It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Artifact Found Near Lufkin, TX - Need Help Identifying

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: SonofaSkunk
Your stated location of the "find" is approx 7 miles from Texas hwy 21. Hwy 21 follows the old Spanish El Camino Real or "King's Highway" through East Texas and down to San Antonio. Just my two cents.

That makes sense for the find then. Hoping to hear back from some of my inquiries next week when everyone returns from holiday.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: toddgonzo
a reply to: TXTriker

While I have no inkling as to the providence of the artifact in question, I do know that the Spanish were criss-crossing East Texas for close to 200 years before the War for Independence. There were missions and trade routes through out the area. If this were something from the time period, it is conceivable that it fell off one of the many "steamer" that rolled through the area. I would suggest contacting the Witte Museum or Brisco Museum of Western Art. Both are located in San Antonio, Texas and are well versed in artifacts through out the state and northern Mexico.

I've sent the picture to the Houston Archaeology Society. If I don't hear from them next week I will try both of your suggestions. Thanks.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Okeyd57

originally posted by: ChesterJohn
a reply to: AdmireTheDistance

It looks to be terra cotta but it is only 2 1/2 inches tall.

I wonder if there's a hole in the bottom. The reason I ask is because it looks like an ornate top to a flagpole, or something like that. It certainly looks like it fits on the top of something.

I don't know. Hoping for response to request for more pictures from the original poster.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Just wanted to add that it's not likely from the Spanish conquest era as what army of conquest kept little mementos of their own likenesses? So it's likely a mass produced item from more recent times... or at the least less than a century and a half old.
edit on 1/4/2016 by Baddogma because: added to the age guess to account for my own advancing age

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 08:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Baddogma
Just wanted to add that it's not likely from the Spanish conquest era as what army of conquest kept little mementos of their own likenesses? So it's likely a mass produced item from more recent times... or at the least less than a century and a half old.

Thanks. I tend to agree. Just curiosity run rampant on this one- and wanted to see if we could help find out anything about it.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 05:10 PM
link   
It looks to be a toy or souvenir trinket that is probably Mexican in origin. That's the only culture in the area likely to portray Conquistadores on anything, and the style looks very Mexican to me. It could still be very old, though?

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Well, no response from anyone I contacted. Will try the museums in San Antonio that were suggested. Will update if there is any response.

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Didn't this image and query originally come from Facebook? Have there been any more comments over there about what this object may be?

-dex

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 07:24 PM
link   

I originally posted this to Facebook. Once I figure out how, I will post other pics.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: [post=20212013]TXTriker[/p
edit on 10-1-2016 by panelx67 because: mistake

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: panelx67

I originally posted this to Facebook. Once I figure out how, I will post other pics.

Yes it came through Facebook to my husband's page. That post was from a woman in East Texas. Not sure where she got it unless you are her!

More pictures would be great!

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: DexterRiley

Didn't this image and query originally come from Facebook? Have there been any more comments over there about what this object may be?

-dex

No others have commented on mine or my husband's page. I sent a message to the person on the post that found its way to us but no answer - unless panelx67 is the woman in East Texas.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Here are the other two pics I have. I know the owner, so I will be putting it in my hands soon.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 08:30 PM
link   

edit on 10-1-2016 by panelx67 because: ju

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 09:24 PM
link   
That looks like a spanish era water vase. But being as tiny as it is its probably for a doll house or accessory for a childs toy doll. Doll houses were big money toys back in the 1800s.
edit on 31America/Chicagoxpm5816America/Chicago3128 by texasyeti because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 10:55 PM
link   
a reply to: panelx67
Great! When you get access let us have a peek at the bottom to see if there's a maker's mark there.
Having seen the top, I'm leaning toward the doll house/toy theory as well.
Interesting that the relief pictured on this side could be Santa (or St. Nick.)
I can also see evidence of damage that appears to be from a plow or shovel, which would fit the "found in a plowed field" scenario.

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: panelx67

That's fabulous. Thanks so much for following through! If I were a staff member I'd give you applause.
edit on 1/16/2016 by TXTriker because: fix

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Never received any response from my previous inquiries so I've now sent the contact form to both the Witte and Briscoe museums. Their sites do not list emails - only contact forms. We will see if they respond.

Apologies for not being in the thread sooner - working alot lately. Thanks to all for the contributions and to panelx67 for the additional photos. Can't wait to see what you find when you have it in hand.
edit on 1/16/2016 by TXTriker because: more

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 12:48 AM
link   
The beard is really heavy for a Conquistador.
Could that be a Nordic beard ?
Maybe early 1800's German Cabinet Artisans
that were abundant throughout Texas ?

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 12:51 PM
link   
see if you can find an XRF gun, and have it checked for composition...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join