It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Belarus says does not need a Russian military base: report

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Well now this could really be getting interesting between Russia and Belarus...

MINSK (Reuters) - Belarussian President Alexander Lukashenko said on Tuesday his country did not need a Russian military base, appearing to make a rare concession to public protests before this weekend's presidential election.

On Sunday around 400 Belarussians protested against the base in central Minsk. They chanted 'the Russian base makes us a target' and 'the Russian base is occupation.'

news.yahoo.com...

And yes he could be saying this to get re elected, but it seems there isn't going to be a problem with re election.

What is Russia going to say about this?

I imagine it won't be nice, and will be backed with some kind of ultimatum.

edit on 6-10-2015 by tsurfer2000h because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: tsurfer2000h

What do you think the ultimatum will be?

The guy has been in power since 1994, yet they are a democracy? Go figure.

Also, 400 people protesting? I bet the Government were quaking.

edit on 6/10/15 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

What do you think the ultimatum will be?

With Putin it's anyone's guess.

I just see from history...he likes ultimatums.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Also, 400 people protesting? I bet the Government were quaking

Well 400 can become many more in a hurry, as we saw in Ukraine, and in Hong Kong.

Better to make the small group happy, than it is to have more protest later.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   

The thing is the guy is despised by the West because of his Human Rights record, so I can't see him turning his back on his only ally.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: tsurfer2000h

Also, 400 people protesting? I bet the Government were quaking

Well 400 can become many more in a hurry, as we saw in Ukraine, and in Hong Kong.

Better to make the small group happy, than it is to have more protest later.

Hey tell that to the Japanese protesters at the us base in Okinawa.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 12:37 PM
link   

He has kept his country in a close strategic alliance with Moscow. However, he seeks to counterbalance the relationship with Moscow by making occasional overtures to the West.

Yes, best to play both sides against his middle…

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: midicon

You do understand that it would be easier to quell 400 protesters now than it would be to try and please more later on.

And I was saying a small protest can grow rather quickly if allowed to do so.

SO what does Okinawa have to do with what I was saying?

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978

The thing is the guy is despised by the West because of his Human Rights record, so I can't see him turning his back on his only ally.

Actually the situation is enhancing in Belarus, European Union moves to suspend sanctions on Belarus

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   

But that has never stopped the West before.

He doesn't have to turn his back on Russia...they just don't want the Russian base there for now as things could change in the future.

I also think they don't want to see a Ukraine happen with them...protest wise that is.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Can you really believe for a second that demonstrators from Belarus would be protesting against Russians by waving signs written in English ? Looks like a perfect setup for anti-Russian propaganda imo.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: theultimatebelgianjoke

Actually the situation is enhancing in Belarus, European Union moves to suspend sanctions on Belarus

Which makes things a bit more interesting in Belarus.

Russia cannot be very happy about that.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Belarus is the worst dictatorship in Europe. If four hundred people were protesting freely then they were paid to be there by Lukashenka (Lukashenko). When a protest is unofficial, then all get arrested, tortured, murdered or 'disappeared'.

Belarus has never had a free election. The nation's only hope is intervention by Moscow to send Lukashenka off into the sunset.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Can you really believe for a second that demonstrators from Belarus would be protesting against Russians by waving signs written in English ? Looks like a perfect setup for anti-Russian propaganda imo.

And why couldn't that be an American living there joining the protest?

Who said protests signs only had to written in Russian?

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   

And why couldn't that be an American living there joining the protest?

Who said protests signs only had to written in Russian?

If he is a American then I trust it even less!

In Belarus that would mean a CIA plant most like. Or SIS if British.

No way would the dictatorship there allow a protest let alone one which allowed English speakers foreigners there freerly.

That means some agenda.
edit on 6-10-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-10-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   

You do understand that it would be easier to quell 400 protesters now than it would be to try and please more later on.

And I was saying a small protest can grow rather quickly if allowed to do so.

SO what does Okinawa have to do with what I was saying?

It would be easier to 'quell' a smaller group, although 'making them happy' might not...indeed need not come into it. It has nothing to do with Okinawa but somehow it sprang to mind at your idea of giving the protesters what they want...lest they grow.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   

This is a picture from a Russian / Belarus forum that took place mid September in Sotchi. Notice the difference ?

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Kapriti

Belarus is the worst dictatorship in Europe. If four hundred people were protesting freely then they were paid to be there by Lukashenka (Lukashenko). When a protest is unofficial, then all get arrested, tortured, murdered or 'disappeared'.

Never said they couldn't be, and it could have only been one protester...the premise thread is about the fact the president has said they don't need a Russian base there.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   
i dont get the message? Could someone please elaborate?

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   

It would be easier to 'quell' a smaller group, although 'making them happy' might not...indeed need not come into it.

Well being as this is election time he probably see's it as being easier to agree with the small group, but once elected he may change his mind.

Ukraine is a good example as to what can happen when the protests get too large to either quell, or make them satisfied.

The point is Russia will not be happy about this decision, and Belarus has got some serious talks coming at them from Russia.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join