It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Losing My Internet (and my mind)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Whenever there is a problem with my connection to the Internet, there are a few thoughts that automatically enter my mind. I wonder if you have the same dilemma as well.

First thought is just your basic, “Crap, I have to go reset the modem!”. Usually this fixes the problem within a short few minutes. Then the reset doesn't work and then the second thought kicks in, “Crap, I have to reset the modem, again!”.

So, the first 2 thoughts centered around the modem, but then in between the 2nd reset that doesn't fix the problem and the 3rd reset, the other thoughts enter the picture, “Crap, did I forget to pay the damn bill?”. Checking that will be kind of tough to do though because like all my bills, I pay that on-line.

Of course I paid the damn thing, are you serious, that is the 3rd most important bill I have after my rent and electricity, so that thought disappears rather quickly and on to the 4th thought I go. The service provider is obviously doing a maintenance reboot of their own, right? Depending on the time it is when the connection goes awry will usually require a late night situation, which this was (3:30 AM), so it’s possible.

Now about this time I am deciding whether or not I want to brave the telephone fiasco, you know the one, where you have to push 20 buttons to get someone on the phone that most likely will not be able to communicate in proper English just to find out, “Yes, you paid your bill” and “No, we are not doing maintenance“. If I do not call though then I can wander onto my 5th thought.

Which is that dreaded, “Is this the end of the world, scenario?” I know that is a bit drastic, but it happens to me when I lose contact with the outside world on the Internet. If there was a major catastrophe that happened and cell phones go down or there was no way to communicate the mind can go there, at least mine can and has.

Especially with the state of worldwide affairs right now. Go to bed and wake up to another escalation somewhere or another mass shooting or another earthquake or another volcano erupting or a major storm ripped though some area…losing my connection to the Internet or cell service is hardly traumatic, but it takes on a personality of it’s own when it happens.

Not having the ability to stay informed definitely has it’s downside, then the 6th thought finds it’s mark, “Shut the hell up, you are overreacting!” Even if any of the above scenarios did occur there, would not be much I could do, right? If they happened in my area somehow I would find out something, the worse part is not knowing if someone I am close to has a problem and they need me.

I am not done with the thoughts though, number 7 is the final log entry on this matter (you can stop the snickering and sneering and the rolling of the eyes, you know who you are), however, “What the hell did I do before the Internet?” Well, I survived just fine without it and cell phones for that matter (until they shut all the land lines down, which is really stupid by the way).

Number 7 comes with a caveat, now, because they took away all the landlines. I can survive without my Internet connection, I can survive without cell phone service, but how the hell can we communicate without land lines for emergencies?

Back in Grandpa’s day they had the pony express to get word to people about important matters or they rang a bell for the firemen and the sheriff in town was ready for the hootin’ and hollerin’ derelicts shooting up the town, they didn't have no cotton pickin’ fancy cell phone or Internet or even land lines, but they survived. Technology is a wonderful thing until you don’t have it. Then you have to learn to deal without it.

I guess what I am saying in my long winded round about kind of satirical prose is that whatever thoughts I get about my Internet connection going haywire and where they lead me, is this, “# happens, deal with it!”
edit on 9-10-2015 by soulpowertothendegree because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 03:23 AM
link   
a reply to: soulpowertothendegree

Yes the pain of losing the internet! I agree with all of those except the part "Is this the end of the world" scenario. It really does take your mind on a trip sometime, of course being all dependent upon the person who is evaluating the situation. I normally draw a lot or sleep. I would go down to the river tbh, but there's no way to get there without a car and living in Oregon it gets cold around this time of year.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 03:23 AM
link   

edit on 9-10-2015 by Seraii because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 03:54 AM
link   
a reply to: soulpowertothendegree

For me lately the internet and me do not get along.. I'm not really sure on the issue. But I can fix it by resetting DNS and modems, and cleaning out my compy.. My computer was hacked to all hell, and I still havn't fixed that.

Around the same time it was coming out certain ISPs were slowing connections to even 1 100th of the advertised speed.

Well anyway.. I realized I'm hooked. People don't connect in average day to day life in meaningful ways. On ATS especially I can get into the good deep stuff.

You know it's similar to the difference of listening to the radio or a cd. The radio seems more "live" Not that I listen to radio anymore, but just saying..

I think the main recent internet issues seem to be DNS related. On the side of the ISP. I'm wondering if there is a workaround to make better DNS settings.. I think there is, I'm just not a computer geek anymore.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 07:07 AM
link   
I just went through 3 months of this with ATT. I was sure it wasnt our modem. I finally made them (yes, made them) come out and find the problem. It took them hours, but finally traced it to some old wiring in their box.

I think they give you the run around and put you off, on purpose. So, hang in there, eventually they get tired of you calling and calling. Last time, I told them I had been with ATT for 20 yrs before they were ATT and still pac bell, but as much as I wanted to be loyal, I would be forced to find a new carrier. Somehow, it became a priority and they fixed it.

I also told them that I really couldnt afford the high speed anyway, so I would be shopping for a cheaper carrier, and somehow they managed to find me a lower price on my high speed too.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: misskat1

Just wait until you cancel your big BUCK internet/cable/phone package and go from 235.00 a month to 25.00 (for internet) the deals roll out daily to get you back. It's a dirty monopoly. ... I feel ya O P!

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 07:33 AM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader

I didnt have the package, no cell phones etc. Just a land line and high speed. But, yes, they found away to give me a customer loyalty discount.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Isn't that funny how that 'just happens'? Glad your back up & in tune

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 08:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: ReadLeader

Just wait until you cancel your big BUCK internet/cable/phone package and go from 235.00 a month to 25.00 (for internet) the deals roll out daily to get you back. It's a dirty monopoly. ... I feel ya O P!

LoL
We just did the same thing, $250 down to $30. And I had to go to the office to do it. The guy on the phone didn't seem to UNDERSTAND my budget had changed drastically and we could no longer afford it.

Lowest he got me was $95.

I show up in person with 4 cable boxes, remotes and cable modem and suddenly they have this $30/month-15mb/sec internet 'deal'.

Its criminal what they get away with.

OT, I wonder if I would be better off without the internet connection too? I am seriously considering your option #7 OP.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 08:54 AM
link   
I do regular "Internet fasts" to remind myself that I can live without it.

I had no Internet for a month after Super Storm Sandy.

I listened to the radio. I read more books. I took long walks.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Hahahaha! I recently had computer problems and didn't know what to do with myself! I cleaned out closets and draws and read more and got caught up with a lot of things, but...it was horrible! I love my online extended family sooooo much! I was wondering how they were, wondering what I might be missing in the numerous interesting threads that pop up, or looking up something I wanted info on. I missed being able to watch a good movie while my husband was watching something I had no interest in whatsoever...

So yeah, I guess there is life without the internet, but damn! Keep me connected!

top topics

join