It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cheapest way to build a house?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Wetpaint72

I've heard of some methods that seem around this price, or cheaper depending, but the step to step process sounds great.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

I really like this idea. Does it save as much money as you'd imagine, though? A container can cost several thousand, and enough 2x6 boards to make that wall.. Would cost more or less? I'm not sure.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   
buy a couple of used mobile homes, once you have them on the land you can basically do whatever you want without having to deal with permits.
if you are the owner and doing the work yourself (not contracting the work out) you can do a lot of "improvements" without having to get permits.
you could replace the trailers one piece at a time by building "additions" or "improvements"
a guy around here did that, he started by moving the trailer and making a block foundation.he put the trailer on part of the block foundation and then built a big 2 car garage attached to one end of the foundation. then he started building a house one piece at a time on the foundation while taking the trailer apart one piece at a time as he went.
it wasn`t considered new construction it was considered improvements to the existing structure ( the mobile home).

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: deadlyhope

Maybe not the cheapest, but far and away the most cost effective.
www.morganbuildings.com...

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Shipping containers are sometimes not a great idea
Some of the materials they have carried are toxic and can leach into the container.

Serious issues have been seen due to the effects of people living under these conditions over extended periods

Do your research, there are health risks

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 10:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

Yeah, it's not my number one pick for a few reasons, I'm just trying to think of a cheap enough way to build. The answer could end up being a stick built house, just a small one with basic finishes and plumbing all on one wall. I'm just trying to see my options

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 11:14 PM
link   

a dugout.

just find a hill and dig a home into the side of it.

the settlers in the area lived in them quite a bit back in the day. May dad was born in one.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 11:45 PM
link   
I agree with bigfatharrytexan on the dugout idea. If you're interested, check out Mike Oehler's book on underground houses. More than likely, it won't work with your code requirements though.

I'm in a similar situation as you. The best option I've found for my place is a pre-built shed like the ones from this place. It's portable and can serve as a temporary residence while something better is built.

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 04:32 AM
link   

A couple of sea tainers is a good way to go mate.

Apart from that, the heavy gauge corregated steel they make under passess etc with is nice and strong and can be covered over with earth. A couple of tilt up conrete panels at the ends with a door and windows in will be nice and strong, secure, safe, warm in winter and envrio friendly.

cheers

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 06:04 AM
link   
It really depends on what your able to do yourself. Well what you can do yourself correctly. My pop is finishing a steel building that's 4000 square feet. I installed the electrical and plumb as well as the concrete work. Without insulation currently were at around 25k. Taking into account the height that wouldn't be needed if he were making it to live in that price would drop. We bought a ton of surplus off craigslist for some insanely low prices. Since I have my own welders and torches that helped alot as well. Just found some 1/2 inch sheetrock a guy has for 3$ a sheet so we are going to section off a couple rooms and make a new shop and living space. If I had to guess I could build a steel home to code and finished for about 40k tops. Would just take a bit longer for salvaged finishing materials. This is in Virginia btw. I may actually get the chance to find out since dad is talking about building a house up there. reply to: deadlyhope

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 08:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

Shipping containers are sometimes not a great idea Some of the materials they have carried are toxic and can leach into the container.

True. It is important to research what they were carrying.
Same can be said of traditional modern homes. Insulation, ductboard and carpeting are all capable of making your home toxic.

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I've looked into this type of housing - and my property is sloped to the point where I plan on building any type of construction at least somewhat into the ground. The thermal properties alone are amazing.

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 09:58 AM
link   

and you never have to climb up on a roof with a bundle of shingles.

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Something new I just came across but have been mulling over for a time is taken up in this vid . Think old tires ..

Something to also consider as I have experimented and it works quite well with tires . If you put a piece of Big O drain pipe inside the tire it creates a sturdy air pocket . As a base use coarse gravel as it will give a good drainage . AS you move up the wall you could use straw inside the tire . Bugs dont like straw and it resists rot and has a good R value . The tire with the Big-O inside helps to reinforce the tires from compressing . I was very surprised with my test results . I put a 45 gallon drum of water on a tire with just the Big O inside and had very little sag .
edit on 2-10-2015 by the2ofusr1 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join