It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homicides mount, pushing Baltimore to second highest total in city history

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

You know I've been wondering about your sources for a while now, but I just realized you are posting information from the Heritage Foundation. The same group of cronies that funded bad science to try to discount the evidence that smoking causes cancer. I don't believe a word from that source, mate. You couldn't have found a more biased source if you tried.
edit on 23-12-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

You know I've been wondering about your sources for a while now, but I just realized you are posting information from the Heritage Foundation. The same group of cronies that funded bad science to try to discount the evidence that smoking causes cancer. I don't believe a word from that source, mate. You couldn't have found a more biased source if you tried.

Never fails. If you can't deconstruct the data or the logic, you attack the source. Please give us a list of source acceptable to progressives? A lot of that data comes from the CDC directly.

Do you have a source that refutes that welfare policies encourage single parenting?

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 10:41 AM
link   

What if your parents spend all their spare time yelling at each other?

As opposed to yelling at you?

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

Never fails. If you can't deconstruct the data or the logic, you attack the source. Please give us a list of source acceptable to progressives? A lot of that data comes from the CDC directly.

Actually of the nine sources used on that page, not a single one is from the CDC. So what are YOU talking about?

[1] See Robert Rector, “Marriage: America’s Greatest Weapon Against Child Poverty,” Heritage Foundation Special Report No. 117, September 5, 2012, www.heritage.org...

[2] Ibid.

[3] Chris Coughlin and Samuel Vuchinich, “Family Experience in Preadolescence and the Development of Male Delinquency,” Journal of Marriage and Family, Vol. 58, No. 2 (May 1996), pp. 491–501.

[4] Deborah A. Dawson, “Family Structure and Children’s Health and Well-Being: Data from the 1988 National Health Interview Survey on Child Health,” Journal of Marriage and Family, Vol. 53, No. 3 (August 1991), pp. 573–584.

[5] Wendy D. Manning and Kathleen A. Lamb, “Adolescent Well-Being in Cohabiting, Married, and Single-Parent Families,” Journal of Marriage and Family, Vol. 65, No. 4 (November 2003), pp. 876–893. Data from Add Health study. See also Dawson, “Family Structure and Children’s Health and Well-Being.”

[6] Timothy Biblarz and Greg Gottainer, “Family Structure and Children’s Success: A Comparison of Widowed and Divorced Single-Mother Families,” Journal of Marriage and Family, Vol. 62 (May 2000), pp. 533–548.

[7] Cynthia C. Harper and Sara S. McLanahan, “Father Absence and Youth Incarceration,” Journal of Research on Adolescence, Vol. 14, No. 3 (September 2004), pp. 369–397. The data are from National Longitudinal Study of Youth, the 1979 cohort (NYLS79).

[8] Martha S. Hill, Wei-Jun J. Yeung, and Greg J. Duncan, “Childhood Family Structure and Young Adult Behaviors,” Journal of Population Economics, Vol. 14, No. 2 (2001), pp. 271–299.

[9] The EITC for a married couple with two children provides a refundable benefit equaling 40 percent of the couple’s earnings for earnings up to $13,340 per year. As a couple’s earnings rise above $23,260, the EITC benefit is phased downward. The anti-marriage incentives in the EITC and welfare in general could be reduced by raising the income point at which the EITC for married couples begins to phase down.

I find it funny that their VERY first source is another heritage.org page. Wow...

Do you have a source that refutes that welfare policies encourage single parenting?

How about an ACTUAL study, not what a conservative think tank thinks?
Study

Beware, you are going to actually have to READ the study and not just let some political pundit or conservative think tank tell you what to think.

edit on 23-12-2015 by Krazysh0t because: not sure why the link isn't working...

edit on 23-12-2015 by Krazysh0t because: fixed the link

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

My earlier response to you was CDC data in regards to out of wedlock birth rates. I even linked directly to the CDC.

Let me help you focus.

Your original post asked about the Baltimore murder rate. I think we both agree that it is out of control.

Do you agree that this is largely a black male problem? The vast majority of both victims and assailants are black, correct? In most big cities, this is a documented fact.

What is it about inner city blacks that makes us so violent towards one another?

I'd love to hear your theory.

Drugs?

Poverty?

Cultural?

Schools?

Racism?

Wage Inequality?

Climate Change?

Please enlighten me? This black guy wants to know...

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   

I think that there is a lack of education and understanding in trying to identify problems and fix them. I think that people are more focused on assuming what is wrong with these cities, then they try to build evidence to support that theory (instead of building a theory around the evidence), then they proceed to "fix" that problem. Then everyone acts shocked when not only the problem DOESN'T go away, but new problems linked to that "fix" pop up. So instead of admitting that we may have taken the wrong course of action initially, we double down on the stupidity and try to "fix" the NEW problems with additional fixes using the same flawed method I described above.

This issue isn't just a local issue either. It is systemic throughout the local, state, and federal levels.

For example, what you've identified as the problem. Single parent households. Instead of looking at all angles or the information I've provided that shows that things aren't as simple as you are making them, you double down on your rhetoric and insist over and over again that we need to push for two parent households (btw, Baltimore already does this, but that is irrelevant with what I'm saying right now). That's not how you get to the root of a problem though, and thus nothing ever gets fixed. Though things that DO work break rather easily when you use this idiotic approach to fixing things.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 03:00 PM
link   

What's the difference between a live in boyfriend and being married? Other than the tax breaks and legal privileges?

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

What's the difference between a live in boyfriend and being married? Other than the tax breaks and legal privileges?

There is an old saying, why pay for the cow when the milk is free? Live in boyfriend is not the same as being married.

What typically happens is that the child is unexpected. They are not using protection and oooops. Hoodrat gets preggers. Baby daddy makes a feeble attempt at making it work, but eventually the "relationship" falls apart. Baby daddy moves on.

Hoodrat is stuck with kid. Winds up living in the bad side of town. Sometimes grandparents step in, but nowadays, the grandparents are really just 40 year old hoodrats with the same bad decision making skills. Kid goes to crappy school. Never really learns anything. Winds up hanging out on the block. By 13 or 14, they are a certified thug. They then get their hoodrat girl pregnant by 17...

Wash and repeat.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   

I guess no one wants to actually discuss the news article in my OP and just wants to hijack the thread to complain about random political partisan nonsense.

Hahaha this reminds me of the stuff you post on the religious threads.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Ya don't say... So all your blatant stereotypes aside I got this article:
The Marriage Problem: Why Many Are Choosing Cohabitation Instead

One reason for this increased interest in cohabitation over marriage may not be the fear of the union itself, so much as a concern for the possibility of its collapse. In other words, it may be the looming prospect of divorce that's driving more people to choose the question "Will you move in with me?" over "Will you marry me?"

The bottom line is that both sexes, and particularly people who are less financially stable, are more reluctant to get married than they were a few decades ago. There are very real hardships associated with divorce, and the current economic climate makes them scarier than they might be in easier times.

PS: The reasons outlined in this article align why -I- don't ever want to get married. Divorce is too expensive and it is just easier to live together with someone.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join