It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Investigation Reveals Dogs Burned by Sun, Not Acid

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   

A report by the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department concluded animal cruelty was not to blame in recent cases

NBC

Initial findings of an investigation launched after several dogs were believed to be chemically burned revealed the animals' injuries were caused not by an abuser but by the blistering sun.

A $50,000 reward was also offered to help find the person responsible for what was believed to be acid attacks.
But a report by the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department concluded animal cruelty was not to blame in recent cases where dogs were brought into shelters with seared flesh.

"Both animal forensic experts and veterinary experts formed the opinion the dogs were not intentionally burnt, but suffering from burns caused by the sun, solar thermal necrosis," the LAC Sheriff's Department said in a statement.

At least nine dogs have been been found with the same burns across their backs. It has been assumed by the Veterinarians caring for the survivors that is it done by a human with malicious intent. More specifically that someone was finding these stray dogs and pouring something like battery acid down their backs.

Now it looks like the Sheriff's Department is throwing in the towel in their investigation. Saying it is Solar Thermal Necrosis. This ABC Article

"solar thermal necrosis," which is chronic sun damage. This disorder is common in hot and sunny climates.
. Hello? If it's common don't you think these Vets that work in the area would have seen this before the last few months?
And chronic sun damage... This is a 6 month old puppy.

I'm no Vet nor expert investigator, but here is what the Vet said about their findings.

Dr. Alan Schulman, who treated Fergus when he was brought in with severe burns, said he stands by his original diagnosis that the golden retriever was chemically burned by acid.

"I'm flat-out stunned," he said of the findings.

In the video at the first link, he says it's absurd and he must have missed that day of Veterinary School that taught that B.S.

I put this in Social Issues and Civil Unrest Forum because this is the type of crap that makes people feel disdainful towards the Police. Seems they care more about money generating non-crimes rather than legitimate crimes. Crimes that could be end up being a public safety issue. I still think some psycho is doing this and may turns towards people. But luckily, to avoid outrage, they gave themselves an out.

The $50,000 reward remains in place while the LACSD continues its investigation.

They will still investigate even though they have determined it was the Sun's fault. Don't get mad residents of the area, we are diligently working to keep your person and property safe. Now don't forget to buckle that seat belt, or I will have to write you a ticket. I mean I care about your safety, is all.

I think I should quit before I say something stupid. I'm feeling pretty disgusted at the moment.

So what do you all think?
Does this look like doggie sunburn, or does it look like something was poured down their backs?

I say something poured down their backs, and the middle where it separated the fur got the worst burns.

I've dealt with a pitbull that can get a sunburn if she doesn't find shade. It starts on the extremities, especially the nose. You know where the hair is shortest. look at that last picture. Both dogs' noses are black and healthy looking.

I call B.S. on this investigation. It's probably the Sheriff's Department doing it themselves because when they do it to humans it becomes a national outcry. That may sound absurd, and it probably is, but it's not as absurd as their findings. That's some NLBS right there.
edit on 16/10/2015 by harvestdog because: last line

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: harvestdog

Thanks for the follow up. Was thinking they had a budding serial killer on their hands. Doggie sunscreen at spf 1000 maybe?
edit on 16-10-2015 by Reallyfolks because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-10-2015 by Reallyfolks because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Wouldn't the dogs fall ill with dehydration and heat stroke long before a burn like this could form in direct sun? I don't buy it. Something stinks.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Hmm..not buying that..not for 1 heartbeat.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I used to work for a dog breeder who bred Belgian Shepherds for both show and pets. Never, in the several years I worked for them, did I ever see a dog get "sunburn" like what these poor dogs experienced.

It's a load of nonsense. Someone tortured those dogs and someone else is passing the buck.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Having dog groomed for 15 years I can say with pretty much certainty that having seen sun burn on dogs,thats not it. We advised people to NOT shave down their dogs for the summer really short because they could get sun burnt. You see,the hair itself acts as an insulator against the sun for the dog.Therefore it protects the dogs skin. you suddenly take away that protection and the dog gets burnt. These burns are pretty area specific. That tells me that something was poured on the dog to burn it. I think the police just don't want to 'waste' resources anymore on this.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Lazy a** investigating, and the people of the area really need to get loud about it.

That is the most ridiculous thing I've heard.

