It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Progressive anti-liberals attempting to push online censorship globally

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   
First the what and who:

"Pro"gressive games critic and feminist Anita Sarkeesian, flanked with others have gone to the UN to discuss online "violence" and a call to action to put an end to it.
Like many shifty things, the package sounds great...who likes cyber violence...
well, I mean, ok, you cant actually do violence online..you can bully people, and..well it all falls apart and then becomes scary when you put thought into it. Lets find out what is actually being pushed here.

wait...so people making videos countering yours and suggesting you aren't being honest is harassment?

and you are suggesting people questioning feminists/games "critics" should be shut down, to include entire websites exposing truths or not being friendly?

Well, thats nutty. I am sure everyone can get a chuckle at just how absurd and extreme this viepoi...

you wot mate?

YOU CANT VIRTUALLY PUNCH PEOPLE.....(regrettably at times)

ok, so whats being said here?

Women are not fragile creatures. Women can be disagreed with, called a liar, called a twit, and any other language a person can muster, because they are equally as strong as men. it is damn insulting to suggest anything less.
Yes, women get sexually harassed more than men, but men get abusive language far more than women. give and take, it all sucks, but its part of a society based on freedom of speech. change things through friendly dialog..not going to the UN and Google to push for laws online to stop cyber "violence".

ok, nutshell it..whats the goal here!

Studies? what studies? all studies show the exact opposite. what are you even on about

..oh.

ok, not just games, etc..its all media, all online activity..soo much violence. clearly whats needed here is a heavy hand of censorship to clamp down on these "problematic" sites pushing people into psychopathic serial killers with all the violence..UN is agreeing.

this is going on in the UN. this comes after a meeting with these same characters at google ideas to discuss ways to end online harassment (remember, harassment now means disagreeing/calling a woman a liar or being rude)

Citations:
broadbandcommission pdf
current un speeches
sadness

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Addition:

I still consider myself a liberal..even more than ever now. a classic liberal, and I have over the past year or so, educated myself more and more on what this means. I have concluded (as many others have) that classic liberalism is the polar opposite of the progressive movement and in fact are more at odds than conservatism. I..dont understand why progressive politics has attached itself onto liberalism, whos very core value is freedom of expression, ideas, ideals, and tolerating all forms of creativity.

I expect...no, I demand my fellow liberals to stand up and say enough is enough, to push off this "pro"gressive leech trying to steer classic liberal ideals of freedom and expression off the road. this is disgusting and progressives are -not- friends to liberals..they are the polar opposite.

Look, I dont mind when the perpetually offended "pro"gressives stay in their small cliques on tumblr complaining about manspreading and all kinds of nonsense to other 17 year olds...but when they start going to congress, google, and the UN to demand action taken to stop people disagreeing with them..and being taken seriously
when they demand universities ban conversations they deem "problematic", put trigger warnings on everything that someone may find uncomfortable, etc..thats when we move from mildly amused at this fringe cult to concern requiring action to stop this infection from spreading

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Oh, I wanted to put this up also for my friends on here who may be confused...also for my former opponents to pick apart.

Sargon of Akkad is a voice on youtube who is a self proclaimed liberal anti-progressive and has summed up beautifully the differences here and why liberals should be fighting progressives, not associating with them.

Its a hour long, but very worth a watch that may change your entire outlook on whats going on here.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

Let's just do away with the internet....back to getting in line at the banks and going back to the Encyclopedia Britannica..I would miss netflix but as far as the other stuff...I'm ok if it disappears...while we are at it lets get rid of cellphones....just my two cents..

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: chrismarco

Let's just do away with the internet....back to getting in line at the banks and going back to the Encyclopedia Britannica..I would miss netflix but as far as the other stuff...I'm ok if it disappears...while we are at it lets get rid of cellphones....just my two cents..

But then there would be no memes or lolcats!

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I agree, some of this stuff is getting way out of hand.

These people take away from any true movement just looking for equality not to make others walk on egg shells.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   

I don't think it's the ones who are opposing her argument or just disagreeing with her that is the problem. I doubt being called a twit or stupid or something is the problem either.

I think it's more along the lines of the ones who say stuff like how she should be violently raped or the wide variety of creative and seriously violent things that some people repeatedly say to her. There is a huge following of gamer boys that have made her into some kind of icon to abuse verbally.

I think she's fully prepared to debate the in's and out's of her argument. But I've read some of the things that her opposing groups have said and it's not debatable material. They are just verbally abusing her, insulting her and calling out for someone to kill her or worse.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Tumblr is the only thing that makes me look at the Book of Revelations and both start to believe it's more than allegory and hope that maybe the apocalypse will come - as just watching the SJW's getting washed away or disintegrated might actually be worth the price of admission.

I cannot believe that anyone, other than themselves, is taking these idiots seriously.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm

I don't think it's the ones who are opposing her argument or just disagreeing with her that is the problem. I doubt being called a twit or stupid or something is the problem either.

