It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Koko the gorilla gives New Years message , "Man stupid… stupid! Koko sorry, Koko cry"

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: AttitudeProblem

That's gotta be one confused Gorilla.

Man very good Koko.

Now say Man bad Koko..

Poor Koko i feel for you.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 01:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

Attempted emotional manipulation to push forth an agenda no doubt...

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Many of us that are dog and cat owners, witness the subtle intelligence that they reveal on occasion.
The only way we would know exactly what they can comprehend is to be them, which we cannot.

I do not find it hard to believe that a gorilla, on an evolutionary path similar to ours, would not have cognitive skills that, if we could experience them, would amaze us.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 04:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero
Someone please tell Koko... Man not stupid, Koko stupid! Do you think it would be like the teasing the Bigfoot commercials?

I nominate you to go in and tell a 400 pound gorilla that she is stupid.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 05:08 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

The earth is not dying unless you want to buy into the NWO UN agenda 21blah blah blah

The world may not be dying but the habitats where many species including Gorillas live is , loss of habitat is one of the biggest problems facing wildlife today , a problem that will only get worse as our expansion continues.

Seems to me many believe we are the only species that matter , our way of life must be protected regardless of the impact it has on the other inhabitants of this planet , better to ignore the message and shoot the messenger.

Koko may or may not understand what she is saying but the point is she is being used as a representative for the other creatures on this world who don't have a voice , the message may not be her's but the symbolism is there to make the point better than any video of a Human could.

We are the most intelligent species on this planet , some think it's time we started behaving in a way that reflects that.

11 animals we've lost in our liftime

edit on 3-1-2016 by gortex because: edit to add link

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 06:04 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74
Thank you for sharing that video! I fell in love with sweet Koko and it was so nice to see Robin Williams.
Happy New Year!

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Sure I get what you are trying to do and that is ensure that species dont go extinct, a worthy pursuit, I think aftre all the crap about how man should be wiped off the earth because he is a virus - i have a problem when "you apologize for me". The line between you apologizing for me then becomes some politicians mantra proclaiming a a UN Tax, or carbon tax that will make some billionaires trillionaires through an artificial market in Chicago, London or New York; is a thin line.

Even as we speak the UN is trying to implement draconian tax regimes that will impact harshly on first world nations. The developing nations are to be given exemptions so they can catch up to our "polluting ways" In other words they will be allowed to slash and burn for a few more years because " we were priveleged "

you state...

The world may not be dying but ,

I get that, but why

better to ignore the message and shoot the messenger.

How have I shot you by asking you not to apologize on my behalf? Why twist my words.

Koko may or may not understand what she is saying but the point is she is being used as a representative for the other creatures on this world who don't have a voice , the message may not be her's but the symbolism is there to make the point better than any video of a Human could

So the earth may not be dying and its alright to trick us into being warm and fuzzy by pretending that Koko has become Gaias voice; in the name of the greater good. We went through the seventies and eighties looking at all the starving children on TV only to find out later that they may have been actors and that 90% of our donations went to the Administrators - and not in filling up that childs belly.

I dont use real wood, ie Teak, those forests ( her home ) being degraded are a result of slash and burn substinence living, by the indegenous peoples, logging for export or for oil extraction. I get that. Man and animal can coexist.

What I have a problem with is anthropomorising animals, its degrading and insults the animal and the recipient of the propaganda. We went through propaganda like this in the 50s when doctors went around saying smoking cigarettes was "good for you".

Hunt down and hang by the heels (Mussolini style) in a public sqaure, those that slash at sharks and leave them to drown to extract shark fin, or drain bears of their bile for "medicine", or those that kill tigers, rhinoceros's, elephants only to hang their trophys in their living rooms.

I have great respect for you as a human, as a contributor and where you heart is. Please dont lower your standards by playing the same game. The way you get the message across is just as important ethically as the desired outcome you hope to acheive.

edit on 3-1-2016 by TheConstruKctionofLight because: oops

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Sparkymedic

I agree. It's just a SLIGHTLY edited video.... Not that I disagree with the message, totally. But I am totally against this "save the earth from getting warmer through taxes" and other BS like that.

I think we should and can do better as a species who manipulates their environment significantly.

But I have absolutely no faith in COP21, the UN or any government/ politician. Why make decisions on solutions, through ego and monetary restrictions, rather than arrive at a decision through the scientific method?

Oh that's right, the socioeconomic pyramid scheme doesn't fit within that realm.

quoted in full, therein lies the crux of the manipulated message for a calculated outcome that will benefit the top of the pyramid - the same ol' same ol' thats been repeating through millenia. Before it was called religion and it worked closely with the State; now its called saving the planet.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

So not only did she not originate this, she didn't even know the concepts. And then put together a lot of bits and pieces where they got her to sign with the script. Total bull#

Knowing the way these corporations think it would not surprise me if they got Koko to sign a waiver, stating that they were her words and that the "Foundation" took no responsibility for the message...or consequential harm or damages....blah blah blah

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

How have I shot you by asking you not to apologize on my behalf? Why twist my words.

