It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: Dashcam Video Just Released Shows Cop Murder Zachary Hammond

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: jhn7537

originally posted by: crazyewok

originally posted by: alienjuggalo

a reply to: alienjuggalo

And it wasn't "he might be a threat", he WAS a threat, when you're in a car, made of steel, speeding away from a cop with a loaded gun, you are a threat...

I love hoe you guys keep saying speeding away lmao.. HE was going like 3 miles an hour , watch the video.. Speeding away???

Speeding away? really??

It doesn't take much "speed" to kill/hurt someone in a car. I'm sure you can figure that out... "speed" doesn't need to mean "going 140 mph", but you can tell the driver was "speeding" away... But, hey, keep making excuses for the kid, because all cops are evil....

Lets shoot dead all motorists! Yeeeeehaaaaaaaaa

Not all motorists are speeding away from cops who have their guns drawn and barking orders to stop....

You folks and your comparisons are hilarious....

And you Americans with you obsession with solving every problem with a bullet are hilarious....

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   

And it wasn't "he might be a threat", he WAS a threat, when you're in a car, made of steel, speeding away from a cop with a loaded gun, you are a threat...

I love hoe you guys keep saying speeding away lmao.. HE was going like 3 miles an hour , watch the video.. Speeding away???

Speeding away? really??

It doesn't take much "speed" to kill/hurt someone in a car. I'm sure you can figure that out... "speed" doesn't need to mean "going 140 mph", but you can tell the driver was "speeding" away... But, hey, keep making excuses for the kid, because all cops are evil....

Not all motorists are speeding away from cops who have their guns drawn and barking orders to stop....

You folks and your speeding away. lol.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: stolencar18

originally posted by: FraggleRock
I simply cannot see how running in front of a moving vehicle and subsequently claiming to have feared for ones life makes a shooting justified. I by no means applaud the actions of the driver but the only person who endangered the community that day was the officer.

Speeding away from a police car with a person right there beside you while in a parking lot you were selling weed in isn't endangering a community?

Wouldn't want to live where you live.

Again speeding away... What is your definition of speeding?

You know speeding doesn't necessarily mean "He went 40 in a 30 zone" right? Speeding...as in he was accelerating quickly away from the parked position in speed that most people don't go around small parking lots in.

Better for you? I know it's tough to admit anything (and you never will) but this punk got what he had coming. Several conscious decisions led to him being in that parking lot doing what he knew is illegal and then running away when he was busted instead of owning up to it. He was dangerously close to that cop and the cop is justified. Don't believe me? If someone comes at you in a parking lot leaving Walmart and they're driving that speed while turning and they cut across your path missing you by inches are you going to think they're crazy? Are you going to think that perhaps they are unpredictable and dangerous?

If you say no you're full of it.

link   

Speeding away? really??

And you Americans with you obsession with solving every problem with a bullet are hilarious....

Ahhhh, gotta love blanket statements... thanks for pegging all americans as people who look to solve things with a bullet...

link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

The point when the officer fires, he is not in any danger of being hit by the car. He is clearly to the side. ... The officer clearly says "he tried to hit me" which is obviously not the case. An officer is not allowed to jump in front of a car and claim that the driver tried to kill him. This case could go either way, depending on the judge. I think if you take into account that the office tried to block the car with his body, that should negate the claim that the driver "tried to hit him". Therefor negating the "need" to use deadly force. The officer put himself in danger.

Selling weed is not a felony or an act of violence. The cop went all lethal weapon on the kid for no good reason.

With respect for actually seeming to be looking at this objectively, I feel it is important to remind you that it is the job of the officer to put himself between a suspect and their means of escape until it is known that the suspect is cooperating or no longer a suspect.

This happened in a case here in Boone County, KY, where an intoxicated teen girl was leaving a field party and the sheriff tried to stop her and she kept proceeding to leave, even when the officer was trying to get between her vehicle and the exit. She kept accelerating in the direction of the officer and ran over his foot, and he opened fire, killing the girl. She was posthumously confirmed to be intoxicated and high at the time.

