It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Felons Can't Vote & Why They Should

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
It has been my opinion for many years, that if you are a non-violent felon, and have done your time. You get your rights back. ALL of them. It'll never happen of course, because our system prefers to punish felons perpetually. Is it any wonder many end up homeless or dead after their release?

I agree,

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   
In Tennessee, a person convicted of a felony can also vote if they ask the state to reinstate their voting rights. I know this to be fact because I'm kin to a person that done just this. He votes in every election that he can, simply to exercise the right. He and I differ on opinion of how effective and important your vote is but that's another thread.

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 12:29 PM
link   
If they cannot vote, then prison populations should not be used when determining up congressional districts or included in the population counts of such.

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cumingsj
You don't have to apply in every state. States like Indiana give them back automatically. I lived there for a few years before I applied to have mine restored in VA. I had the rights to vote,serve jury duty,sale alcohol and the other BS that doesn't really matter This was 2 years ago when I lived there.
Below is a map to the voting right restoration. The dark blue,light blue and yellow are also the states in which almost all restore rights once released from probation & paroles. Orange state you must apply for restoration and red you are basically #ed for life if you stay there. Most of the states outside the ones in blue won't expunge or seal your record ever. I'm not sure when you had to go through this but many of the laws have changed over the past year or 2
www.aclu.org... .a reply to: theySeeme

I find it interesting, and suspicious, that the two key swing states, Iowa & Florida, permanently yank a felon's voting rights. I used to live in Florida, I already knew they did that there (it's been a hot-button issue for years) but I didn't know Iowa was as low-brow.

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: JesseVentura

Why Felons Can't Vote & Why They Should

The applied term of 'felon' is one that needs to be dispersed and then subdivided because violent felonies and nonviolent felonies have no business being in the same breath.

Examples:
Felony Person One: Murderer
Felony Person Two: Bulk sale of Marijuana

Now, this is not to suggest that those who are multi-convicts of both should be given a break but our nation is overflowing with otherwise innocent people who got busted for crimes that may someday not even be a crime.

Growing up as a hippie, I saw a lot of friends fall for nothing more than possession charges. Since then, their lives have nose dived because when released, they were no different to the world than someone who may have robbed a store or committed a violent crime.

It's something that, IMESHO, deserves far, far more attention than it has ever gotten or will likely ever receive.

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 12:29 AM
link   
I'm new here. But i know how informative you are. Thanks for accepting my request

buy dissertation online

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 12:33 AM
link   
I'd like to know why Felons can't legally Vote, being Legal Americans, right?

But why some Politicians want to give the freedom to Vote to Illegal Aliens?

Can someone enlighten me on this one please?

..Who was it that said /made it legal for illegal aliens to drive a car in the USA?

Thankyou
edit on 2/6/2016 by awareness10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Felons who do their time and probation period in PA are allowed to vote. We just can't serve jury duty anymore. Which sucks because I know about jury nullification now and could have freed a rightfully innocent person on pot charges.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Funny how in some states felons can NOT vote EVER, like in FL...
Yet in the SAME STATE, illegals ARE allowed to vote...

Something is VERY wrong with that

BTW, I'm a felon too, and I CAN vote where i am at, and do so EVERY ELECTION

TRUMP 2016

posted on Mar, 12 2016 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: JesseVentura
Why can convicted felons run for office if they can't vote? Because all politicians are crooks! Myself and my Vigilant Producer Alex Logan investigate the origins of felon voting rights, and why many states disenfranchise ex-convicts. Do you think felons should be allowed to vote? Sound off on Twitter @GovJVentura

Felons can vote...

womp womp

posted on Mar, 12 2016 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: MrPlow

Ayyep.

Can you vote if you have a felony?
Individuals convicted of a felony are ineligible to vote while incarcerated and on parole. Voting rights are automatically restored upon completion of parole, and people on probation can vote. Ex-offenders should re-register to vote.

www.nonprofitvote.org...

www.aclu.org...
The ACLU link has a decent map listing it by each state.

edit on 12-3-2016 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2016 @ 01:13 PM
link   
all but the worst of the worst should be able to earn there way back to a normal societal status.

The fact we banish people for life to the underbelly of our society does not speak well of us at all.

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 12:40 AM
link   
yep

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 02:11 AM
link   
While I support the right of any free America citizen and applaud any effort at giving former prisoners that right, I am pretty sure if you register to vote they don't do a background check and your vote will most likely be accepted and counted without them even knowing.

That said, most felons are not interested in which of two of the biggest schmucks in the country, state or city and wouldn't stand in line like a dufus for an hour to vote for some other dufus so that dufus can get a job where he can take bribes and dole out favors and live a relatively pomp life. They don't care about voting and never will unless someone they know is running. Politicians are part of the same government that incarcerated them no matter what level or branch. To them government is government and they ain't voting anyway.

Presidential elections are a show.

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 02:03 AM
link   
this is a most terrible situations for felons. They are suffering many problems. It is the topic which must discuss.

Custom Term Paper Writing Service

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 02:43 AM
link   
felons must be come forward in our society. We will have to do some measures for this.
Custom term paper writing service

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I'm an ex-con, but I'm much more concerned with for-profit prisons and my right to own a firearm. Voting is pointless. It hasn't meant a thing since 1962.
edit on 11-17-2016 by jaymp because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Felons should not be allowed to walk the streets, it should be a label for incarceration that when finished should be the end of it, either laws deter criminals and punish them or they are simply meant to enslave them for a lifetime.

Felons aren't given the right to vote due to ethnicity and social justice giving by Democrats that would create a lifetime voting base in the millions.

edit on 22-11-2016 by circuitsports because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: JesseVentura

You need to Explain a few things Jesse, come back and motivate us, we kinda need that right now.

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Then wake up.

I'm watching ... Prove me wrong.
edit on 22-12-2016 by JesusXst because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join