It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How The US Screens Refugees

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 09:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills
a reply to: dreamlotus1111
What does being a psychopath have to do with a two year process?

what does a two year process have to do with someone no longer being a psychopath or having ulterior motives? lol surely they are not cured of their ill beliefs by having to wait for a little bit! lol! hilarious

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 09:52 PM
link   
a reply to: antar

What does any of that have to do with the screening process? Is that "missing refugee" a suspected terrorist? Is he supposed to be watched like a sex offender? Shockingingly, conservative websites assume this "missing" refugee is a terrorist heading to DC...

You side with Jindal?

Catholic Charities helped Syrian refugee in Baton Rouge

"We're at the receiving end," Executive Director of Catholic Charities, Chad Aguillard said. "We receive them, we welcome them into our community and help them resettle. There has been a lot of commotion and fear with Syrians. The fear is justified, but we have to check that against reality."

As Catholic Charities continues to work with those less fortunate, the organization says it has helped refugees since the Vietnam War. It plans to continue to help refugees no matter where they are from.

"If we see anything suspicious, we are going to report it," Aguillard said. "We work with FBI, Homeland Security and do what we need to do to safeguard our community."

edit on 18-11-2015 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 09:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: dreamlotus1111

What does being a psychopath have to do with a two year process?

what does a two year process have to do with someone no longer being a psychopath or having ulterior motives? lol surely they are not cured of their ill beliefs by having to wait for a little bit! lol! hilarious

What are you talking? Being cured? I never said that.

I'm just gonna go ahead and assume you think a psychopathic terrorist that is a good actor will somehow evade the two year vetting process with his lies and deceit?

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 09:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

Not "siding" with anyone Swills, just keeping it real from my personal standpoint . An open mind to watch over my open heart.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 09:58 PM
link   

pretty much.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 10:03 PM
link   
a reply to: antar

What standpoint is that? Was the state, the feds, the Catholic organization supposed to be watching this refugee 24/7? Was he supposed to be checking in with someone like a parolee? I'm have no idea what your standpoint is? The only thing I know is that you quoted some nonsense from a conservative website.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Pretty dumb.

Are you aware since 9/11 the US has been accepting and relocating over 700,000 refugees from around the world, most definitely including the Middle East. How come no terrorist has ever thought of this malicious plan before?

No one vetted the Trojan horse.

Can Terrorists Really Infiltrate the Syrian Refugee Program?

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 10:29 PM
link   

thats definitely your opinion. we will just have to wait and see...in the meantime how about you volunteer to open your own home to a couple of refugees? its easy to tell others what they need to do but if you are unwilling to do it yourself then your opinion is no longer valid.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 10:37 PM
link   

What exactly is my opinion?

Open my home? What ridiculous argument. If you knew anything about the refugee program you would know no one opens their home to them. It's a gov't program. But, I suppose you san say that all of America has already been opening their homes by living in the same communities as refugees for decades upon decades now. You probably already opened your home to refugees and don't even know it.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 10:56 PM
link   
So what's to stop some of them to just go to Mexico, then cross the border just like thousands do in the first place?

If a terrorist really wanted to get in I'm sure they wouldn't just walk through the front door, right?

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 11:47 PM
link   
a reply to: TheLotLizard

What's to stop a terrorist from doing anything? How many have passed through Mexico? Haven't heard much.

For a terrorist to get into the US their best course would be to sneak in because the refugee program is a not viable way for one, let alone a group of terrorists to enter the US.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Theres plenty of geography for them to walk off into ........all the countries around them. No need to come here.a reply to: Swills

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Well, there is the fact that most ME countries, including Syria, keep terrible records on their citizenry--many don't even know their own birthdates. So, our vetting process can only be as thorough as the place holding the information on these people seeking refuge, and if that variable in the equation is below par, our extensive checks into these people will yield nothing.

So, let's stop playing the name-calling game and start realizing that people oppose accepting these refugees for good reasons.

Plus, it's like the analogy I read goes: Let me fill a bowl with 10,000 M&Ms, but replace 100--or even just 50--with poisoned M&Ms and then mix them all up. Are you so willing to take a handful and just throw them in your mouth? Do you want our government to force you to put them in your mouth? I'm betting no...I know that's my answer.

Gambling with mine or my family's lives and safety is not something I prefer to do if there is a way to stop those deadly M&Ms from getting into our mouths. If the answer is to just not fill the bowl with the M&Ms, so be it...as harsh as that sounds.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

You know for a fact Syria keeps horrible records? Please, provide some sources to back your claim.