I'm always certain, using 20/20 hindsight, that there are better ways to deal with these situations without people getting shot and killed, but hindsight doesn't rule an ongoing current situation, and the myriad possibilities that run through an LEOs mind at the time, possibly including something like "this guy is trying to kill me" may reasonably lead an officer to justify the use of lethal force.

Your assertions of the officer not being in danger are subjective at best, and IMO, ill-perceived. The officer was trying to move to the front of the vehicle as the vehicle was accelerating away and turning toward the officer. The driver may not have been trying to hit him intentionally, but if the officer perceived it as such (and the video shows that a reasonable person in the situation could have perceived it that way, imo), that changes the whole situation for the LEO and the driver.

Like I said, it could have probably been handled differently, but trying to stop the driver from leaving a parking lot where there is minimal potential for danger to other civilians beats trying to chase a suspect in a 2500-lb projectile driving down public (and presumably, busy) streets.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Speeding away? really??

And you folks that think cops have the right to decide ones fate by being judge, jury and executioner are hilarious too.

link   

Speeding away? really??

Ahhhh, gotta love blanket statements... thanks for pegging all americans as people who look to solve things with a bullet...

I didnt say ALL Americans

There seems to be some who are horrified by police brutality.

link   

Says the guy with an avatar of a character who's problem it was causing was solved by bullets. Maybe you Brits made us this way LOL

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: Sremmos80
Should you not drive away when a cop has a gun pointed at you but tired of hearing that he deserved to get shot because of that. Seems like we are getting closer to judge dredd style policing. These days it seems that if you don't do exactly what they cop says you deserve what ever happens next.

I don't think that is what's being said here. Once the kid decided (in a split second) to run instead of give up, he took his life and that of his passenger into his own hands.

If you were stopped, and decided to drive away from a cop with his gun drawn, would you expect him to shoot, or walk away?

(and again, I don't think this kid should have been killed, but he was)

The law says he is not allowed to shoot unless he is in danger. You can't shoot a suspect just for running away.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   
If this is going to be justified as saving the public from danger, I believe cops should shoot any driver appearing to be intoxicated and in moving car.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

Speeding away? really??

And you folks that think cops have the right to decide ones fate by being judge, jury and executioner are hilarious too.

Yes, as a citizen, I am okay with how the cop responded there. There are times I have my torches out and am fuming too, but this case doesn't warrant that type of response. This situation was avoidable.. And I look at any motorist, who's speeding away from a cop as a threat, and threat who may use their car as a weapon, so the cop is justified in my opinion for the way he responded...

link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

Says the guy with an avatar of a character who's problem it was causing was solved by bullets. Maybe you Brits made us this way LOL

News flash!

The American war of independence ended 1783....its over.

link   
a reply to: olaru12

Ah, but LEOs have the authority (and duty) to use deadly force when it is prescribed and perceived to be necessary.

It's up to the courts to decide the necessity when it occurs in a grey-area confrontation. I'm not so sure that this incident was a grey area, although it does straddle the line for me.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Can anyone who thinks the shooting was justified explain how his reason for killing the kid makes sense... I mean if he was driving at him or trying to hit him it would be really hard for the entry wounds to be where they are...

I mean just because an officer draws his gun does not give him the right to use it unless he has good reason. Shooting a teen for trying to flee is not a good reason!

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

The point when the officer fires, he is not in any danger of being hit by the car. He is clearly to the side. ... The officer clearly says "he tried to hit me" which is obviously not the case. An officer is not allowed to jump in front of a car and claim that the driver tried to kill him. This case could go either way, depending on the judge. I think if you take into account that the office tried to block the car with his body, that should negate the claim that the driver "tried to hit him". Therefor negating the "need" to use deadly force. The officer put himself in danger.

Selling weed is not a felony or an act of violence. The cop went all lethal weapon on the kid for no good reason.