Those poor dogs. And what are they going to say if it happens again? Unless the psycho doing this has now moved on to people already.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   
The only reason I can think of why they would give this obviously BS conclusion is to try to minimize the sensationalism of the acid attacks in hopes to reduce "copy cat" attacks. I'd say if this was their intention, then it's likely to backfire.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Uhm, fur blocks sun light... that's not sun damage. The places dogs DO get burned, around the nose for instance, is fine in most of those cases... so... nope.

One would think it would be a usual occurrence if it was, OR the sun has increased its solar radiation output 1000 fold, and that would be bigger news, I think.

Some of our public servants need exchanging. Poor doggies.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Add me to the list of "I ain't buying it's"!!! To only be burnt down the middle of their backs they would have to basically remain standing straight up with their heads somehow tucked under their bodies. How is it the sun burns their back but their ears are unremarkable, like you mentioned their soft uncovered noses, pretty much everywhere on their bodies. God this world is getting sicker and sicker, more sick? Anyway... I'm disgusted and I hope someone comes forward, because somebody knows something... It is likely a young person and they can't keep their mouths closed, and they will tell on themselves and likely already have.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I would just like to share my great distaste for what humanity has become over the last 5 years. There are more sociopaths and psychopaths then ever.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Does not look like sun burns I've worked with a bunch of large bread dogs as well, helping with foster care and vet care. Never seen that from a sun burn like they're showing. I've seen some dog that where not put in the shade, I was on the west coast and it was hot and no trees. The dogs didn't look like this, they did have sun burns. But when they start to get sunburns they lose lots of hair it get really thin and falls out. But never a "burn" like they're showing.

My bet is the police found out who it was and that person is in a place or in touch with someone with power or money. Now they're trying to write it off as sun burn.

Just have to do more digging to call total bull on the "sun burn theory" need to check the weather report for the local area when it happened.

One more thing I'd like to point out the top of the muzzle and head are not "sun burned" on two of the dogs. That's some magical sun like or some very small shade.
edit on 16-10-2015 by ObjectZero because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Bull...$h!t.

I'm no veterinarian, but I've spent years working and playing in the sun and my skin does not look like that, not to mention I never had fur to protect me.

If I was the owners I'd be screaming bloody murder. That's looks incredibly painful for the poor pooches and if this is true I would've have any qualms about letting the owners loose on the perpetrators.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: ObjectZero

My bet is the police found out who it was and that person is in a place or in touch with someone with power or money. Now they're trying to write it off as sun burn.

It's either that or they refuse to release the identity of the perpetrators in fear that they will be lynched, which coincides with your statement.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Sorry to burst a bubble, but for this to be an acid attack someone would have had to either sedate the dogs to get such a precise stripe burn or numerous people would have to hold them down...

Otherwise the dogs would be a frantic manoeuvrable being upon first contact with the corrosive...

Not to mention acid burns look much worse than that.

Sunburn.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   
People dont still put 2 and 2 together and realize that our solar shield is almost gone? I already know it is due to all the news of pilots dying ,trees dying, fish and everything in the ocean dying ,Severe cases of sun burn and now this. It will just get worse with time. Soon all of us will need suits to go outside safely without burning under the sun.

Earth’s “Magnetic Shield” and the Van Allen Radiation Belts are being destroyed as we speek......
edit on 7/30/2012 by dreamfox1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   
any one know what the sun was like?
any humans burnt?
can I burn the human who did this?
no! that would make me human too.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Do a image search of dogs with severe sunburn and you will see it's not unheard of.

Don't let emotions cloud you people not everyone is evil.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aedaeum
I would just like to share my great distaste for what humanity has become over the last 5 years. There are more sociopaths and psychopaths then ever.

Agreed...and either the police have no inclination to find the culprit/ culprits...or they DO know who it is and they are covering it up. Nothing would surprise me. Wouldn't surprise me either if in years to come they find a dead body with similar burns...My god L.A. County..this is "Criminal Minds 101".

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Sorry to burst a bubble, but for this to be an acid attack someone would have had to either sedate the dogs to get such a precise stripe burn or numerous people would have to hold them down...

Ever heard of baiting?

Some sick folk taint meat, walk past a fence, and toss it over for the dogs to eat. If people are capable of that, then it is more than possible that folk will pour acid onto a dog.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join