Name calling? Hardly. More like calling a spade a spade.

No one is gambling with your safety. Did you even read the links or watch the video to understand how the vetting process works? I guess not.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheLotLizard
So what's to stop some of them to just go to Mexico, then cross the border just like thousands do in the first place?

If a terrorist really wanted to get in I'm sure they wouldn't just walk through the front door, right?

So the argument is basically, they could get in lots of different ways anyhow, so why bother. Just let everyone in who cares.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   

You know for a fact Syria keeps horrible records? Please, provide some sources to back your claim.

Here's a thought--I worked in the JAG Corps while I was a Soldier in the Army, as did my wife (both of us were paralegals mainly for the prosecution). I was out of the military before deployment to the ME started taking place, but my wife was not. By the time that she deployed, she was not only a paralegal, but also a "Charlie Five," which is a court reporter.

On a daily basis, she dealt with (and still does, to a lesser extent, as a contract transcriptionist with the military) direct experience with how hard it is to drum up information on the average citizen of a ME country--CID Special Agents can attest to this, prosecutors and defense attorneys can attest to this, judges can attest to this, and those over there recruiting trainees who are "vetted" (yet still turn on their trainers from time to time) can attest to this. In fact, when she heard about the "vetting" of Syrians, this was the first issue that she brought up.

While you may be ignorant to the fact that it is very difficult to impossible to get enough information to consider someone "vetted" and arriving with benign intentions, that doesn't mean that I have to prove this reality to you. But there you have it, for the sake of argument.

BTW, how much time have you spent in the ME where part of your job and the job of your colleagues was to deal with tracking down background information of local nationals? Just wondering...

Name calling? Hardly. More like calling a spade a spade.

Funny how you seem to be looking like a spade, then, concerning record keeping in most ME countries. But when someone opens their OP by slinging insults, it's tough to expect much substance behind the words.

No one is gambling with your safety. Did you even read the links or watch the video to understand how the vetting process works? I guess not.

Right, no one is gambling with my safety...thanks for telling me. Now I feel all warm and fuzzy.

Like I said, the process of vetting people means nothing if there's minimal information to vet.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi

originally posted by: TheLotLizard

So the argument is basically, they could get in lots of different ways anyhow, so why bother. Just let everyone in who cares.

No I'm saying no matter how hard you try they can still get in, And will. But I appreciate you putting words in my mouth, they taste good...

So assuming that our screening process is perfect and foolproof is just an idiotic thought. The United States doesn't really have a great track record of keeping people out do they?

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Interesting background. I would have to say you and your wife definitely qualify as valid sources so excuse if I assumed you were just making assumptions based off of no facts. That happens a lot on the Internet, well life in general. Do I have any experience? As a matter of fact I do. I served with special operations in the Middle East for the USN working in military intelligence from 2001-2005. Completing a background check on Syrians is obviously a challenge but compared to vetting refuges from Afghanistan where record keeping is no where near on par to that of Syria. The U.S. has been taking refugees from all over the Middle East since 9/11 and so far so good. Would a terrorist actually think they'll be successful in eluding both the UN and U.S. vetting process and sneak into the states? They'd have a better chance of recruiting a U.S. Citizen online than posing a Syrian refugee.

Did I open the OP slinging insults? What insult exactly, being called a bigot? There are clearly bigots in all walks of life and most definitely here on ATS. I've read their posts and the fact the Skeptic Overlord had to create a thread to curb the hate and ignorance only solidifies my position. Are you insulted because you're a bigot, afraid, misinformed, or uniformed?

Vetting is a long hard process and not everyone is accepted. So far, via our vetting process we have had no refugees commit any acts of terror. Since 9/11, there have been 3 refugees arrested for terrorist related activities but from what I've read about them there were not a significant threat to the U.S. because they were bumbling wanna be's.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Looks like we may be leaving out the thought of planning and sleepers.

I suppose if those Syrians caught in Honduras say they are not terrorist then we should just take their word for it.

It is quiet amazing how everyone just ignores the fundamentals of the islam.

Hey but my hat is off too you there pc principle.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: deadeyedick

You actually think we will just take their word for it instead of doing a proper investigation? Interpol has them now and the investigation is already well under way.

Ignore the fundamentals of Islam? So you're saying, basically, the world has a potential 2 billion Muslim terrorists?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join