It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: Boehner Announces Resignation

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Breaking NOW:
More here as this develops.

He was in tears yesterday, when the Pope was before congress...and early media speculation revolves around efforts to defund Planned Parenthood.

Perhaps, his diminishing popularity in the house led to this...or maybe he just wanted to get out, before he was voted out. He says he will leave at the end of October.
Boehner is about to make a speech, which will explain more.

It will be very interesting to see how this unfolds...and who replaces him.
Stay tuned.

Boehner Will Resign from Congress

WASHINGTON — Speaker John A. Boehner will resign from Congress and give up his House seat at the end of October, according to aides in his office.

Speaker John A. Boehner in Washington on Thursday. He is under pressure to stand up to the president on Planned Parenthood.John Boehner, Strong Abortion Foe, Is Imperiled by the Like-MindedSEPT. 17, 2015

Speaker John A. Boehner at a news conference on Capitol Hill this month. Mr. Boehner is again confronted with a rank-and-file uprising by Republican lawmakers who want to end financing of Planned Parenthood.With Possible Shutdown Nearing, Obama Looks to Take Budget Fight to G.O.P.SEPT. 16, 2015

www.nytimes.com...
edit on 25-9-2015 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

Speaker John Boehner has informed members of Congress that he will resign as Speaker and leave his seat at the end of October, NBC News has confirmed.

A Boehner aide said that "The Speaker believes putting members through prolonged leadership turmoil would do irreparable damage to the institution. He is proud of what this majority has accomplished, and his Speakership, but for the good of the Republican Conference and the institution, he will resign the Speakership and his seat in Congress, effective October 30."

Boehner has been under prolonged pressure from conservatives in his party, who have accused him of failing to fight the Obama administration on issues important to the GOP.

www.nbcnews.com...

edit on 25-9-2015 by IAMTAT because: link added

edit on 25-9-2015 by IAMTAT because: comment added

edit on Fri Sep 25 2015 by DontTreadOnMe because: trimmed overly long quote Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

+16 more 
posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

The Republican war on women's health has gone from trench-warfare to full scale nuclear attack it seems.

I think he waited to for the pope moment yesterday as he is a catholic and now has bowed out.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 08:49 AM
link   
It's going to be a gully washer if he gives a goodbye speech...

I am very interested to see who they plan to put in next. I've heard two or three names bandied about by the news but it is still uncertain it seems.

Better the evil you know?

*sigh*

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

I heard on the news a Texan, I didn't catch the name, do you know who that might be?

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

I've heard it was Jeb Hensarling...

Hensarling, who was part of Boehner's leadership team two years ago but left to chair the House Financial Services Committee, gave an expansive speech last week hosted by Heritage Action for America, a group that frequently and publicly clashes with Boehner.

www.cnn.com...

ETA - That I do realize it's an older article but it was all I could find with everything breaking.

ETA Again - Boy news is flying... Another from Texas mentioned... Louie Gohmert of Texas ???
mashable.com...

At this point who knows?

edit on 9/25/2015 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

+5 more 
posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Whenever I see someone resign unexpectedly I automatically think, 'scandal'.

Not saying this is the case one way or the other but it has happened far too many times in the past.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Or......

He is getting the hell out while he still has time.

Politicians rarely resign unless there is some HUGE scandal and then that is still even rare in the last decade.

It would have to be something very very big (and bad) to get a politician to give up their seat.

Resigning from a leadership role is one thing, completely giving up their seat... that is HUGE.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 08:59 AM
link   
He was in a position of "resign or be terminated" . It had noting to do with the "mythical war on women" or the Pope's visit. The deal was he was a do-nothing leader and the Republican Party was gonna call for his head anyway. Now , if he would just convince his counterpart , McConnell , to leave too. Congress would be a better place without the both of them. (Could have been that he had insider knowledge Trump would be the next President?)

edit on 25-9-2015 by Gothmog because: add

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 09:00 AM
link   
From the NY Times article...

Mr. Boehner’s surprise announcement came just a day after Pope Francis visited the Capitol, the fulfillment of a 20-year dream of Mr. Boehner of having a pontif address members of Congress. He had a private audience with Francis before the pope’s address to a joint meeting of Congress.

Source: www.nytimes.com...

Seems like he's been mulling this decision for awhile now, so it comes as no surprise the timing of his announcement.

Does this mean a government shutdown is all but inevitable? They promised us it wouldn't happen again...

ETA: maybe that's why he's stepping down because they promised us this would not happen again and more than likely it will, so he failed, or it could be some sinister scandal that some suggest, but I think it has a lot to do with the impending shutdown.
edit on 25-9-2015 by majesticgent because: (no reason given)

+7 more 
posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

So they AREN'T trying to defund planned parenthood?

What news are you watching or reading to get such wonderful information.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 09:02 AM
link   
hmmm more than meets the eye here I think...

does he foresee that the gov. shutdown will in fact happen? resigning beforehand so people don't point the finger at him as much???

link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz
That is becoming a unilateral deal with some hardline Dems joining in. And defunding PP wouldnt be a war on women, rather an upholding of Federal and State laws. I wish folks would just STOP thinking in terms of party lines (lies) and learn stuff on their own...but of course I dream.Some ,if the Dem Party spread it, told that jumping fro a cliff brings good fortune would line up like little lemmings.

edit on 25-9-2015 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-9-2015 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

link   
I wonder if this may be more for 'personal' reasons.
Clearly, he is waiting to make a formal statement out of respect for the Pope, currently speaking before the U.N.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I too am watching.

Being that he is catholic, maybe he see's this as a sign.

He will resign and then announce his presidential bid.

Man, these guy's do not want Hilary as president.

+14 more 
posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 09:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

No it is what it is. The Republicans are desperately trying to defund a much needed women's health service. You keep on rewriting it in your head anyway you need to make it NOT that fact.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   
A short list of replacements??

Among the Republicans getting support were Reps. Daniel Webster of Florida, Jim Jordan of Ohio, Louie Gohmert of Texas and Jeff Duncan of South Carolina, House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy and Sens. Rand Paul of Kentucky and Jeff Sessions of Alabama.

mashable.com...

Wouldn't it be funny if something happened and Nancy Pel.... Nevermind. That's more frightening than funny.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 09:09 AM
link   

An interesting development.

Life is about to get tougher for the left.....

link   
I wonder if his one-on-one meeting with the Pope has something to do with his decision.
Perhaps, he confessed something to him...was given absolution...and then decided to work on his own personal demons.

link   

Possibly, I imagine that is the most political role in DC. Not for the faint hearted. I couldn't do a day in that seat.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Whenever I see someone resign unexpectedly I automatically think, 'scandal'.

Not saying this is the case one way or the other but it has happened far too many times in the past.

I doubt a scandal is forthcoming. Most likely, a GOP revolt against him in the House was imminent, and rather than have the public appearance of defeat, he can claim he went out on his own terms.

Speaking for myself, I couldn't be happier to see him hit the road. He's a wimp.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join