It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Game Of Thrones Season 6 To Be Watered Down

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 06:36 PM
link   
The books are far more violent against women. George RR Martin has indicated in interviews that he tried to portray REAL behaviors towards women as they existed in the middle ages.

Yes, the rape is brutal....but considering we have really serious issues with systematic rape and sex slavery going on in the world today, why gloss over the issue for the sensitivity of the PC? This isn't just happening in ISIS held territory....look at India.

The writers can choose to glorify it...or show the real damage it can do and justice as a response. But don't just sweep it under the carpet and act like it doesn't happen....fiction or not.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: CIAGypsy

Ah yes, I'm sure the writers who were completely off-novel with their idea of underage rape were trying to convey some type of social message to us viewers.

Nailed it.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 07:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: zazzafrazz
Actually the Sansa Rape scene is NOT in the book.
Nor did she marry the jerk.

I was wondering that.

I was asking myself when GoT the TV show had gotten past the books because I remember Sansa being married to Tyrion, but he wasn't able to take it to bedding her and then she was taken out of King's Landing by Littlefinger.

There was no raping, but I hadn't actually gotten to Dance with Dragons yet because I prefer to read it with its companion book ... whenever that comes out so I can get all the story for all the characters at one reading.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

In the books it was Jeyne Poole and what he did to her there was much worse than the Sansa rape scene.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

It's been a while since I've been through the series. It's on my list to to-dos. I'll need to read it start to finish before I add on Dance of Dragons (of? with? I forget) and whatever the one after that one is so I can get the whole story in context and connected.

Right now I'm working my way through the third volume in Brent Weeks' 'Lightbringer' series. It's another one I'm going to have to work my way through again before adding the fourth book. It's a good thing I love to read or else I'd never make it with my liking for complex storylines that tend to top out between 500 and 1,000 pages.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 07:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
It's been a while since I've been through the series. It's on my list to to-dos. I'll need to read it start to finish before I add on Dance of Dragons (of? with? I forget) and whatever the one after that one is so I can get the whole story in context and connected.

'Of'. And you better get cracking, the next one is hopefully going to be out this spring.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Psshht! Plenty of time.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 07:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
a reply to: CIAGypsy

Ah yes, I'm sure the writers who were completely off-novel with their idea of underage rape were trying to convey some type of social message to us viewers.

Nailed it.

George RR Martin is the author of the social message.... Sansa being raped by Ramsey was simply a script change in exchange for Jeyne Pool since she isn't in the show. The writers did nothing more than preserve the spirit of Ramsey's character in the book....in a much more viewer-friendly fashion, I might add.

My point is that the writers still have the literary license to choose how they want to show it and what message it will ultimately have attached to it. To have underage or otherwise (at ANY age, it's repulsive) rape occur with no justice is a travesty... If you are going to show it, then what message do you want viewers to get from it.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 07:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: CIAGypsy
If you are going to show it, then what message do you want viewers to get from it.

I have a feeling that Ramsay will get served up some serious Northern justice.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: CIAGypsy
If you are going to show it, then what message do you want viewers to get from it.

I have a feeling that Ramsay will get served up some serious Northern justice.

Can't happen soon enough!!

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 08:11 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 08:27 PM
link   
a reply to: DAZ21

Conditioning of the masses.. I am not saying GoT is intensionally conditioning the people with the violence, seks and other "extreme" behaviour scenes but less of these "criminal" scenes like rape on television would be a step in the right direction to keep society safe.

No normal person enjoys to see a brutal rape scene on television or in the movies. If people will be exposed to a brutal rape scene each day of the week you can expect a rise of rape incidents in the real world.

Just like children of today are getting used to killing an other humanbeing with guns in their video games "they" will condition these children for being good soldiers when recruted in the army. Or blow somebodies brains out with not much hesitation when chosen for a hardcore criminal carreer or other stressful situations and access to a gun.

Its all about conditioning.. on purpose to throw a monkey wrench into society or ...by accident...just because it sells.

Thats all of course MHO

edit on 21/12/2015 by zatara because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

I have the books and have not read them yet. I have spent too much time on fan forums and fan writing sites.

If the writing is like Stephen King... I can only imagine how graphic they are.

One day I will get around to actually reading the series!

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 09:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

Well worth your time!!

Now if only the next book would come out....

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 10:42 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 12:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

But the rape of the married Sansa by Ramsay is absolutely consistant with the book!

1. Sansa is NOT a child. She is a woman. She agreed to marry Ramsay for political purposes
2. Its consistant with the book portraying a time when woman were their husband's property.
3. The rape was consistant with the book in portraying Ramsay's sadistic nature. Remember the torture and mental breakdown of Theon including his castration.
4. Sansa has made her refusal to have sex with a husband she doesn't like very clear, with her rejection of Tryrion. now Tyrion was a gentlemen and did not rape her. Ramsay is no gentlemen and he needs an heir to the north as his son.

in the book Ramsay marries Jayne Poole who is an Aria look-alike. She was truly a child who became a victim, simply because she could pass for Aria. Ramsay tortures her carelessly and demands the Theon provide oral sex for him to watch.

The book is far far worse then the series.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 06:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: TiredofControlFreaks
1. Sansa is NOT a child. She is a woman. She agreed to marry Ramsay for political purposes

Sansa is 14 in the books.

Also, Littlefinger manipulated her into this arrangement, it has nothing to do with helping her but is part of his overall strategy.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 07:15 AM
link   
a reply to: DAZ21

Why don't you wait and see what the season has in store for you before you start complaining about it?

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Could just be me, but I find rape at ANY age unacceptable....

I don't care if she was 4, 14,or 40.

That being said, I don't think it is necessarily wrong for a show (any show) to include it depending on how they portray it. If it is just for a glorification of rape, then they will turn off viewers as most people find that unacceptable. If there is actually social justice and consequences tied to it, it becomes more palatable.

You could get by with never showing or, in this case, implying a rape. I'd be fine with that too.... But that is also ignoring a huge issue which continues to this day.... And THAT is the point George RR Martin intended to make.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Sansa is 14 in the books.

Which, in that world, is womanhood, marriage, childbirth, etc. All in context.

Of course, the simple bit is....."Don't like it, don't watch".

As for gratuitous nudity, a) a lot less nudity as the show progresses, b) can't remember even one scene where it didn't make sense given the situation or location (i.e. in a brothel, you just might see some boobs and pubes....just sayin'....)

<< 1    3 >>

join