It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Air Force details KC-46 fuel system issues

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 08:34 PM
link   
The Air Force has detailed the problems that Boeing has been having with the fuel system on EMD-2, which will also affect the other three EMD aircraft.

The problems began in February during testing of the fuel system for FAA certification when the fuel manifold failed a pressure test. Under c certain conditions it was reported that the system could leak. It took two months for that problem to be resolved.

During a fuel system audit it was found that fuel lines had insufficient welds that would cause their early failure. The tubes are supposed to last 40 years. EMD-1, 2, and 4 will need them replaced in the near future. By August 2017 they are required to have production representative parts installed.

The other problem found is that the tubes have too many attachment points, making them too stiff and subject to failure.

EMD-3 was cannibalized to repair -2 putting it further behind -4 which has undergone power on testing and cargo system verification. EMD-2 is scheduled to fly next Friday as the first flight of an actual KC-46.

m.aviationweek.com...

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Wow boeing can't catch any breaks on this project can they. Let's hope it doesn't affect their LRSB bid.

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 08:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Bfirez

They seem to be keeping it on the schedule required by the Air Force. Both are confident that they'll reach Milestone C in April and delivery on time. It shouldn't affect the bomber entry.

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 08:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Bfirez

Boeing's pouring a ton of internal resources at this thing to get it back on track. Including the head guy that got the 787 back from the brink.

I'm going to swing by Paine this Sat. to see if she's up and about and available for a photo shoot.

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 10:08 PM
link   

I still think this program will end up being fine.. I always thought they should of made a c-17 derivative tanker with a boon instead though. I know it was never discussed but living close to charleston, sc I have had the pleasure of seeing the globemaster flying very low and it's my favorite aircraft and I just would love to see more of that beautiful bird around. It shakes the house when it comes close and is quite graceful for being so large.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 12:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Caughtlurking

It'll be fine. Both the AF and Boeing are fairly confident that it will get back on track and make their deadlines. Once EMD -2 is flying and passes certifications they're going straight to refueling certifications to make up time and reach Milestone C.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 05:35 PM
link   

The KC-46A had its first flight today. I had a post up but it appears to have been taken down.

top topics

join