It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing Tiny Houses/Small Houses. Would you downsize? [PIC HEAVY]

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 05:15 AM
link   
My wife introduced me to tiny homes (under 400 sq/f / 32 sq/m) and small homes (between 400 sq/f / 32 sq/m - 1,000 square feet 93 sq/m) several years before we had gotten married. Ever since then, we've both wanted to aim towards downsizing our living space and living in a smaller, more energy conscious home.

The change will me enormous, and so we've began to change the way we live now in order to prepare for less space, as well as to prepare for a disconnection from city energy/water/waste management.

I've had the chance to talk with other members, here on ATS, that have already taken the leap to go off-grid, and reduce their homes, and have gained a lot of knowledge from them. For many people, this lifestyle can be viewed as unnecessary, and often outright mad - and it is perfectly reasonable for them to feel. For others, it's a form of freedom, freedom from debt, a reduction in bills, and a feel for a more humble/simplistic way of living.

Nevertheless, it's great to learn about new things, so hopefully this topic is a bit of an inspiration for others to contemplate the conditions they are currently living in, and perhaps even an opening of a door towards a different future.

Here are some fantastically built tiny/small homes around the world.

(Mike Basich) A Pro Snowboarder's Unbelievable Tiny Mountain Home

400 sq/f cabin/home that can be built for $4000

550 sq/f - 800 sq/f FabCab home

350 Sq/f Built-On-Stilts home

140 sq/f Tiny Tack House

300 Sq/f Forest Home

575 sq/f Pre-Cut Cabin

400 Sq/F Rustic Home

293 sq/f Shelter-Wise Homes

So, would you ever consider living in one of these tiny/small homes? If you do already, how long have you been living in one? And what would you suggest to others who want to pursue such a goal?

Thanks for reading! If you have found some pictures/videos of an amazing Tiny Home, please feel free to share it!

edit on 23/12/15 by Ghost147 because: Fixed link

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Hi there, im currently building a tiny house. I have loved the idea for about 6 years an adapted some other designs to suit my needs.
Its 9ft 6ins wide
X
12 long and 10ft tall
I will post pics as soon as I can

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 05:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

They all look lovely just one think strikes me... where as I have already

downsized from a semi to a bungalow many years ago, and so glad I did.

With those lovely small homes you linked .... what happens as when

you age and get less mobile, arthritic etc. however will you manage the

small precarious ladders/stairs?

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 05:34 AM
link   

I have toyed with the idea for a good few years now, myself and mrsnonspecific lived in a converted van for 6 months so I have had some expereience living in confined spaces!

The main issue is downsizing all of your possesions, it is suprising how much "stuff" you accumulate over the years.

The more I think about it the less inclined I am to go ahead with it, I have become a slave to convention

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Some of these houses are big... and I thought I was living in a tiny house lol..

Best of luck with your move towards it, i'm gonna do it properly in a few years as well... And live a peaceful life.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 05:52 AM
link   

My parents traveled/lived in a camper for about 25 years. When I left home at 15, they put the old homestead up for sale and hit the road. They loved it!
The old man and I have those dreams as well...been planning it for some time.

As soon as the kiddos leave, we're outta here...

It is the house on wheels that appeals to my "gypsy" nature.

I am hopeful that we can get used to the tiny space. We like being outdoors so I hope that will help with the "being on top of each other" thing. We will follow the weather patterns...

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 05:53 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

When Americans think of 'small houses,' they're describing the average size in the UK! They're getting even smaller with the new build market being focused on very small footprints to maximise number of properties per acre. I've laid flooring in 'quarter houses' that don't have space for much more than a wardrobe. That's in the NW too, not even London. Crazy stuff.

This is from 2009 as a comparison to other nations.

I feel sorry for people just starting out on the property ladder. Small buildings on huge estates and many don't own the land their houses are built on anymore. Can you believe the day would come when buying a house doesn't include the land? It's becoming standard.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 05:58 AM
link   

part of the problem is there are minimum dimensions required for something to be considered a "Dwelling" so because of that legally some of these places aren't fit to live in according to the law

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Lived in a caravan (trailer home) on a property in a temperate rain forest for a few years, then moved to a 3 bedroom home in the middle of a semi arid large rural city... just felt stupid, since I only ever used the bathroom, kitchen and one other room.

Now I'm living with my little brother in a upper class inner city suburb in some tiny unit... The space is just perfect really, its just the surrounding area that is far to congested.