I meant generally not specifically at you , as with the apology.

So the earth may not be dying and its alright to trick us into being warm and fuzzy by pretending that Koko has become Gaias voice; in the name of the greater good.

If the message is seen and heard by a greater number of people because it's presented by a member of a species that's under threat I don't see a problem.

I dont use real wood, ie Teak, those forests ( her home ) being degraded are a result of slash and burn substinence living, by the indegenous peoples, logging for export or for oil extraction.

Much of the problem in the Rainforests is caused by land being taken over for agriculture to grow Palm oil crops but the problem extends further than Rainforests , loss of habitat is happening everywhere with many species less cuddly than the ones highlighted suffering.

The food chain is a delicate thing , by ignoring the accelerated loss of species we are storing up problems for ourselves in the future.

What I have a problem with is anthropomorising animals, its degrading and insults the animal and the recipient of the propaganda.

I think animals basically want what we want , freedom to live their lives and a place for them to live it.
If it were possible to take a straw poll across the animal kingdom I'm sure the sentiments expressed by Koko would be repeated time after time.

edit on 3-1-2016 by gortex because: spelling of coursee

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

I nominate you to go in and tell a 400 pound gorilla that she is stupid.

No... You every watch one of those Bigfoot commercials...lol The good news is she is not the 800 pound gorilla...

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 03:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon
a reply to: gortex

How is it that I agree with a gorilla more then the activities of my own species...

Youre not alone, youre not alone. I'd vote for koko as president of the world. She seems wise, compassionate, and caring. Qualities a leader should have. We need more care and empathy in this world.

I grant her the title: Koko the Wise

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: SoulSurfer

You may get your wish...

I hear Trump has ancestors in the orangutan family...

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Koko is entirely awesome.

I haven't even read beyond the title....
but F/S.

Koko with her kitten.

And here's another, just to illustrate how awful things are.....

If we don't collectively care about others on this planet, we are surely doomed.

edit on 1/3/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: SoulSurfer

I grant her the title: Koko the Wise

Koko the mouthpiece would be a bit more apropos.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

How is it that I agree with a gorilla more then the activities of my own species...

Right?

I was just thinking about that this morning...
why do I care more about the abused and abandoned "pet" animals, the maimed and injured and orphaned wild animals...by 100%? I care 100% more about them than I do about the human condition. This is something that is really troubling me.

I know I spend lots of time advocating for the kids...
but - how did I come to this point that an article talking about a rhino's horn being chopped off, or a lion named Cecil being shot by a freaking dentist, or Koko's kitteh dying makes me weep, where the pics of war victims don't even really faze me anymore???

Fine.
That's how it is.

Turn me into a toad, take away my birthday and stamp "No Dessert" on my forehead.....but I will ALWAYS care more about innocent animals than I do about humans.

This world has done that to me.
I can't even LOOK at articles with headlines about animals being maimed, poached, etc.....
it breaks my heart.

edit on 1/3/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

I was just thinking about that this morning...
why do I care more about the abused and abandoned "pet" animals, the maimed and injured and orphaned wild animals...by 100%? I care 100% more about them than I do about the human condition. This is something that is really troubling me.

Various groups have figured this out...and that's why the "Koko manifesto". You did read the posts where it's pointed out that she didn't say this on her own, was taught a script calculated to be a tear-jerker, taught to make signs she didn't know in order to parrot the script back, and that they had to edit out a ton of stuff she was signing because it didn't match the message they wanted to force out of her?

They might as well have taken a stuffed gorilla and moved its arms and hands. It would have been more honest.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I realize that apes are pretty smart, and Koko probably lands pretty high on the "Monkey-see, Monkey-do",ape intellegence bell-curve, but come on, does this not come across as a wee bit dishonest?

I'm sure that Koko can probably understand a few simple concepts, and, truth be told, she may even be more intelligent than a few of the humans I've met, hehe. I find it a bit disingenuous to put this forward as some kind of "Warning message from Koko to the human race" and claim she has anything more than the most rudimentary understanding of the concepts involved.

Seriously?

To me, at least, it's just to tug on people's heart strings in order to produce the desired emotional response.

So far, it seems to be having EXACTLY that effect, especially from the "People bad, Animals good" tree-hugging crowd.

Not that there's anything wrong with hugging trees, I suppose, if you happen to lean that way...

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 08:12 PM
link   
It's the equivalent of having a social/political activist getting little kids to say what they want to be heard. Remember that video that feminist group made that had the little girls dropping the F Bomb?
Same sort of thing. Little kids had no real idea what their are talking about, nor the social nuances of any of it, but hey, it got views right?
Abuse and use the kid... Abuse and use the Gorilla I reckon, why not?

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 08:16 PM
link   
if koko actually comprehends what those words mean taught to her 1 could consider
If she is unaware of what the words fully mean and is only at the stage of recognizing the connection between hand signs and pictures that is still a leap
if she is just mimicking another it seems simple

Thinks its a combination

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join