It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tsunami on way to Australia/NZ

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   
www.ndbc.noaa.gov...

Anyone with more experience can confirm or refute this? It looks to me like a ~70ft swell, going due west from chile, hitting near tonga at the last event. Is there a massive tsunami en route to NZ/Oz?

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Pray for those who live there if this is true. Horrible indeed.

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I have no real experience with this kind of thing, but I'm pretty concerned.

Have we got any experts who want to chime in?

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 09:30 AM
link   
wow you know, I'm not sure. I hope it's wrong. I hope those folks are prepared, non the less. S&F for the heads up.

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I'd be surprised if the data itself is wrong as a very similar event was recorded at chile after the EQ and the difference in time between that event and the tonga buoy is about right for a tsunami.

However, my ability to read the data could be way off.

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 09:34 AM
link   
That has to be faulty right?

a flash 80ft increase that drops away immediately?

scientists would have followed the wave forecasts and seen it coming..

wouldnt they?
edit on am935308172015-09-17T09:35:17-05:00092015p by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

edit on am935308172015-09-17T09:35:49-05:00092015p by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 09:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dem0nc1eaner
www.ndbc.noaa.gov...

Anyone with more experience can confirm or refute this? It looks to me like a ~70ft swell, going due west from chile, hitting near tonga at the last event. Is there a massive tsunami en route to NZ/Oz?

It does appear to be correct, that is if the data from the buoy is correct. I would think it would have hit by now though....

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 09:37 AM
link   
www.stuff.co.nz...

It looks like the scientists aren't expecting much...

What are we seeing on these buoys then?!? I would say error if the initial buoy in event mode wasn't showing a very similar sized swell.

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I'm getting this from the Australian Bureau Of Meteorology

I hope it helps.

link   

link   
a reply to: Dem0nc1eaner

According to RSOE EDIS the wave is only 1.2 feet
edit on 17-9-2015 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: Agit8dChop

That LOOKS exactly like a tsunami... big drop in water level, followed by massive swell then back to big drop.

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 09:40 AM
link   
If there is a storm in that area, waves can easily reach that height in the open ocean.

www.srh.noaa.gov...

Wind, Swell and Rogue Waves

Wind strength. The wind must be moving faster than the wave crests for energy to be transferred.
Wind duration. Strong wind that does not blow for a long period will not generate large waves.
Fetch. This is the uninterrupted distance over which the wind blows without significant change in direction.

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: tinker9917

Actually, only 1.2ft so about 40cm.

I was reading earlier though, that tsunamis tend to have minor "leading" waves. Usually the third wave is the biggest. Unsure how correct this is.

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: MentorsRiddle
Pray for those who live there if this is true. Horrible indeed.

Yeah, pray to Khnum (or whoever) for the twit's living on the coast. I live 500km inland from the east coast, a tsunami couldn't come even close.

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Wow! The quakes just keep coming for chille! Another 5.5 20 mins ago and most likely more to come.

Deffo watch the waves....

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Ok, but what about this -

www.ndbc.noaa.gov...

Looks like the same height, about the right time before the other buoy went into event mode, for it to be a travelling wave...

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dem0nc1eaner
a reply to: DAVID64

Ok, but what about this -

www.ndbc.noaa.gov...

Looks like the same height, about the right time before the other buoy went into event mode, for it to be a travelling wave...

Yeah, if 2 buoys are registering the same thing I would thing the margin for error is slim, though I am no expert on this stuff. It does appear to be a little over a 20M high water column which would be big, even for open ocean rogue waves. If that is a tsunami and travelling fast, it will be much larger by the time it reaches land....everyone in NZ better watch for the outflow of the tide.....

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 09:46 AM
link   

edit on 17-9-2015 by Hyperia because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Tsunami warning for Christchurch, Banks Peninsula and Canterbury

Civil Defence is warning people to keep away from all Canterbury beaches and river mouths until early Saturday morning following the 8.3 magnitude earthquake in Chile.

The tsunami risk is not expected to be significant for Christchurch and Banks Peninsula, with experts predicting waves of up to 40cm from midnight tonight.

However, people have been warned to stay away from all beaches and river mouths in the region for 24 hours after the first waves arrive.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join