With respect for actually seeming to be looking at this objectively, I feel it is important to remind you that it is the job of the officer to put himself between a suspect and their means of escape until it is known that the suspect is cooperating or no longer a suspect.

This happened in a case here in Boone County, KY, where an intoxicated teen girl was leaving a field party and the sheriff tried to stop her and she kept proceeding to leave, even when the officer was trying to get between her vehicle and the exit. She kept accelerating in the direction of the officer and ran over his foot, and he opened fire, killing the girl. She was posthumously confirmed to be intoxicated and high at the time.

I'm always certain, using 20/20 hindsight, that there are better ways to deal with these situations without people getting shot and killed, but hindsight doesn't rule an ongoing current situation, and the myriad possibilities that run through an LEOs mind at the time, possibly including something like "this guy is trying to kill me" may reasonably lead an officer to justify the use of lethal force.

Your assertions of the officer not being in danger are subjective at best, and IMO, ill-perceived. The officer was trying to move to the front of the vehicle as the vehicle was accelerating away and turning toward the officer. The driver may not have been trying to hit him intentionally, but if the officer perceived it as such (and the video shows that a reasonable person in the situation could have perceived it that way, imo), that changes the whole situation for the LEO and the driver.

Like I said, it could have probably been handled differently, but trying to stop the driver from leaving a parking lot where there is minimal potential for danger to other civilians beats trying to chase a suspect in a 2500-lb projectile driving down public (and presumably, busy) streets.
The cops life was not threatened at any point in this video. Especially not at the point when he fired his weapon.
edit on 27-10-2015 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Ah, but LEOs have the authority (and duty) to use deadly force when it is prescribed and perceived to be necessary.

It's up to the courts to decide the necessity when it occurs in a grey-area confrontation. I'm not so sure that this incident was a grey area, although it does straddle the line for me.

no its up to the prosecutor, and since charging the cop would open up a wrongfull death suit they just sweep it under the rug..

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Speeding away? really??

Yes, as a citizen, I am okay with how the cop responded there. There are times I have my torches out and am fuming too, but this case doesn't warrant that type of response. This situation was avoidable.. And I look at any motorist, who's speeding away from a cop as a threat, and threat who may use their car as a weapon, so the cop is justified in my opinion for the way he responded...

Are you Americans such cowards you have to shoot a pot dealer driving away rather than get his details and pick him up alive later and arrest him?

Ooooo no he drove away with a plant!!!!!! Shoot him! Shoot him! He may sell some more of that evil plant before the cops pick him up! Shoot him before I piss my star spangled panties!

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   

cops are allowed to shoot when their lives are in danger. That is the only time. At no point was he in danger. Especially not when the car was heading away from him.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Speeding away? really??

Are you Americans such cowards you have to shoot a pot dealer driving away rather than get his details and pick him up alive later and arrest him?

Ooooo no he drove away with a plant!!!!!! Shoot him! Shoot him! He may sell some more of that evil plant before the cops pick him up! Shoot him before I piss my star spangled panties!

I can look at it from a different angle, why would a guy be speeding away from a cop for just a little pot? So maybe the cop thought the guy had a weapon on him or possibly a warrant for something much more serious then pot... If it's just a little pot you're dealing, then why speed away? Why not just take your ticket?

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye
He took a chance that the cop might use excessive force and he did. It's not what he deserved though. That's like saying young women who get passed out drunk at parties get what they deserve if they are raped.

Terrible analogy...that's not at all the same.

Fleeing from an officer who is trying to arrest you or stop you for any reason is against the law...getting drunk and passing out at a private party (unless under 21) is not a crime.

While I agree that shooting at a fleeing person is not always necessary, it's not always excessive force, either. And I hate to play devil's advocate (no I don't), but sometimes stupid decisions do deserve stupid results. But life isn't about what is deserved, it's about what is earned.

Did he deserve to be shot? Maybe not.

Did he earn it through his actions? Yep.

I didn't say the situations were circumstantially identical. I said in neither case do the victims deserve what they get for using poor judgment -- a point you agreed with.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join