It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Artifact Found Near Lufkin, TX - Need Help Identifying

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Not sure if this is the correct place to ask but we are looking for help identifying an object. A friend of my husband posted the picture on facebook asking if any one could identify an artifact the was revealed while plowing a field in the Lufkin, TX area. It appears to show a Spanish Conquistador. We did a google image search but nothing like it came up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: TXTriker
It is in the shape of a water pitcher, Cameo style Spanish conquistador for sure, it looks to new to be a few hundred years old in the ground, you can tell by the eye as the carving there is to deep and very distinct as if it were done just last week and put in t e ground.

could have been a clay toy for a doll or child's play set. need pictures of top and bottom that would help.

edit on 1-1-2016 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn
It is in the shape of a water pitcher, Cameo style Spanish conquistador for sure, it looks to new to be a few hundred years old in the ground, you can tell by the eye as the carving there is to deep and very distinct as if it were done just last week and put in t e ground.

could have been a clay toy for a doll or child's play set. need pictures of top and bottom that would help.

We will try - it came to facebook from a local newspaper. We are trying to find which one to see if there are any more pictures.

While we are looking following is the description that was put on facebook.

Does anyone know what this might be? It was plowed up in a pasture in east texas approximately 1905. Looks to be spanish in origin. It has a seam in the middle as if it were poured in a mold then fired. It does not feel like clay has a Glass like feel to it. Any opinions appreciated. Thank You
edit on 1/1/2016 by TXTriker because: extra info

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 05:50 PM
link   
It looks like a commercial object. It's earthenware, possibly Art Deco style. I agree that it's no older than 1800. Probably leftovers from an old homestead in the area.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: TXTriker
Not sure if this is the correct place to ask but we are looking for help identifying an object. A friend of my husband posted the picture on facebook asking if any one could identify an artifact the was revealed while plowing a field in the Lufkin, TX area. It appears to show a Spanish Conquistador. We did a google image search but nothing like it came up.

I know nothing about Texan or Spanish archaeology, but it looks just a little too good to be the real deal. However, send a photo along to any local university with an archaeological program and they should be able to help. And let us know what you find out...I have no problem in being proven wrong.

edit on 1-1-2016 by JohnnyCanuck because: yes

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I agree that it looks relatively modern. Any idea what material it's made of, and are there any other pictures of it from other angles?

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 05:53 PM
link   

See how clearly the eye is defined if that had been weathered in the ground it would not be so distinct especially because it is clay.

a side view too if possible.

edit on 1-1-2016 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: AdmireTheDistance

It looks to be terra cotta but it is only 2 1/2 inches tall.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 05:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: AdmireTheDistance
I agree that it looks relatively modern. Any idea what material it's made of, and are there any other pictures of it from other angles?

Add to my second post the comments that came with the picture. Said it feels like glass and appears to have been fired. I've sent a message to the person that made the original post to see if they have any other info or pictures.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Well if it had been fired it could hold up better to erosion. It would also be darker because in those days firing was done by wood fire, everything was placed right down in the fire.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 06:04 PM
link   
is it hollow? or solid?

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 06:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck

originally posted by: TXTriker

I know nothing about Texan or Spanish archaeology, but it looks just a little too good to be the real deal. However, send a photo along to any local university with an archaeological program and they should be able to help. And let us know what you find out...I have no problem in being proven wrong.

Just sent the picture and description to the Houston Archaeology Society.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 06:06 PM
link   

is it hollow? or solid?

Don't know. Hopefully the original poster will respond soon.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 06:07 PM
link   

there were small terra cotta colored glass bottles used for perfume if it is hollow and looks like there could have been a stopper in it, it could be one of those perfume bottles.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 06:12 PM
link   
If you ask the Mars pic guys, they'll say it's a rock.

I agree it looks modern if it were in the ground for centuries there would be less detail

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 06:13 PM
link   

there were small terra cotta colored glass bottles used for perfume if it is hollow and looks like there could have been a stopper in it, it could be one of those perfume bottles.

Someone else also suggested it might have been a medicine bottle.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Interesting, it could have been a family heirloom depicting what look's to me to be a 16th or 17th century figure, dutch, spanish or spanish
though as another has pointed out it may have a more modern origin.

Maybe a trade good or dropped off the back of a wagon, even modern trash thrown out or lost.

There are some expert's on this site whom may venture a guess but more images would be necessary for them, front, back, side's top and bottom in high resolution as well as an image of the location you found it and the depth if it was buried or if it was just laying on the ground etc.

As a non expert I would back ChesterJohn up on his opinion, it look's too pristine but then if a valued item like an heirloom it could have been well protected and stayed in good condition, even if it got there only recently it still may be an antique though I doubt it would be of any value other than a curio if it is unless the figure depicted has a name that is.

Though clay it look's almost like a piece of decorative plaster in it's style to me.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Because of it's size...I'm guessing it is a salesman sample of something people would order.
Miniatures of normally large and heavy household objects and furniture items were easier to carry around by door-to-door salesmen. They'd show the customer the miniature...take the order and payment...and ship the full-scale item.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Well if it had been fired it could hold up better to erosion. It would also be darker because in those days firing was done by wood fire, everything was placed right down in the fire.

Unless it was European as we had kiln firing for a very long time, only more primitive earthen ware was fired direct in the fire and even the romans had kiln firing so I suspect it was also present in the US from the early colonial period.

Then again History is not a straight line of A to B as many think, take the example of the Blast Furnace, we in the UK thought for a long time that we had given it to the world, in a sense we did with the industrial revolution but the Chinese were using extremely advanced water powered blast furnaces at least as much as 1200 years before us to make steel for there weapon's.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Just a note, I did not find it. It was supposedly found in the 1900s and we've since found it was near Kennard, TX. Someone who has it now put it on facebook and it trickled down to my husband's page. Just trying to assist in identification and because it is pretty cool looking.

Just in case, does anyone know if the Spanish spent any time in the area? Kennard is east of Crockett TX located in a national forest. This is deep East Texas. It is about halfway between Crockett and Lufkin.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join