It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can you identify a World War 1/2 Austrian or Hungarian Military Uniform?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I am going to upload an image of someone I know. They are no longer living. They served in either the Austrian or Hungarian in the 1930s and 1940s. They escaped Europe and lived out their days in another country. Could just be a standard officer. I always wondered if there could be more to his story. I'm unable from digging through Austro Hungarian or Nazi sites to find ANY uniforms that look like this. I have found a few things that identify the two stars on either side of the collar, but nothing that looks like this in terms of the color, the bars on the chest, or the piece of striped fabric that folds up out of the buttons on the front. Does anyone here have background on World War 1/2 and the uniforms of that era? Any assistance is appreciated.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Sorry...haven't uploaded a photo before. Here is the image:

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 09:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Losonczy

I have "some" back ground in this field but in my guess it would be more Hungarian. Austrian uniforms had the collar more "vertical" but very similar looking. And it would appear mere an inter-war period uniform.
But a good site is Link wich at the bottom of the page as most uniforms shown.
edit on 12 10 2015 by Guenter because: ETA

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 10:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Guenter

You have to understand that before and during World War 1 Austria and Hungary are under one empire, The Austro-Hungarian Empire

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 10:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal

You have to understand that before and during World War 1 Austria and Hungary are under one empire, The Austro-Hungarian Empire

That is why is said it looks Hungarian and inter-war period. and the Austrians kept most of their old KuK uniforms for a while and when new ones came out they were quite "plain".

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Thank you so much for the help. I'll take a look at the links. So there's no way in an inter-war period uniform that you could tell if someone had a nefarious background or was in a bad faction of the Hungarian service then?

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Looks to me from that insignia list as a:

Oberstleutnant also:
Oberstabsarzt 2. Klasse
Oberstleutnant-Auditor

Alezredes Lieutenant colonel
Class: VII

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Its Austrian, but I cannot place the collar insignia, the button down pocket flaps are a mystery.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 03:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Losonczy

It's not Austrian ... the white-black-white ribbon is a German insignia.

The white-black-white on the buttons, was part of the imperial German uniforms. The equivalent austrian, would be white-red-white, I think. And if I recall correctly, the imperial Austrian uniforms were buttoned up on the right.

Actually, the Austrian insignia is red-white-red. My guess is, this uniform is a poorly done replica.

edit on 13/10/2015 by bjarneorn because: (no reason given)

top topics

join