I think it's more along the lines of the ones who say stuff like how she should be violently raped or the wide variety of creative and seriously violent things that some people repeatedly say to her. There is a huge following of gamer boys that have made her into some kind of icon to abuse verbally.

I think she's fully prepared to debate the in's and out's of her argument. But I've read some of the things that her opposing groups have said and it's not debatable material. They are just verbally abusing her, insulting her and calling out for someone to kill her or worse.

exact quote is people calling her a liar
I want you to spend a minute and consider how lets say the politicians may use her words to further their own agenda if you dont accept her words at face value

stop looking for the spirit of what you feel is being said and instead, look at the exact words of what is being recorded and acted upon.
words cannot harm you physically

consider this

when I hear violence, my natural reaction is to stop the violence by any means.
when someone is suggesting speech is now violence...what is my natural reaction and outcome?

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm

It sucks, people from all walks of life get verbally harassed at various times. But don't see too many running to the UN. You go into the public eye and delve into controversial topics you will get uncalled for detractors. As long as she stays physically safe then toughen up. You chose to be in the public eye and even someone like the president isn't immune from some pretty outlandish threats.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Did you see the news from Australia today? Political Correctness has become a monster!!! Do we keep feeding it or shut it down? I know my answer!

Facebook 'unfriending' can constitute workplace bullying, Australian tribunal finds

Hurting someone's feelings is now workplace bullying?

Someone please put me out of my misery!

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Reallyfolks

I'm not saying I'm for censorship. I'm not at all for stopping people from saying whatever they want. I'm against all censorship.

I'm just pointing out that it's not people calling her a stupid dummy head that's got her going to court over this. This has been going on for a long time. I haven't followed it all or anything because I'm not a supporter of her cause. I like violent video games and always have. I like the sexual exploitation in them too. That's why they are fun too because they aren't reality. I've played them all my life and I'm fine. Just ask my wife. I hardly ever abuse her.

Seriously though. While I don't exactly agree with her cause I don't support a bunch of man child gamer douche bags calling for the violent rape of some woman either simply because that is the best argument they can come up with.

I realize that may not be the example given above but look into it a little more and you'll see what I'm talking about.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Nevermind...I take it all back.

edit on 25-9-2015 by the owlbear because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   
oh good, they found out where the studies came from

Yep...Thompson
Same culture war of the 90s rebranded as modern "feminist progressives".

aka, progressives are the old religious hard right that tried to ban mature games/GTA...as many suspected.
it is now officially ok to be against this if you are a liberal..stop trying to bend your mind into thinking somehow this is totally a great bold move for equality

its censorship and thought police wearing a leftist skin

John Bruce "Jack" Thompson (born July 25, 1951) is an American activist and disbarred attorney, based in Coral Gables, Florida. Thompson is known for his role as an anti-video-game activist, particularly against violence and sex in video games.[1][2][3] During his time as an attorney, Thompson focused his legal efforts against what he perceives as obscenity in modern culture. This included rap music, broadcasts by shock jock Howard Stern, the content of computer and video games and their alleged effects on children.[4]

He is also known for his unusual filings to the Florida Bar, including challenging the constitutionality of the Florida Bar itself in 1993.[5] Later the Florida Supreme Court described his filings as "repetitive, frivolous and insulting to the integrity of the court".[6] On March 20, 2008, the Florida Supreme Court imposed sanctions on Thompson, requiring that any of his future filings in the court be signed by a member of the Florida Bar other than himself.[7] In July 2008, Thompson was permanently disbarred by the Supreme Court of Florida for inappropriate conduct, including making false statements to tribunals and disparaging and humiliating litigants.

From the WiKi

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Yeah,

U.N. will have no problem trying to enforce some edict against free speech.

They don't give 2 #s about women being beat, tortured, sold, raped in most of the world but hell, we need to prosecute people who might hurt their feelings on a web page comment.
edit on 25-9-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

Did you see the news from Australia today? Political Correctness has become a monster!!! Do we keep feeding it or shut it down? I know my answer!

Facebook 'unfriending' can constitute workplace bullying, Australian tribunal finds

I see Australia as a testbed for progressive anti-liberal policys. everyday the government treats their citizens like children. I assume it will hit critical mass and the Aussys will rise up..but I fear it is the slow boiling frog scenario going on there.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   

A progressive told me your op is micro aggression

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Sooo... you are coming out in favor of professional trolling?

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX

originally posted by: seeker1963

I see Australia as a testbed for progressive anti-liberal policys. everyday the government treats their citizens like children. I assume it will hit critical mass and the Aussys will rise up..but I fear it is the slow boiling frog scenario going on there.

I live in the US, but I find myself paying more attention to what is happening across the pond, because I have come to the conclusion this is GLOBAL for the West and what is happening there will be happening here, vice versa?

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: johnwick

A progressive told me your op is micro aggression

And White Privilege!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join