It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Confederate Flag on Truck at La Crosse Campus Stirs Debate

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

So are you concerned because a bunch of students used their 1st amendment right to complain about something that was upsetting them? After all the worker willingly complied with the removal. He wasn't forced or anything. You can speculate that he was afraid to lose his job and all, but at the end of the day it was all a willing action. You'll need to present a more descriptive account of the story if you want to push the narrative that he complied so as not to lose his job. The construction company he worked for didn't appear to threaten him with termination if he didn't remove it.

What do you think should have been done in the students' case? Just shutup and deal with being offended? Wouldn't you consider that infringing on someone's first amendment right?
edit on 30-11-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
Agreed. The construction worker could have offered to cover it up with a shirt or something... Maybe he hated the sticker anyway. Maybe he didn't even put it there.

Or he did not feel too strongly about it anyway since he was pretty quick to scratch it off.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Top link should get you there.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 01:14 PM
link   

a reply to: Kali74

Agreed. The construction worker could have offered to cover it up with a shirt or something... Maybe he hated the sticker anyway. Maybe he didn't even put it there.

Maybe in this current climate, he was afraid he'd lose his job if he didn't 'comply'.
Maybe he was told to comply or he'd be fired.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   
"Fear and angst" over a sticker of a confederate flag. mmmkay.

I get it, poor kids must have been terrified.

I hope they called in all of the necessary counselors to help with all the post trauma they are going to have to deal with after such a traumatizing event.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: MagesticEsoteric

If they did, so what? Are people not allowed to seek counseling for things that upset them? Or are you just trying to belittle them because you don't agree with their grievances?

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Or maybe he's the boss and decided it was in the best interest of his business to just remove it so it's not an issue ever again, or he knew that's the stance his boss would take.

Personally, I think the whole situation is silly.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
What do you think should have been done in the students' case? Just shutup and deal with being offended? Wouldn't you consider that infringing on someone's first amendment right?

Being offended by something does not infringe on anyone's rights. If that were the case, free speech would be absolutely dead, instead of on life support, as it is now.
What the students should have done, is keep walking and going about their business.
Personally, I am offended by all these PC warriors trying to make the whole world a safe spot.
I'm offended, but it doesn't infringe on my rights.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   

I actually understand that part of it. That symbol is scary to some people with good reason.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: o0oTOPCATo0o

How exactly is the 1st Amendment on life support? Can you name ONE law that has been passed, EVER, that infringes on your 1st Amendment rights?

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

a reply to: Kali74

Maybe in this current climate, he was afraid he'd lose his job if he didn't 'comply'.
Maybe he was told to comply or he'd be fired.

Well hell he would be all over the news for weeks

BREAKING NEWS

racist construction redneck worker "aren't they all" refuses to remove confederate flag sticker from truck bumper causing wide spread angst and fear.

Obama prepares to address the nation.

My fellow Americans stay tuned.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

I actually understand that part of it. That symbol is scary to some people with good reason.

SOME people find Christian, Muslim, or Satanic symbols scary and/or offensive. Should the worker also have been asked to have his COEXIST, WWJD or Star and Crescent sticker removed if some students were scared or offended by it?

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Stormdancer777

We're being a bit dramatic, aren't we?

It was a sticker and even though these students were "offended", I doubt it would carry-over to being a media frenzy.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Why do these college students tolerate muslims symbols like the crescent on campus?

According to the UN there are currently more slaves alive today than estimatates of the number durning all of US history.

Muhammaded owned slaves and allah advocates slavery in the perfect infallible quran.

And that is just slavery. Then there is also the homophobia, pedophilia, misogyny and many other savage human rights abuse that are part of sharia. Saudi Arabia sentenced a palestinian poet to death for aposostasy just last week.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   

If someone gives up their rights willingly, you cannot blame political correctness.

...aren't you a big proponent of increasing the minimum wage?

+8 more 
posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Vocalize all they want, but there is NO right in the Constitution which grants anyone freedom from being offended. That's a purely personal choice on their part. ZERO action should be taken on the behalf of the butthurt.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   
***Hyperbole and Red Herring alert***

Get over it he complied willingly.

Stop being so offended by people who are offended.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   

I am aware of that. AS BH has said, the construction worker relinquished his rights when he took scraper to sticker. He didn't have to but he did and I doubt he would have lost his job but you never know in this climate.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 01:50 PM
link   

a reply to: o0oTOPCATo0o

How exactly is the 1st Amendment on life support? Can you name ONE law that has been passed, EVER, that infringes on your 1st Amendment rights?

"Free speech" zones?
en.wikipedia.org...

areas set aside in public places that are used to restrict the ability for American citizens to exercise their right of free speech in the United States by forcing them into these zones. The First Amendment to the United States Constitution states that "Congress shall make no law... abridging... the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." The existence of free speech zones is based on U.S. court decisions stipulating that the government may regulate the time, place, and manner—but not content—of expression.

If that, by itself, doesn't indicate a massive assault on the First Amendment, then I honestly have no idea what the purpose of the First was when it was initially penned.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   

The vice chancellor immediately had the owner scrape it off (the construction worker "complied willingly")...and then the VC made the rounds to campus student groups apologizing and saying "she would continue to defend free speech and work to guard students' "right to live and be educated free from hatred."

The Vice Chancellor is an IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So she makes one person remove a sticker so she can defend free speech. Hog wash!!!!!!

This is NOT free speech!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join