Within the next year I'm planning on buying a large patch of land, maybe 5, 10 minutes or so from the outer suburbs... Then all I need is a caravan, water tank , septic tank and access to the electricity grid, then I'll be set.

Peace.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 06:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa
Lived in a caravan (trailer home) on a property in a temperate rain forest for a few years, then moved to a 3 bedroom home in the middle of a semi arid large rural city... just felt stupid, since I only ever used the bathroom, kitchen and one other room.

Now I'm living with my little brother in a upper class inner city suburb in some tiny unit... The space is just perfect really, its just the surrounding area that is far to congested.

Within the next year I'm planning on buying a large patch of land, maybe 5, 10 minutes or so from the outer suburbs... Then all I need is a caravan, water tank , septic tank and access to the electricity grid, then I'll be set.

Peace.

Is it legal to just live in a caravan in your counrty then? Here in the UK you are sadly not allwed to do that due to planning laws.

I know plenty of people that have done it and been evicted from there own land!

A mate of mine has built a secret house on his land from salvaged and locally sourced materials, he is off grid and harming noone yet if discovered they will most likely force him to knock it down and become homeless...

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Me and the Mrs have a camper - great way to live isn't it.

We were planning on living in one next year to save for a house deposit - but instead we're selling the van and getting a couple of those help to buy ISAs - cheers Cameron/Osbourne.

(I'm sure you wanted to know all that).
edit on 23-12-2015 by and14263 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 06:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: and14263

Me and the Mrs have a camper - great way to live isn't it.

We were planning on living in one next year to save for a house deposit - but instead we're selling the van and getting a couple of those help to buy ISAs - cheers Cameron.

(I'm sure you wanted to know all that).

I used to love it but now I am not so sure, I was working away again this summer, living in a tent, great outdoors and back to basics.

All I wanted to do was to go home to my central heating, tumble dryer, wifi, double bed ect.

I am getting old and have turned to the darkside of consumerism and comfort

You should get out of the rental market asap if you can as they are predicting an increase of over 25% in the next five years in the private rental market. It's too late for me so will just have to suck it up.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 06:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: errorcode
Hi there, im currently building a tiny house. I have loved the idea for about 6 years an adapted some other designs to suit my needs.
Its 9ft 6ins wide
X
12 long and 10ft tall
I will post pics as soon as I can

That would be fantastic! Please do post your pictures. I'd love to see them.

May I ask what climate you live in?

originally posted by: eletheia
what happens as when you age and get less mobile, arthritic etc. however will you manage the small precarious ladders/stairs?

Very good question. One I have contemplated, myself. As you can see in the graph at the top of the OP, the majority of tiny-home owners are over 50. I would say that you are very much correct in the fact that age can determine the design of the home. Fortunately, they do not cost a lot to build; so you could simply build another, or of course, plan ahead.

There are a number of tiny homes that do not have a loft at all, or any stairs, but instead make use of space-conscious furniture (such as Murphy beds and pull-out beds)

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 06:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

part of the problem is there are minimum dimensions required for something to be considered a "Dwelling" so because of that legally some of these places aren't fit to live in according to the law

Absolutely true. It's why many people who go with this choice place the house on wheels in order for it to technically be classified as an RV. There are certainly many hurdles a person would need to jump in order to live in a small house.

Of course, it is extremely dependent upon your location, as zoning laws tend to fluctuate dramatically from state/province/territory/city.

It's definitely something to research before deciding to make the move

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Is it legal to just live in a caravan in your counrty then? Here in the UK you are sadly not allwed to do that due to planning laws.

I suppose it all has to do with the local council regulations of that particular area... But obviously being such a small population and having such a large land mass, its really not hard to find a property where you can basically do whatever you want and no ones going to bother you, either way.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Very cool - I have seen them on wheels before but never knew that that classified it as an RV, makes sense though!

This place has some really cool ones - some as low as like $11,000, already to go on a trailer!

jamaicacottageshop.com...

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Here's the one on a trailer already:

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 07:13 AM
link   
A friend of mine actually has one. It's a little cabin. It's nice.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 07:22 AM
link   

I've had my eye on one for a couple of years. There is a dealer in my city. They call them tiny mansions here. I could totally sell my house (all the lawn eqipment, and stuff that sits there) and live in one.

I am sure insuring one would not be too bad. I have learned over the years "less is more! !

Nice find Ghost

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 07:42 AM
link   
More proof the American dream is over.

Here young generation coming up, how do you feel about living in a garage?

Who knows, it probably is better than a struggle mansion, you know big house, with nothing in it at all ever.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join