It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery Science Theater reboot could be coming!!!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Link
Joel Hodgson is in the midst of bringing back Mst3k. They have a kickstarter up to help fund it. I think it's about dang time they are trying to bring it back. Here's hoping that they get a tv deal

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: TwiztidRoman

I hope so, such a great show.
Me and the old man used to watch it all the time as a kid.

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Same here, used to love that Saturday morning, nursing a hangover, comedy critique of old sic fi movies.

Head splitting laugh a riot.

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Nice!! This is m favorite one

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Manos and that santa claus one with the devil is my favorite

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I'll be that guy. I don't like this show.

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Wait... Whaaaaat???????

Yes!!! Yes!!! Yes!!!!

I've been a mstie since I was a kid. I even love the ktma (public access) days.

This is the best news I've heard in a while.

Rifftrax, cinematic titanic and other projects by the crew have been great. But I'd love to see the bots and Joel back on the SOL.

Too many favorites to list, but Space Mutiny is always up there. You know, with brick hard meat. Lump beef broth. Thick mcrunfast. Etc

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: TwiztidRoman
Link
Joel Hodgson is in the midst of bringing back Mst3k. They have a kickstarter up to help fund it. I think it's about dang time they are trying to bring it back. Here's hoping that they get a tv deal

Wow, I was just talking to my fiance about how I wished this would happen.

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Oh my God I have missed this show. Bring it on xD

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I see his kickstarter is already at $827k!!

This is the first time I've donated to a kickstarter. It looks like a ton of other long time fans are excited to contribute as well! I'm sure he'll make his fundraising goal at this rate.

Woo-hoo!!
edit on 10-11-2015 by VegHead because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Excellent- funniest show ever. One of my favorite shorts:

"Century 21 Calling"

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I guess we're a danger to ourselves and others...

www.youtube.com...

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Awesome! Though Mike, Bill, and Kevin still make these videos.
www.rifftrax.com...

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Just as good!
Manos redone
edit on 11-11-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Manos is my favorite one too....

This show is pretty much a guaranteed commodity, so curious as to why he even needed to Kickstart it. Seems any network would jump at the chance to do a cheap production show with a built in fanbase. It's kind of crazy he'd even need to do this....just puzzled.

I remember talking with some of the guys on the show during a recent convention just a few months ago, and they mentioned they were exploring avenues for bringing it back. Glad to see they weren't kidding!

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 04:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gazrok
Manos is my favorite one too....

This show is pretty much a guaranteed commodity, so curious as to why he even needed to Kickstart it. Seems any network would jump at the chance to do a cheap production show with a built in fanbase. It's kind of crazy he'd even need to do this....just puzzled.

I remember talking with some of the guys on the show during a recent convention just a few months ago, and they mentioned they were exploring avenues for bringing it back. Glad to see they weren't kidding!

I suspect they are kickstarting it themselves to ensure they have the power to maintain creative control. God knows what bastardisation might result from network producers funding the development of a reboot. This way they can start remaking it the way they want and then get a slot with a network that appreciates and respects the original concept. At least that's why I'd wanna do it that way.

edit on 12-11-2015 by spygeek because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Gazrok

I think he needs the money to get the name rights back.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 06:17 PM
link   
He has raised over $1.4 million already!!

Joel made a post with really good answers to 5 questions he keeps hearing.

Here is a partial quote on the money question: (sorry I can't figure out how to quote text on the phone)

-----

Question #1: Why do you need so much money?

Believe me, man. I hear you. If it really cost $2 million just to make three episodes, we'd be spending almost $700K per show! And you're right: by itself, an episode of MST3K doesn't cost nearly that'll much.

But the explanation is actually pretty simple:

A. We don't get to keep all of the money we raise on Kickstarter.

Out of the first $2,000,000, we have to pay about 8% – that's $160,000 – in CAMPAIGN FEES to Kickstarter and the credit card processor.

Then we have to cover all of the REWARD AND SHIPPING COSTS to design, produce, print, sort and ship all of the rewards we're offering in exchange for your pledge. (Those t-shirts aren't free, you know!) That costs about 27%, so that's another $540,000.
We're not charging you twice for shipping, I promise. Even though Kickstarter asks you to add more for shipping after you pledge, they count that money toward the total we've raised, but we still have to spend that money on, you know... shipping!

So, out of the first $2,000,000 we raise, we have to spend $700,000 just on the costs of this Kickstarter campaign!

B. Then, we have a lot of startup costs just to get the show into production.

To shoot new episodes, there's a lot we'll need to do up front: creating concept art and designs, building sets, making models, creating costumes, adding new features to upgrade the robots, and all sorts of other things. All of that work costs money, which is why that first $2,000,000 includes $550,000 for STARTUP COSTS. The good part is that every penny of that ends up on screen, where you can see it.

C. But... the more episodes we make, the less each episode costs!

We have to spend $550,000 up front, no matter how many episodes we make. If we only make 3 episodes, these costs increase the budget for each episode by $183K… but if we make a full 12, they only increase it by $46K each!

Anyway, once you take out the CAMPAIGN, REWARD and STARTUP COSTS, there's a lot less than $2M left.

In fact, that leaves just $750,000 for THREE FEATURE-LENGTH EPISODES OF MST3K, which – I hope – sounds a lot more reasonable than $2,000,000!

At the end of the day, our goal is to make each feature-length episode of MST3K for around $250,000.

To put that in perspective, that means we're spending less to create 90 minutes of MST3K than even the lower-end reality shows spend to make 22 minutes! (Really makes ya think, don't it?)

And remember: that $250K isn't just to hire our writers, cast and crew, or rent equipment and space. It also includes the cost of LICENSING MOVIE RIGHTS, and that can get pretty expensive. Which brings me to the last point:

D. If we want the best cheesy movies, we have to pay for them.

Right now, none of the movies I'd like to include in the next season are in the public domain. That means we have to pay the owner of each movie a substantial amount to include it on MST3K. That would be expensive no matter what... and that's before the owners realize what we're planning to do with them!

-----/

End quote.

Full answer and other questions found here:
www.kickstarter.com...

edit on 12-11-2015 by VegHead because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2015 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Well it's happening, they got the 2 million!!!

posted on Nov, 17 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Yes!! Proud day for MSTies.

Jonah Ray is to be the new host. He's a perfect fit. Big jumpsuits to fill, but I think he could do great things with mst3k.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join