It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schools 'Must Teach Britain Is Christian'.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 10:42 AM
link   
The Right wing is going off the deep end here in the UK.

news.sky.com...

Schools must teach that Britain is a Christian country, the Education Secretary has said.

Nicky Morgan also said non-religious beliefs need not be given "equal parity" with religious beliefs.

Under the new Department for Education guidelines, non-faith schools have to reflect the fact that British religious traditions "are in the main Christian" while taking into account teaching about other religions.

Sounds good, if it wasn't for the fact that Religious schools are everywhere in the UK.

Mrs Morgan is understood to have been concerned that humanists were using the court ruling to pressure schools into giving non-religious views more prominence.

A source close to Mrs Morgan said: "Nicky has had enough of campaign groups using the courts to try and force the teaching of atheism and humanism to kids against parent's wishes.

"That's why she's taking a stand to protect the right of schools to prioritise the teaching of Christianity and other major religions."

Interestingly enough this comes off the back of calls from a devout Catholic Scotsman who wants the UK to introduce Atheist Schools in accordance with diversity.

I'll be back with that link shortly.

Top Scots Catholic calls for creation of atheist schools - Daily Record
apple.news...
www.dailyrecord.co.uk...

edit on 29-12-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-12-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: Added Source Link.

edit on 29-12-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: Forgot main Source Link.

edit on 29-12-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: Spelling.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs
Charlie, this is a strange one. Atheism is not a faith (arguably, I would say some people treat it as being one in all but name), so why would it have a place in religious studies? An atheist school would be a non faith school - end of - if it classes itself as an atheist school then how does it 'teach' atheism? There is nothing to teach on the subject so faith would simply be ignored - fine, but that in itself doesn't actually mean anything. Well, actually it does. If the school doesn't provide pupils with some background on the faiths followed by billions globally (while in no way coercing them to follow them or alternatively seeking to ridicule them) then those pupils will IMHO leave school somewhat lesser informed on the society they live in.

Also, the guidelines from the department (as per the link provided) state:

"reflect the fact that the religious traditions in Great Britain are, in the main, Christian whilst taking account of the teaching and practices of the other principal religions represented in Great Britain".

so if that is stating the fact that currently Christianity is the main UK religion at the moment, but giving time to other religions in the UK - is there an issue? Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting that fundamental creationism has a place in UK state schools or anything like that, but at the same time, evolution would and should be covered in science classes. I'm not sure what the hoo ha is about this.

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 11:18 AM
link   
From your Source.

Nicky Morgan also said non-religious beliefs need not be given "equal parity" with religious beliefs.
What are “non-religious beliefs”? One might think science or facts but those are not “beliefs”. I get the feeling there is a big literal misunderstanding here.

Under the new Department for Education guidelines, non-faith schools have to reflect the fact that British religious traditions "are in the main Christian" while taking into account teaching about other religions.
”Non-faith schools”? Do they mean science based or atheists? The contradiction I see here is fact based vs faith. It appears from this article that this is not a well understood distinction.
What good is a religious education without a study of other religions? I feel that it is the difference between an education and indoctrination.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   
All I can say is thank goodness I don't have kids.

Screw the world, don't care, with maybe twenty years left on this ball of dirt it's destruction can't come soon enough for me.

lol

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I shall clarify that it is the "need not be given equal parity" part I intended to focus on.

This country is lock step in favour of equal representation & rights...

Nicky Moron seems to think her faith is more equal than everything else.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 11:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
I shall clarify that it is the "need not be given equal parity" part I intended to focus on.

This country is lock step in favour of equal representation & rights...

It doesn't say that, have you read the link I posted? This is because there was an appeal that atheism should be given equal footing in religious studies - that's actually an oxymoron. I expected better of you Charlie.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Oh what a tangled web we weave

When first we practice to deceive.

Next they will be forcing schools to teach about the religion of the FSM and Luciferianism.

This was the game plan all along, and all of those major religion supporters, you fought your way right into their hands.

Wait until your children come home in black cloaks and writing Hail Lucifer in some black magic sigils, as their writing assignment. You will be able to pat yourself on the back, after all everyone and everything is right and equal.

You all win.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: uncommitted

Yes it does, in the second line of the 1st excerpt.

Read the link again.

Even your own link uses the title "Atheism need not be given "equal air time"...

That's exactly what it says.
edit on 29-12-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 11:46 AM
link   
The panic in Whitehall is telling and silly comments like this will only add to the panic.

The truth is Britain has become more secular simply because we have seen the way priests and other clergymen have behaved. It's hypocrisy at its finest and we can no longer be frightened by the threat of Hell, if these holy men can behave in such abhorrent ways.

