It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ted Cruz Blasts Washington Post Cartoon of Daughters as Monkeys

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

Whereas the artist may loose income over his "shark jumping" the primary purpose of a newspaper, or any periodical for that matter, is to sell the news or relevant topical information. I'd bet you my lunch no subscription was cancelled on account of that cartoon. I'll go further and bet that cartoon has no relevance in the question of purchasing the next issue. The next limb I'm going out on is to remind the viewers at home the whole point of a political cartoon is to criticize, make fun of, and/or draw attention to a particular idea. The matter of tact or taste is a non-issue. Do I think its cool to pick on children? Of course not, however I will certainly defend the option to do so. Nobody yelled fire in a crowded theater. Nobody got trampled to death. Freedom of speech.
edit on 23-12-2015 by ApparentlyStupid because: spelling

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Shes pretty dammmm hot too; and his daughter????

absolutely beautiful; I dont know many multi-kaggilianaires that are not drop down gorgeous tho~

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: ReadLeader
My question fellow ATS'ers. Did they go too far this time? Are spouses and children really off limits?

Spouses and children haven't been off limits for a very long time. If Ted Cruz is going to use his daughters, other people will, too.

Dear Ted Cruz, If you're going to play in the big leagues, grow a thinker skin and stop counting on your SJWs to give you money just because you got your little feelings hurt! Because if you're so terribly "offended" at this cartoon, you don't have the balls to be president.

originally posted by: PresidentCamacho
Just imagine the outrage if this was Obama's daughters.

Oh, yes! Remember the outrage about these? Neither do I...

edit on 12/23/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

YOU NAILED IT!!!!!!!!!

S P O T O N ! ! ! ! ! ! !

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ghost147
I don't see anything wrong with it. The Cartoon was drawn because Ted Cruz 'uses his children as props', which most certainly is true.

The attack had nothing to do with his children, really, it was all about Ted's obsessive need to use them for his gain.

Yet Obama's kids were strictly off-limits to the press, even when he was pimping them out as props far longer and harder than Cruz.

When Hillary gets her grandchild (conveniently timed for the next election as many point out) you can guarantee the kid will be plastered all over the press as Hillary sells herself as the "wise grandmother that America desperately needs". I bet that kid will be "off limits" as well.

That is the issue.

Personally, I believe the kids shouldn't become "fair game" just because their parents made a decision. I don't blame any candidate from either side for wanting to paint themselves as a wholesome family with smiling kids and a pretty wife (or Michelle Obama), but I don't think it should put a target on the kids as a result.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Which one of those depicts the children as animals?

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: EvillerBob

What's this "off-limits" nonsense? We have free speech in this country. Nothing is ever "off-limits". Clearly BenevolentHeretic's post directly above yours contradicts everything you just said there. Using Obama's children in a political cartoon was most certainly NOT off-limits.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Which one of those depicted his children as animals?

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: raymundoko

Which one of those depicted his children as animals?

Irrelevant. The point is that Obama's children clearly weren't off limits. I'm not defending the cartoon in the OP either. Just stating facts. So I'm not going to play this petty back and forth game of who is being worse than the other. The fact is, that both sides stoop to this below the belt "attack their children" tactic and you and I both know it regardless of how severely they insult the children or not.
edit on 23-12-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I guess you have seen it all when a Republican is complaining about people exercising their "Freedom of Speech".

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 11:09 AM
link   
It's very much in bad taste to slam someone's daughters but in politics I don't think anything is truly off limits.

Blackmail,murder,threats,bribes are all fair game in politics just don't get caught.

a reply to: ReadLeader

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: PresidentCamacho
a reply to: ReadLeader

Just imagine the outrage if this was Obama's daughters.

But because of Cruz's ethnicity and his political party the SJW's who would go nuts over this kind of stuff just brush it off.

I think the kids of these politicians should be off-limits no matter who it is. Leave the kids out of it.

As far as his ethnicity, I don;t see how that is relevant. He's half white and half Cuban.

So what?

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 11:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: EvillerBob

What's this "off-limits" nonsense? We have free speech in this country. Nothing is ever "off-limits". Clearly BenevolentHeretic's post directly above yours contradicts everything you just said there. Using Obama's children in a political cartoon was most certainly NOT off-limits.

I believe it should be a matter of respect that politicians and media leave the kids out of it. We cannot stop free-speech, but we can choose to be above that sort of tactic.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
The fact is, that both sides stoop to this below the belt "attack their children" tactic and you and I both know it regardless of how severely they insult the children or not.

So true! Presidents have used their children, wives (and pets) to prop up their popularity forever! And they've also been offended by other people using their families as well. It goes BOTH WAYS. BOTH SIDES use the tactic. BOTH SIDES become offended. BOTH SIDES apologize and we all carry on.

To act like this is a one-sided deal is just ignorant, no matter which side you're on.

By the way, Hillary's campaign will use every opportunity to make people's comments out to be sexist. She will USE her gender (as she did in 2008), Jeb will USE his wife's race, Donald Trump will USE his beautiful wife and daughter and Ted Cruz USES his children. If you're going to react with righteous indignation every time the media uses the same tactic, then hopefully, your skin will be toughened up by election.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Not one of those cartoons portrays Obama's daughters as monkeys.

Nice try though.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 11:26 AM
link   

I think the outrage stems, not from the cartoonist having Cruz's children drawn into the bit,...but from the fact that they were portrayed as panhandling chimps.

Specifics matter.
edit on 23-12-2015 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   

If you think those cartoons, one of them actually putting his kid in a hilariously good light of being smarter than all of congress, are similar to depicting Cruz's as two monkeys on a leash, your bias is untucked.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
Specifics matter.

Yeah, when you're playing victim, every specific matters. And for best results, move the goalposts around as often as possible.

Political cartoons are created to send a MESSAGE. The message isn't that Ted Cruz's children are monkeys. It's that Ted Cruz USES them for his own gain.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: ReadLeader
Ted Cruz Blasts Washington Post Cartoon of Daughters as Monkeys

Well, looks like it's going to be a rough run and we have not even heard the ready, on your mark,......

The cartoon is questionable as far as ethics are concerned. My question fellow ATS'ers. Did they go too far this time? Are spouses and children really off limits?

Who is going g to need thick skin moving forward? It's getting ugly

linker

While the monkey analogy is a bit much, Cruz is the one who used his children for political motivation first. He holds responsiblity for injecting them into the race.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: ApparentlyStupid

Do I think its cool to pick on children? Of course not, however I will certainly defend the option to do so. Nobody yelled fire in a crowded theater. Nobody got trampled to death. Freedom of speech.

And do you defend THIS?:

thesocietypages.org...

...THIS?:

3.bp.blogspot.com...

...or THIS?:

media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join