It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Confederate Flag on Truck at La Crosse Campus Stirs Debate

page: 14
<< 11  12  13   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

Let's just take Virginia, for instance.

Suppose VA took the US to international court and peacefully won its independence. I don't see the newly minted nation "selling" itself or willingly joining another country. And who would want to invade? Why? Virginia wouldn't have any enemies, it only borders the US.

Virginia wouldn't be as "rich" as some other countries, but it wouldn't need to be. It wouldn't need a massive standing army. It wouldn't be paying out billions in foreign aid. It may not have an Xbox in every house, but people could live their lives in peace and freedom. Can't put a price tag on that. Virginia has the resources to do at least as well as many countries in the world.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: mamabeth
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Slavery was not the center piece of the civil war! The southern states leaving the union
was the real cause of the war.The slavery issue was an excuse used to justify it.

Oh cool. We are going to start this conversation ALL over again with someone who hasn't read the whole thread and wants to repeat the same nonsense I've gotten done discussing all over again. Please go read the thread. I've addressed this already.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I don't have time to read the entire thread,I responded to your
recent post.Same nonsense? My answer...get over it! I have
more important things to do besides reading every single post
on this thread.Sick hubby,housework,laundry and dinner to
name a few!

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: VictorVonDoom
But North Carolina, Kentucky, West Virginia, Maryland, and Tennessee borders Virginia.

Wouldn't that make easy access to other states if another country took over Virginia?

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 09:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: cenpuppie
a reply to: Semicollegiate

You REALLY need to go and read the letters of succession those states made. Some states, like South Caolina, told you they were leaving because they wanted to keep their slaves.

Others states did it cuz they felt the gov was over reaching. But the fear of losing their slaves is what caused the south to wig out and leave the union for the most part.

The reason the states seceded is irrelevant to the war.

Why were the Southern States not allowed to choose their own form of government?

And then 50 years later the US (the Union) enters WW1 because people should be able to choose their own government.

Wilson's Fourteen Points

Wilson's Fourteen Points were democratic, liberal, enlightened, and progressive - a new type of treaty designed to make peace forever secure. The key aspects of his propositions were to disallow secret treaties in the future, allow freedom of the seas, provide for arms reduction, allow the self-determination of nations, and to establish the League of Nations, which Wilson saw as a key instrument to prevent future war.
en.wikibooks.org...:_1918_to_1945

Slavery is a red herring.

edit on 5-12-2015 by Semicollegiate because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 11  12  13   >>

join