posted by: greencmp

originally posted by: thesaneone
Most ridiculous story of 2016 and it just started.

Wow.

"Koko love taxes, Koko vote democrat, Koko no likey firesticks"

Koko 2016, what difference does it make?

Come on you already had george W so there is already a president for a monkey in the oval office

That's a funny Freudian slip or spellcheck error!

Somebody had a great kool-aid pun in there as well but, I'm not sure anyone really got it!

edit on 2-1-2016 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: MrMasterMinder

I remember watching a documentary on mountain gorillas a while back. They are pretty much nomadic because they completely destroy the trees containing their food. They devastate the jungle wherever they go.

They may rip off tree branches to get to their desired food ... I doubt they uproot them and and throw them about.
If it is fruit they eating ... they will also plant it's seeds in a natural way ... unknowing
It used to be a big jungle and by the time Gorillas have done the rounds more trees would have grown ... trees are always growing in a natural environment ...

Hell living in some parts of Canada it is an ongoing task just to keep the forest back ... it encroaches so quickly on homesteads if left unchecked

But Yes those big bad stupid gorillas ... at least Humans do not go about really destroying forests do they ....

May Koko forgive you sir for your defamation of her species .... lol
edit on 2-1-2016 by artistpoet because: Typo

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Halfswede

That was in response to my OT post. Why it was OT I have no idea.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

OMG I have slipped again, I know Koko died recently... was so sad to hear about the news as I have loved koko so much.

Ok KOKO KNOWS. I wish life could be different for this special being.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join