I work in vocational training and we are subject to OFSTED inspections. As part of the inspection framework, we have to ensure that British values are embedded in all aspects of our training. As we are delivering predominantly construction training, I suggested that we teach all apprentices to turn up a hour late, make copious amounts of tea, learn how to shake your head and tut tut tut, pointing to the fact that whoever completed the previous must have been a cowboy and it's going to cost a arm and a leg to rectify, the working day should end at 3.00 p.m ensuring you leave as much mess lying around as possible.

All this talk is B.S, they do not know what to do about the radicalisation of Islam or how to deal with the radicalisation of right wing beliefs. It's now down to everybody else to try to prevent it, whilst they still wage war on people of the Islamic faith and do little to prevent the likes of EDL from spouting garbage.

You really could not make it up.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Maybe it should be taken in a historic manner . someone takes a poll and the numbers are given at any particular time and it is recorded that at this certain point in time people thought this or did that . There is a notion that the first settlers t the new world were spreading the word of God to the heathen Indians so in a historical sense that could have been true to some .

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 11:53 AM
link   
As well as being home to the Church of England, we are also the birth place of Charles Darwin and Richard Attenborough. Quite a pluralistic nation when it comes to belief. It's inevitable that we are bound to be on the secular side of things these days

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Interestingly enough this comes off the back of calls from a devout Catholic Scotsman who wants the UK to introduce Atheist Schools in accordance with diversity.

I think that's the sensible way forward.

Parents will still do their best to brainwash their kids with their own peculiar slant on reality, but it should have no place in state education.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Out of curiosity, do you think there should be a christian country? Do you think any country should be a Muslim country?

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheBulk

Out of curiosity, do you think there should be a christian country? Do you think any country should be a Muslim country?

Haven't you noticed....

There are Christian countries and Muslim countries....seems to be working out ok

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: CJCrawley
This is all so contrived.

Why is it that no one seems to see the little boxes they are pushing us all into.

Did everyone just wake yesterday, or am I actually standing in the Outer Limits of the Twilight Zone.

Did people have their minds erased and filled in with a bunch of bogus bull crap that is being pawned off as the new way and proper way of thinking?

Has everyone been brainwashed to believe the lives they lived as they were growing up, were so oppressive and flawed that you not only have to hate were you came from, but you have to try to change who you are, and do penance at the feet of any person or groups of persons, that may have ever suffered, because of an act or deed that was committed by anyone that you may share a genetic connection with, regardless of how minute or how far removed?

Stop!

Think about it. Who does this madness benefit?

Stop being got damned Zombies, stop doing stupid shiite, because someone told you it was cool, or it makes you look smart, or it is your social duty.

You are not being smart, you are being used to your own detriment, and you are destroying any hope of a normal future.

Just stop!

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Sure, we built an empire from theivery, exhibit the stolen remnants of other civilisations in our museums, we're suspicious of foreigners, bomb the crap out of everyone that annoys us, constantly praise ww2 for being the 'good' war that we won, step over the homeless and treat the poor like pariahs while the chief monkey wears a special hat made from stolen diamonds and sits on a gold throne where nobody is allowed to make eye contact, she even wears gloves to touch her subjects because everybody else is so despicable filthy.

Jesus would be so proud.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I see no problem with them doing this. It is there country after all. I don't think that they should bash the people with other faiths but they can promote Christianity if they want.

Separation of church and state is an American thing and that has gone way overboard now, causing trickle down effects in our society from going too far with the separation.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   

a reply to: uncommitted

Yes it does, in the second line of the 1st excerpt.

Read the link again.

Even your own link uses the title "Atheism need not be given "equal air time"...

That's exactly what it says.

And is Atheism a faith? Yes or no, in religious studies why would atheism be given equal air time when it's not a religion? Sheesh, I'm really losing the grip on some of the more shallow things people choose to get upset about on here. You would be happy for fundamental Creationism to be given equal air time in a science class then, yes? If not, then you are a hypocrite to your own thought path.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Why is this position "right wing"?

The fact is that Britain has Christian roots and these define the approach to (say) justice, as well as myriad other cultural facets. Although the UK is largely secular, the connection with the past cannot be compromised. For example, compromising our justice system, cultural tolerance, or the rights of women to satiate the demands of those who do not recognise the cultural history of the nation and want to impose their own (narrow) worldview.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Essentially, this is about turning the clock back a bit.
For the benefit of American members, we should explain that a weekly lesson of "religious education" is a legal requirement in state schools, going back to the 1945 Education Act.
Within my own school career, the label evolved through BK (Biblical Knowledge), RK (Religious Knowledge), RI (Religious Instruction) into the present standard RE.
But whatever the abbreviation, it was, in those days, assumed to be the Christian religion that was being taught. Jewish pupils could claim exemption and stay out of the morning assemblies, which were also religious.
Obviously under modern conditions this gets stretched into comparative religion, but if the department is only insisting that the lessons should at least be about some kind of religion, that is simply preserving something of the original object of the exercise.

edit on 29-12-2015 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join